Author Topic: Iron Maiden in flight  (Read 731 times)

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
Iron Maiden in flight
« on: February 26, 2016, 04:47:09 PM »
:)

I did post this over at the Green place, it being a bit quiet here but they seem to have aged and not in much of a good way :)

Iron Maiden are on a world tour in their own chartered 747 with major band member in command, a very competent pilot, you just cannot make this stuff up, reminds me of Bradley Denton's amazing novel "Wrack and Roll" :)

I think it is absolutely fabulous and if I could would be at a concert, all of which are being very well received apparently.

Here's the big bird on final to the first tour stop after leaving Cardiff - cool paint job :)

Cheers

Edit does not want to insert, probably because I grabbed it off another site :)

Politically incorrect?  You betcha!!!  :-)

Offline Rybags

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Maiden in flight
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 06:48:49 PM »
Caption - "Run to the hills".

Wonder if they got "666" in the registration of the plane?

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 01:48:28 PM »

Not sure on this tour, they did when they were using a 757, apparently they carry so much kit and so many support folks now they had to upgrade to a 747 :)

Cheers

Offline Richo

• Big Kahuna
  • Fast, Cheap, Light...pick any two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 06:50:05 AM »
Cool !!
Work Hard, Play Hard, Stay Hard

Meet my little Baby

Offline LogicprObe

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 07:35:06 PM »
Caption - "Run to the hills".

Wonder if they got "666" in the registration of the plane?

Gotta play it then!

Offline Smokey

• Knucklehead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 11:27:14 AM »
Did this jet ever land at Sydney?  It might be a false imprinted memory but I'm sure I spotted it there years ago.

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 01:45:23 PM »
Not this one mate, been painted especially for this years Book of Souls tour - going to be in Australia in May though.

I can't think of an aircraft you could confuse it with but then again there have been a lot of special paint jobs on 747s.

Cheers

Edit:

They don't fly to Sydney any more but maybe you saw an Air Alaska ship painted like this?

« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 01:48:00 PM by Hardman »

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 12:59:16 PM »
Bugger:

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/iron-maiden-plane-damaged-in-chile-airport-crash/news-story/cabfdd392fddde60d0d2fe80cb650cc9

Doesn't say how badly damaged but Santiago might not be the best place for repairs, although LAN are based there and have 787s come to think of it.

Strange accident but not Dickinson's fault, fortunately, or they'd never live it down :)

Cheers

Offline LordDread

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Eat da-shiang bao-tza shr duh lah doo-tze,dong ma?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 04:20:18 PM »
Strange?? not really, incompetent or lacking fail safe SOP/maintenance ... more like then not. I just cant see a hitch pin linking a huge expensive and (relatively) delicate machine to heavy blunt object just "coming out".

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 05:17:57 PM »

I have never flown really big iron and had even less to do with them in ground maneuvers but according to those who should know this has been an ongoing SNAFU by Boeing for decades.

Seems there is some pin that connects the aircraft to the tug that is inserted from below and locked in, it has been the case on all 7xx except the 777 where as an engineer put it sanity prevailed and the drop in /use gravity way was adopted - bizarrely they went back to the insert from below with the 787.

Santiago has a deal of 777 traffic, some 787 now but not a lot of 747, best guess is a 777 pin was used and it fell out...

Aviation is a harsh mistress especially when there is not commonality and you have lightly trained guys moving multi-million dollar hulls around.

Fucking crazy even first world, get a bit off the beaten track and this crap WILL happen.

Cheers