Author Topic: Like putting on an old glove  (Read 563 times)

Offline Smokey

• Knucklehead
    • View Profile
Like putting on an old glove
« on: April 10, 2016, 08:03:57 PM »
Some of you blokes might know that I'm a trade qualified master locksmith,,,  But haven't worked in the trade for just over ten years.
Now just for personal shits and giggles, Last week I decided to test myself at how good I am at picking a lock.
I was always very good with a snap gun and average with manual picks.
So I brought out dozens of locks I have lying around the garage and set to work.
I could still snap gun many of them but fucking useless now with the manual picks. 
I spent an hour, or more every day for a week not getting anywhere.  Until today,  Something just clicked.  The feel just came back.  Now I'm getting these brand new locks open in just minutes.
Here is the kicker,  I had to revert to youtube to relearn how to fucking do it  ::w

Offline Rybags

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
Re: Like putting on an old glove
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 08:58:32 PM »
PMSL.

When I was about 12yo I got into lock picking.  Made a bunch of picks, some from old keys, some from strips of metal.  The thing is though they weren't much like the ones even back then that were in professional use (for starters I had next to no hope of making any of the thin wirey types).

But I was able to pick plenty of locks.  Amazing how pathetic most of the cheap-arsed ones they used on garages, sheds, cheap padlocks and the like were.

It was one of those passing fad things though, didn't persist with it.  Though I've had like most people those few times in adult life where the skill would have come in real handy.  Locked out of cars a few times though in every case the pull the button with wire or tape method worked fine.  Locked out of house multiple times and one where it was impossible to get in, my oldies phoned up a cousin of mine who was a locksmith at the time.

That said though, it was only necessary as I'd engaged the deadlock.  I've had just the normal door lock engage, getting through that is all of 10 seconds work with a strip of plastic from soft-drink bottle.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 09:00:32 PM by Rybags »

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 12:54:10 AM »
:)

There is a long, long story I could tell of how I have zero feel for lock-picking but it might embarrass an occasional lurker :)

To give possible levity I have an utterly insane story that can't have context of once trying to shoot out a lock with a .38, after ducking the ricochet the lock was so frozen it was easier to kick the door down :)

I honestly do wonder how I made 30.... :)

Cheers

Edit: oh, I should say it's not really a me story, I was just along for the ride :)

« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 01:08:37 AM by Hardman »
Politically incorrect?  You betcha!!!  :-)

Offline AccessDenied

• Custom Chrome Hardtail
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 10:54:05 PM »
My dad tells the story of his time in the RAAF.  Part of it was 'escape'  (He was about to be sent to Vietnam).  And lockpicking was part of it.

So.  Classroom full of RAAF "students".  Learning how to pick locks.

Do you think there was 1 door on the entire airbase that was safe after that?

The next lesson was "When is it appropriate to do lockpicking?"

Offline LogicprObe

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 11:01:39 PM »

I always thought about learning it but never did.

Offline Smokey

• Knucklehead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 12:48:38 PM »
You can legally buy picks and use them on your own stuff or friends who consent.
Just cant do it for money or get caught with them in a scenario that smells like your going to use them in a crime. Just like a screw driver and crow bar.  Wrap the pick set in a balaclava and store them in your glove box and your fucked.  :locked:
There are groups out there that meet up and are also on FB.  Its called "Lock Sport" for those that are not locksmiths.
Thirty three bucks or so,   gets you a basic starter kit.
https://www.lockpicksaustralia.com.au/product/kick-start-sparrows/