Author Topic: Your favorite car of all time ?  (Read 2526 times)

Offline Richo

• Big Kahuna
  • Fast, Cheap, Light...pick any two
    • View Profile
Your favorite car of all time ?
« on: June 16, 2015, 08:20:59 PM »
Rules:  You can only pick one car, money no object but you will have to drive it daily for the rest of your life.

Oh and post a pic !!
Work Hard, Play Hard, Stay Hard

Meet my little Baby

Offline Smokey

• Knucklehead
    • View Profile
Re: Your favorite car of all time ?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 09:47:23 PM »
You went and threw a spanner in that. My first thought was a Studebaker Champion,,,, But no air con.
Need to do sum thunkin

Offline Richo

• Big Kahuna
  • Fast, Cheap, Light...pick any two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 10:26:04 PM »
Ha !  A thinking man's challenge.
Work Hard, Play Hard, Stay Hard

Meet my little Baby

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 06:45:05 AM »
:)

I don't let practicality get in my way when it comes to cars, my favorite car of all time is without a doubt this :

http://www.bloomberg.com/ss/06/02/classic_club/image/4_ferrari-308-gtsi.jpg

The 308 SS, I've even driven one on a couple of occasions, courtesy of wealthy friends, way outside my reach but the realisation of all that was right about Ferrari from the 246 Dino that was apparently Enzo's secret favorite and the 308 just updated it.

It's sort of the big brother of my beloved Fiat X1/9s:

http://best-carz.com/data_images/gallery/models/fiat-x1-9/fiat-x1-9-06.jpg

I've owned two of those and if there was a rust-free one left on the planet I'd probably be bidding on it - I know all about having completely impractical cars as a daily ride :)

I just would have to hope that the money no object bit included a live-in mechanic although a friend still has one and maintains it is not as bad as you might think in terms of reliability :)

Ferrari tragics do tend to live in in their own reality bubble :)

Cheers

Politically incorrect?  You betcha!!!  :-)

Offline LordDread

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Eat da-shiang bao-tza shr duh lah doo-tze,dong ma?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 01:30:24 PM »
Presuming one has money to cover wear/tear/etc etc, you made this way way to easy mate.

WARNING large image

Can be driven like a normal car, has all modern cons, can get over speed humps.... and most importantly (in a fantasy world) can ouyt run any damn cop car, and if you open the window at near its top speed, it can also remove your face for you :P

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 01:34:22 PM »

Getting a 404 on that link Dready but can see what you would choose - problem with those is the insurance :)

Cheers

Edit: See you updated it :)

Offline LordDread

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 08:30:20 PM »
yeah a part of the url the forum doesnt like, apperantly it cant handle   _-_  it breaks after the first _

Offline AccessDenied

• Custom Chrome Hardtail
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 10:53:22 PM »
I love classic cars.  I really do (Which is why I'm restoring a vintage bike!).  But I'm a gadget guy at heart.  So at present, I have to say the Tesla S Roadster (P85).

I want the gadgets and doohickeys.  It would press my buttons whilst I press it's... touchscreen. 

What I wouldn't like is the cost to insure and maintenance.  However, like my uncle said when he was servicing Mercedes.  "We asked why we have to charge so much to service Mercedes.  The reply was 'If they can afford a Mercedes, they can afford to service it' ".

AD

Offline Smokey

• Knucklehead
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 02:47:04 PM »
Total practicality for me  :D
Lamborghini LH002 4WD

Offline Rybags

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 04:17:54 PM »
The fact it has to be your everyday drive and serve the various purposes you need makes it a bit tricky.

I like the look of the Ford F-series Velociraptor (starting point is a Raptor then extra work done by 3rd party outfit).
But realistically, I'd probably have to end up going for something like a Hilux twin cab.
Then again, who knows... I might even sway towards something like a BMW X7 or Porsche Cayenne.

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 05:02:45 PM »

Richo didn't say you were nominating your ONLY vehicle, just your daily drive - believe me if I had a 308, or an X1/9 for that matter, in the driveway I'd have some kind of dual cab ute out the back ;)

I'm really not quite sure I understand these luxury 4WD SUVs though, granted most of the suburban tanks on the roads these days never go off-road, which I'd imagine no one with a high-end German or Italian one would ever do anyway but I had a good look over the Cayenne a few weeks back out of pure interest whilst waiting for goods in the dealership up the road and I really could not see what you get for your money :)

Maybe it drives better, Porsche are absolute past masters at charging one hell of a lot for their badge but compensating you with the driving experience - a mate of mine once had a 911 Targa, inside it was a bloody Volkswagen, but geez it was a stunner to drive :) I'm actually going to find out - I seem to have reached an age and a demeanor where the wanker salespeeps think I might actually be interested in buying one so they are organising a test drive. :) ( That was typical Porsche in itself, couldn't just take it around the block :) )

Cheers

Offline Rybags

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 09:25:33 PM »
OK, daily drive but not the only car.

Hard to go past a Plymouth Barracuda.  IMO it's easily the best looking of the classic Pony cars and one of the most desirable US muscle cars as well.
Though my preference would be one that's plum crazy or red.
Also, I'd minimise the fussy front end.  Get rid of the fog lights and bonnet pins.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 09:28:14 PM by Rybags »

Offline LordDread

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 03:18:09 AM »
well the Veyron is my daily car...but this is my weekend car.. Clearly, its the one on the left   8)

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 04:58:21 PM »

I really hesitate to ask just what that is.... Johannesburg school bus? :)

Cheers

Offline LordDread

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 12:07:03 AM »

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 08:30:51 AM »
;)

Well, I was partly right :)

Cheers

Offline LordDread

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2015, 03:35:57 PM »

i nice rounded review on its abilities :P

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2015, 04:23:15 PM »
;)

Ten tons - guessing the economy is just awesome.... :)

Cheers

Offline LordDread

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2015, 05:58:46 PM »
fixed the Wiki link, and yeah 700 km's :p

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2015, 06:49:51 PM »
 rofl rofl

I kinda meant the litres per km, have to figure in 10 tons there's a decent sized fuel tank :)

A very awesome beast must admit, makes you wonder why the US Army is still driving on dangerous IED infected roads in Hummers....

Actually I sort of know why, the Hummer was never meant for the purpose it has been pushed into, it was specc'd as a real Jeep replacement and as usual the military went nuts. there was supposed to be a cross-over point with the Bradley and the third-gen APCs, never happened.

I'm pretty sure most all of us have seen "Blackhawk Down" that's what happens when you have disparate vehicles, politics and the Pentagon, a distant threat environment and the loggies don't get what they want.

I seem to recall that they didn't get an AC-130 either, could have kinda changed the battlefield.

I've been told by someone who was there although not in the Ranger group if I recall that both the book and the movie are a bit of a travesty in terms of what really happened and I've no reason to disbelieve him, most war stories are inaccurate, but when I first saw the movie and had already ridden in a Hummer I was kinda glad it was not me in downtown Mog...

Too serious, if I could have a garage of wonderful, wonderful cars this would definitely be one of them:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Boss+Mustang&tbm=isch&imgil=_0wH5Rrtg_5guM%253A%253BIcxn0ROcZhsymM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.mustangspecs.com%25252Fboss%25252F70boss.shtml&source=iu&pf=m&fir=_0wH5Rrtg_5guM%253A%252CIcxn0ROcZhsymM%252C_&biw=1680&bih=977&usg=__4MEhDUQ2sS1LenW81Pgu_uIWwZI%3D&ved=0CCcQyjc&ei=38qHVZeFJ4_48QXl2oKYAQ#imgrc=_0wH5Rrtg_5guM%253A%3BIcxn0ROcZhsymM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.mustangspecs.com%252Fboss%252Fpics%252F70boss30215.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.mustangspecs.com%252Fboss%252F70boss.shtml%3B864%3B480&usg=__4MEhDUQ2sS1LenW81Pgu_uIWwZI%3D

I even owned one once, although in much more sedate British Racing Green, think Bullitt :)

Handled like a barge, ate clutch plates, did 8 MPG but damn !!! THAT was a car, and a Ferrari eater - in a straight line ;)

Cheers

Edit: I did not know if the link would do that but wanted it to - thread needs more muscle cars !! :)

« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 06:53:28 PM by Hardman »

Offline LordDread

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2015, 06:58:26 PM »
if u want bad fuel economy, then  get the ferrari 4wd or a humvee

that beast of mine makes 1100 torques (whatever they really are :P ), cummins truck engine, so fuel wont be that bad by comparison to a humvee , which is  totaly crap ((you should know HM, the yank Mil boy refere to that figure as gallons to the mile ;p )

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2015, 07:23:32 PM »
 rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

I could mention what a mil-jet consumes in burner, but let's stay terrestrial. :)

Humvees are indeed bloody awful gas hogs, I always figured they were designed by oil companies - even Tom Clancy, who bought one and loved it, was not impressed but sort of hid that because so far as he was concerned nothing from the US could be bad ;)

Dunno about a Modena 4WD, the 308 gets around 18 MPG in cruise I'm told, 12 when putting the thumb on traffic light heroes :)

It's an eighties engine, but it would just be a crime to transplant anything else in :)

Cheers

Offline fuknKIWI

• Custom Chrome Hardtail
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2015, 10:05:50 PM »
My dream car is Mk2 Jaguar with a Chevrolet 454 in it...guts and glory
I might settle for 350 Chev power plant...but hey $$$ are no object here
Half gallon quarter acre Pavlova paradise.

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2015, 09:10:27 AM »

I like that one Kiwi - Jag engines are a miracle of complexity that makes even Lucas electrics look reliable :)

Cheers

Offline LordDread

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2015, 04:53:39 PM »
im waiting to see Richo's offering, which muscle car he goes with :P