Author Topic: Nice bit of flying :)  (Read 309 times)

Online Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
Nice bit of flying :)
« on: June 14, 2015, 07:57:09 AM »
http://www.news.com.au/world/watch-this-boeing-dreamliner-in-incredible-near-vertical-takeoff/story-fndir2ev-1227396465263

Do have to agree with the commentary in the article, it's not as steep as it looks, maybe 25/30 degrees but if you consider that a typical rotate is around 5 degrees :)

In my charter days I used to pull climb-outs like that in the Lear 24C to the delight of a couple of regular passengers, and Heathrow tower :)

It leaves me with two thoughts:

I guess Vietnam have forgiven Boeing for the B-52

and

What rabbit are Airbus going to pull out of the hat for pay-back at the airshow in their backyard ? :)

Lastly - damn the Dreamliner is a sexy looking beast :)

Cheers

Politically incorrect?  You betcha!!!  :-)

Offline Rybags

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
Re: Nice bit of flying :)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 11:41:57 AM »
Buggered if the video will work for me, fairly sure it's this one

It was at the other joint, I commented about it there too.  Looking again, there's some nice creative camera work, probably taken by a chopper or maybe even remote drone.
As it takes off, the camera descends which accentuates the takeoff angle and rate of climb.
Still, pretty impressive but as I said, and comments in the article and elsewhere reflect - probably next to zero load of fuel, freight and passengers.
Though the entire purpose of the plane is to eliminate hubs, so short field performance and high climb rate would have been obvious priorities of design.

Online Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 11:54:22 AM »
Strange, works fine for me, but yeah same vid.

Oh the camera work is indeed very clever and you are dead right the 787 is very much a P2P concept. Super critical wings like those do make for rather startling performance ;)

Cheers

Offline Rybags

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 01:31:41 PM »
Yep, the wings would play a huge part.  Did a quick comparo of power:weight vs a few others like 737 and 757 and it's nothing special there.  Just under 0.5 where some variants of the other two get up towards 0.7.

Online Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 02:42:52 PM »
Hmm,

I'd guess it was significantly better on this particular flight, as the article said, likely to have been very lightly loaded.

The wings really do make a huge difference though, will never forget first time I had a flight on an Airbus 340, also super critical wing, the thing practically walked into the air :)

Cheers