Author Topic: Windows 10 ... anyone had a play ?  (Read 2595 times)

Offline LordDread

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Eat da-shiang bao-tza shr duh lah doo-tze,dong ma?
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 ... anyone had a play ?
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2015, 07:50:53 PM »
wmp runs just fine, only had to install the x264 codex for the newer shit, yes theres other options, like vlc...i havnt used vlc for a long long time.. because, frankly compared to wmp at the time, it was fucking shit.. washed out video and muddy sound ..infact the ONLY thing it did better then wmp at the tiome, was play subtitles.

Only prob ive had with wmp is its stuttered on 2 videos, picture wise, so far... but given that i only have the one codex pack for it, and the weird shit some people do with them (both being x264 ) im not overly bothered,mostly i watch movie's via the settop and tv.

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2015, 09:54:45 AM »
Interesting, the Win 10 forums have been making a big deal over WMP not being there.

I don't do video on the PC much at all but what little I do VLC has been fine.

Cheers
Politically incorrect?  You betcha!!!  :-)

Offline LordDread

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2015, 05:48:52 PM »
yeah i was annoyed i was going to have to get vlc, but the few shows i'd watched on it i'd just used the tv/video app it has ... then suddenly wmp

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2015, 06:21:12 PM »
:)

I just don't watch much on the PC, in fact I do not watch much..period, although that might change, Netflix is... interesting :)

Cheers

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2015, 06:47:55 PM »
Hmm,

Here's an interesting one with Win10.

Wife decided that she needed a tablet, possible hospital visits and in her usual fashion bought two, one for me.

After a look around and really thinking the need was hardly onerous found Dick Smith selling Asus T100 TAF for $299 which being a transformer with docking keyboard was a steal - ok Atom, only 2GB RAM, but, tablets, 32GB storage and a nice long tested battery life but Win 8.1. A Win10 upgrade was a given in fact was first pop up on booting but the compatibility wizard did not pick up that more space would be needed for the install.

No biggee, I thought, plugged in a 16GB USB stick and on the install went, until at one reboot it went into repair mode in a loop - could not find the stick...

Being I had two of them and they were bloody slow charging AND discharged under load I assume on first charge only, I left the first one and after a bit of a Google did the second with an external USB spinning disk whilst the first re-charged.

No problem, Win10 all nicely installed just need to piss off all the ASUS crapware and get everything customised but I think I'm going to charge cycle the successful one a couple of times before worrying too much on the finesse.

So as soon as the first one is charged should have no issues getting it finished, Win10 it seems just did not like the stick drivers in one boot for some reason whereas the mech. disk was fine. Could be simpler than that, the USB stick was a good SANDisk but USB2, the drive is a 1TB Samsung and USB3, the USB specification is getting much better at quick recognition :)

What does bemuse me is that after all these years MS programmers STILL have no concept of tidy compact code. Once installed there was almost half of the 32GB free BEFORE I clean up, so the install not only needed that but another 10GB of scratch space as well....

Fucking ridiculous, would love the drug franchise at Redmond :)

Cheers

Offline Richo

• Big Kahuna
  • Fast, Cheap, Light...pick any two
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2015, 01:06:05 PM »
Yeah.. bloody M$.

I had an issue with my dual boot lappy after win10 upgrade. That fast start shit that auto engaged on windows fucked up my linux install by not allowing ti to mount my other always connected drives anymore (windows C and data D).

Fix was easy enough by booting into windows and manually disabling their bullshit but still .... those wackers at redmond are not playing nice ....
Work Hard, Play Hard, Stay Hard

Meet my little Baby

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2015, 01:50:36 PM »
Yeah,

Heard of that happening to someone else just before Christmas - that fast-boot stuff is no way all it is cracked up to be.

Cheers

Offline LordDread

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2015, 09:19:20 PM »
i dunno, 12 seconds from pressing power button till my ssd installed windows is full up and ready ...seems fast to me :p

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2015, 09:10:01 AM »

It is fast Dready, perhaps too fast but it achieves it through various tricks, one of which is what causes the glitch Richo experienced, it does not allow time for some devices to mount properly.

It completely borked an install on a Tablet that I was doing through that little problem.

Overall though it is a pretty good OS.

Cheers

Offline LordDread

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2015, 11:29:47 AM »
yeah im very happy (fuck me with a MS product :/) with win10, had the same thoughts as when i tried xp . win7 ... yeah i will be back to the old OS in a day ... happy to be wrong again. Im on the right upgrade pathing :P workgroups 3.11 & dosshell 7 > 95 > 2k > xp > 7 > 10 :P .. skipped all that rubbish in between. Im still avoiding *nix , cause im sure we still have our old disagreement, nix hates me, so i hate it  rofl  never had any luck getting any nix to install, bad things happen, hardware breaks (coincidence maybe, but i aint taken any chances with decent pc gear :p ),shit just doesnt work..only way i've ever got nix to work is via a boot cd .. which is hardly worth it. Dont get me wrong, theres times when i wish it was different... i'd love a simple effective gateway box,but sadly we just dont get along  ;)

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2015, 02:35:00 PM »

*Nix has its place more a case of what distro really, for simple stuff Mint seems the go.

I'm not totally happy with 10 - yet, mainly for some of the useful stuff it has discarded or buried deep but it's stable, fast and not TOO big a hog. I guess we will be debating over builds from hereon :)

Cheers