Author Topic: Changing a 99 4x4 Hilux starter motor  (Read 1336 times)

Offline Smokey

• Knucklehead
    • View Profile
Changing a 99 4x4 Hilux starter motor
« on: October 15, 2015, 08:03:16 AM »
Its starting to miss and werrr on me. Ive never changed a starter motor before.
My options are
:Have the Auto electrician swap out the spline gear at a cost of about $300 or maybe just under.
:Buy a complete new starter motor off E bay for around $240 and fit it myself.

Are they just a bolt on part or are there traps?

Offline LordDread

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Eat da-shiang bao-tza shr duh lah doo-tze,dong ma?
    • View Profile
Re: Changing a 99 4x4 Hilux starter motor
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 10:14:16 AM »
not worked on a Lux, but get under there and  have a look at the location, it should be a simple matter of 2 bolts and a pair of wires, done, but locations in some cars may lead to... mofosonofabitchcuntscrapasshole moments when you realise that you need to unbolt a heap of stuff to get to it (certain fords were know to be a bitch, remove exhaust headers to get at the starter (also a reason the used to know faster then most..being cooked by stupid high temps)

Also to consider:
     Do you like getting dirty and hands on.
     Do you like scrapping skin off your knuckles
     Do you like voiding/not having warranty
     Can you be assed doing it to save about $60

If you answered No to any of them... pay the auto elec :P

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 10:38:15 AM »
If Toyota haven't changed things it will be a piece of cake, my younger brother has a Hilux somewhat older than yours, we replaced the starter in the time it takes to drink a couple of beers :)

However, starter motors are a frequently replaced item on Hiluxes that go bush, they are somewhat exposed to water etc. That has led to there being quite a market for non-genuine motors according to bro who lives in the country and works for a mob that have lots of Hiluxes. With the non-genuine there can apparently be issues and I'd guess from EBay it would be non-genuine ?

Oh, apart from what Dready said you definitely need some ramps or access to a hoist to get the job done in the time we did it, otherwise it would not I think be a pleasant job at all.

Cheers
Politically incorrect?  You betcha!!!  :-)

Offline Smokey

• Knucklehead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 03:17:40 PM »
Yeh, I think this is a Chinglish seller
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Starter-Motor-to-TOYOTA-HiLux-LN86-LN106-LN106R-LN107-LN111-eng-3L-2-8L-Diesel-/261255539838?hash=item3cd40b2c7e:m:mh7Cr8sL4O-Bvi4TWnKDqPQ

Got the price wrong, Its $121 delivered  ::w
I did some serching and it seems its the top bolt that is difficult to get out.  Looking at it I can see how.
If I can crack the top bolt, Ill tighten it back up and order a new starter

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 03:40:30 PM »
Hmm,

They must have changed something in that case it was dead easy on bro's wagon.

With difficult access unless it's total obstruction as Dready described it's usually a case of right tool.

I had that with my Pug just a while ago, fiddle-farted around for an hour, waited for the blue air to clear, went up to SuperCheap and picked up a flex-extension for the socket set, all fixed in minutes :)

Dunno if you can see enough from the EBay pic but bro said that the non-genuines look different and have a three wire connection for some reason. I had a quick Google around and a site in Zimbabwe said same thing.

Cheers
Politically incorrect?  You betcha!!!  :-)

Offline fuknKIWI

• Custom Chrome Hardtail
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 06:59:31 PM »
not worked on a Lux, but get under there and  have a look at the location, it should be a simple matter of 2 bolts and a pair of wires, done, but locations in some cars may lead to... mofosonofabitchcuntscrapasshole moments when you realise that you need to unbolt a heap of stuff to get to it (certain fords were know to be a bitch, remove exhaust headers to get at the starter (also a reason the used to know faster then most..being cooked by stupid high temps)

Also to consider:
     Do you like getting dirty and hands on.
     Do you like scrapping skin off your knuckles
     Do you like voiding/not having warranty
     Can you be assed doing it to save about $60

If you answered No to any of them... pay the auto elec :P

Not to mention expensive fuck ups and broken frets  >:D
Half gallon quarter acre Pavlova paradise.