Author Topic: White Elephant?  (Read 5760 times)

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
Re: White Elephant?
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2016, 08:04:58 PM »
Heh,

It became ridiculous years ago, and still dismays me.

Damn thing looks like a toy - very un Lockheed .

I'm just tired of it TBH...

Cheers
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 12:59:49 PM by Hardman »
Politically incorrect?  You betcha!!!  :-)

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2016, 01:45:14 PM »
 :)

This damned near had me on the floor laughing.

A very old mate of mine was one of the early F-22 test pilots, loved the thing. Then Boeing snared him for a few years and he did work on some stealthy version of the F-15 that has yet to see the light of day.

Then the Pentagon asked hm via Boeing if they could borrow him to go do a round robin eval of current jets - I doubt there is a better qualified pilot on earth to do that.

So off he goes., Sukhoi were very accommodating, although I doubt they advised the Kremlin, says the SU-35 is everything everyone has said of it, ie. brilliant although he thinks the F-22 would probably still have an edge.

The French could not wait to show the Rafale, which, like any French aircraft is sort of alluring - I understand, believe me I do. :)

They also fed him so much wine he decided to wait a day or two before heading up to Saab. Loved the Grippen - I'm really not surprised, I always have loved Saab aircraft, last I flew was the Viggen. I think I told that tale before - span it when it was still in prototype, very laconic chase pilot said after "it's not actually cleared for that yet, how was it ?" Span and recovered fine but canard spin characteristics were a little unexplored back then.  Saab cars on the other hand - yuck...

Then off to the UK and was utterly delighted by the Typhoon II, he believes it would in every way except stealth equal the F-22.

So finally he goes back to the States and hops into an F-35 - he used to fly the Harrier so V/STOL was nothing new to him.

"Well, ? So how is it?" I asked

"Could not wait to get out of the bloody thing" was his reply - "piece of crap."

When a test pilot of over 25 years and 10 years line and combat time before that makes that comment I guess you need to listen...

On the up side he thinks it can be fixed, but they are going to have to unlock some of the -22 system code - could get interesting, Lockheed have felt like they have been fumbling in the dark with their hands tied for quite a while because of that.

Cheers

Offline Smokey

• Knucklehead
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2016, 03:08:20 PM »
Then along comes trump, With one tweet and wipes billions off lockheads worth.  ::p
The Australian defence Minister saying,,,, "It's still good, It's still good" "Its a seppo problem, Not ours"
Not ours?  Australia Invested in this piece of shit. ITS OUR PROBLEM  ;qz

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2016, 03:31:15 PM »
Then along comes trump, With one tweet and wipes billions off lockheads worth.  ::p
The Australian defence Minister saying,,,, "It's still good, It's still good" "Its a seppo problem, Not ours"
Not ours?  Australia Invested in this piece of shit. ITS OUR PROBLEM  ;qz

:)

In real terms we didn't put THAT much in, just we have a purchase commitment.

I really fail to understand, all political bullshit in the end, it is not the right aircraft for Australian defense, we have unique needs but despite my frequent mentions of such we are not going to be buying Sukhoi :)

I think the best alternative is the Typhoon II but it's a long time since the RAAF had UK aircraft on inventory, so they are a bit nervous - I do understand, the engineering has its foibles :)  (So does American by the way, crawling around inside an F-15 is apparently not fun :) )

Cheers

Offline Rybags

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2016, 01:39:15 AM »
If they shitcan it we might end up saving money.  Problem is, go chasing something else and it probably means late 20s before it arrives.

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2016, 02:01:41 AM »
If they shitcan it we might end up saving money.  Problem is, go chasing something else and it probably means late 20s before it arrives.

Rafale we could have next week, Typhoon week after, F-15S in a month, all proven designs, I've personally only flown one of those, the first, was a delight, but if my mates like the others I'm happy :)

Strangely, and I have not flown it, but mention the F-18 and they all go "meh"

Very opinionated people are fighter pilots :)

Cheers

Offline Rybags

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2016, 08:16:58 AM »
A modernised stealthier F-15 is just so obvious, improves on F-18C and fills the void left by the F-111 better than most, but we've been over that before.
Stupid modern attitude with just about everything is just because something's newer it must be better.

With the money saved by not going the ridiculous path with the F-35, the US probably could have had a manned mission to Mars by now.  In fact probably a dozen of them.

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2016, 01:46:34 PM »
Yes, very likely.

I don't talk to him often but I had a Christmas call from a guy I know at Lockheed - he's been lurking the thread for a while - wondered about that IP.

I asked him about the -35, he doesn't work on it, busy with -22 upgrades but his opinion was somewhat unprintable :)

I dunno, apparently there are now two due up the road at Pierce in the next few weeks - I just requested and will receive this week the interim manuals - maybe I'll go con a ride, curiosity might yet kill the cat but not if the seat works :)

I really am getting way too old for this, and my body keeps telling me that, but as my grandfather used to say you keep on living until you die, you do not wait for it to happen :) He made it to 96, so I have quite a bit left in me.

Being I'm supposed to fly a Mirage in a few weeks I guess I better go do a bit of revision - been a while :)

Now to figure out how to hide that from the wife - she already thinks I'm crazy, no need to confirm it :)

Eh, a Mirage doesn't scare me at all, love the lady, -35, hmm, we'll see..

Cheers

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2017, 11:37:04 AM »
Doesn't seem to be getting any better:

http://www.news.com.au/technology/f35-has-long-list-of-deficiencies-says-pentagon-operation-testing-and-evaluation-office/news-story/d188a16c3c48ba7409804e01b22de14c

A mate is part of the first deployment, told me last week he hates the thing.

Cheers

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2017, 03:33:24 PM »

And still it gets worse:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3430571/From-ejector-seats-kill-computer-pilots-t-log-Pentagon-F-35-fighter-jet-report-reveals-massive-problems-facing-expensive-weapon-history.html

I had overlooked that that troublesome cannon has less than 200 rounds at load-out - ridiculous, you'd go through those in no time flat. Then what do you do in a close in fight?

Oh, and it has also been revealed it can't currently fly in rain and is a ludicrous amount over-budget.

Piece of garbage but I am going up to take a look end of April, my doc might even clear me for flying by then :)

Cheers