Author Topic: White Elephant?  (Read 6137 times)

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
Re: White Elephant?
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2016, 08:04:58 PM »
Heh,

It became ridiculous years ago, and still dismays me.

Damn thing looks like a toy - very un Lockheed .

I'm just tired of it TBH...

Cheers
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 12:59:49 PM by Hardman »
Politically incorrect?  You betcha!!!  :-)

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2016, 01:45:14 PM »
 :)

This damned near had me on the floor laughing.

A very old mate of mine was one of the early F-22 test pilots, loved the thing. Then Boeing snared him for a few years and he did work on some stealthy version of the F-15 that has yet to see the light of day.

Then the Pentagon asked hm via Boeing if they could borrow him to go do a round robin eval of current jets - I doubt there is a better qualified pilot on earth to do that.

So off he goes., Sukhoi were very accommodating, although I doubt they advised the Kremlin, says the SU-35 is everything everyone has said of it, ie. brilliant although he thinks the F-22 would probably still have an edge.

The French could not wait to show the Rafale, which, like any French aircraft is sort of alluring - I understand, believe me I do. :)

They also fed him so much wine he decided to wait a day or two before heading up to Saab. Loved the Grippen - I'm really not surprised, I always have loved Saab aircraft, last I flew was the Viggen. I think I told that tale before - span it when it was still in prototype, very laconic chase pilot said after "it's not actually cleared for that yet, how was it ?" Span and recovered fine but canard spin characteristics were a little unexplored back then.  Saab cars on the other hand - yuck...

Then off to the UK and was utterly delighted by the Typhoon II, he believes it would in every way except stealth equal the F-22.

So finally he goes back to the States and hops into an F-35 - he used to fly the Harrier so V/STOL was nothing new to him.

"Well, ? So how is it?" I asked

"Could not wait to get out of the bloody thing" was his reply - "piece of crap."

When a test pilot of over 25 years and 10 years line and combat time before that makes that comment I guess you need to listen...

On the up side he thinks it can be fixed, but they are going to have to unlock some of the -22 system code - could get interesting, Lockheed have felt like they have been fumbling in the dark with their hands tied for quite a while because of that.

Cheers

Offline Smokey

• Knucklehead
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2016, 03:08:20 PM »
Then along comes trump, With one tweet and wipes billions off lockheads worth.  ::p
The Australian defence Minister saying,,,, "It's still good, It's still good" "Its a seppo problem, Not ours"
Not ours?  Australia Invested in this piece of shit. ITS OUR PROBLEM  ;qz

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2016, 03:31:15 PM »
Then along comes trump, With one tweet and wipes billions off lockheads worth.  ::p
The Australian defence Minister saying,,,, "It's still good, It's still good" "Its a seppo problem, Not ours"
Not ours?  Australia Invested in this piece of shit. ITS OUR PROBLEM  ;qz

In real terms we didn't put THAT much in, just we have a purchase commitment.

I really fail to understand, all political bullshit in the end, it is not the right aircraft for Australian defense, we have unique needs but despite my frequent mentions of such we are not going to be buying Sukhoi :)

I think the best alternative is the Typhoon II but it's a long time since the RAAF had UK aircraft on inventory, so they are a bit nervous - I do understand, the engineering has its foibles :)  (So does American by the way, crawling around inside an F-15 is apparently not fun :) )

Cheers

Offline Rybags

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2016, 01:39:15 AM »
If they shitcan it we might end up saving money.  Problem is, go chasing something else and it probably means late 20s before it arrives.

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2016, 02:01:41 AM »
If they shitcan it we might end up saving money.  Problem is, go chasing something else and it probably means late 20s before it arrives.

Rafale we could have next week, Typhoon week after, F-15S in a month, all proven designs, I've personally only flown one of those, the first, was a delight, but if my mates like the others I'm happy :)

Strangely, and I have not flown it, but mention the F-18 and they all go "meh"

Very opinionated people are fighter pilots :)

Cheers

Offline Rybags

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2016, 08:16:58 AM »
A modernised stealthier F-15 is just so obvious, improves on F-18C and fills the void left by the F-111 better than most, but we've been over that before.
Stupid modern attitude with just about everything is just because something's newer it must be better.

With the money saved by not going the ridiculous path with the F-35, the US probably could have had a manned mission to Mars by now.  In fact probably a dozen of them.

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2016, 01:46:34 PM »
Yes, very likely.

I don't talk to him often but I had a Christmas call from a guy I know at Lockheed - he's been lurking the thread for a while - wondered about that IP.

I asked him about the -35, he doesn't work on it, busy with -22 upgrades but his opinion was somewhat unprintable :)

I dunno, apparently there are now two due up the road at Pierce in the next few weeks - I just requested and will receive this week the interim manuals - maybe I'll go con a ride, curiosity might yet kill the cat but not if the seat works :)

I really am getting way too old for this, and my body keeps telling me that, but as my grandfather used to say you keep on living until you die, you do not wait for it to happen :) He made it to 96, so I have quite a bit left in me.

Being I'm supposed to fly a Mirage in a few weeks I guess I better go do a bit of revision - been a while :)

Now to figure out how to hide that from the wife - she already thinks I'm crazy, no need to confirm it :)

Eh, a Mirage doesn't scare me at all, love the lady, -35, hmm, we'll see..

Cheers

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2017, 11:37:04 AM »
Doesn't seem to be getting any better:

http://www.news.com.au/technology/f35-has-long-list-of-deficiencies-says-pentagon-operation-testing-and-evaluation-office/news-story/d188a16c3c48ba7409804e01b22de14c

A mate is part of the first deployment, told me last week he hates the thing.

Cheers

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2017, 03:33:24 PM »

And still it gets worse:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3430571/From-ejector-seats-kill-computer-pilots-t-log-Pentagon-F-35-fighter-jet-report-reveals-massive-problems-facing-expensive-weapon-history.html

I had overlooked that that troublesome cannon has less than 200 rounds at load-out - ridiculous, you'd go through those in no time flat. Then what do you do in a close in fight?

Oh, and it has also been revealed it can't currently fly in rain and is a ludicrous amount over-budget.

Piece of garbage but I am going up to take a look end of April, my doc might even clear me for flying by then :)

Cheers

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2017, 06:51:29 PM »

Now I'm really conflicted - had to go to Adelaide in a rush two or so weeks ago, lots of health issues in the family and my younger sister was carrying too big a load, so went to help.

Not too bad, but mother has leukemia, older sister is in recovery from two cancers, but prognosis looks good, brother busted an arm,  I cannot believe it is his first bone break, he is so accident prone -I've busted just about everything, but I have lived a bit more adventurous life than a painter and decorator. :)

I didn't even bother to mention my sore back, trivial by comparison, but after day two here I am in my old home town and I REALLY needed to go chase clouds - my way to unwind, so gave a mate a call, see what might be around."A car will be with you in 30 mins" I get told " Need your opinion on something, "

Bit odd but ok, I need some distraction.

An immaculate mil driver turns up, fortunately at my hotel, at my mother's place that would have been the Spanish Inquisition, I'm in jeans and a t but he still saluted me - I suppose I do have some silly high rank but i told him to take it easy, I'm just a civvy these days.

Where are we going ? Edinburgh AFB - makes sense, primary RAAF testing base but I've still no clue what is in store.

Then I get introduced to an F-35B, the V/STOl version, he wanted my opinion because of all my Harrier time, but like most I didn't even know they had one - spreading the test schedule around, but why we get that one,  anybody's guess.

No way I just fly a new airplane, especially one I have suspicions of, so crawl all through the thing all day with an old friend crew chief, and did become impressed.

Take the manuals back to my hotel, do an RTFM evening, it really did not look too big a problem , but, well, I've flown aircraft that try to kill you before you even light the fires :)

Next morning I get picked up again and go suit up - chase was an old mate in an F/'A 18.

It was just so easy, taxi out with a board so intuitive it was a glance was enough , line up and go - no VTOL stuff on a first lift-off but it hardly mattered, talk about acceleration :)

I spent a few minutes feeling her out, did what I asked so headed into the free--fly zone, out over the ocean, jeez, talk about acceleration - my mate laughed, said I was as big a speed freak as ever and orbited to wait for me to come back.

To be honest I had a ball, but I've flown so many aircraft perhaps it was just  a bit of absence :)

So we get to touch-down and I figure if this new VTOL concept is awkward it doesn't matter, with that acceleration I'll just power out of here and do it again.

No need - it was as easy as :)

So now I'm a bit conflicted, it has taken too long, costs too much, but damn is it nice to fly  :)

I'd like to try some DACT i would like - might happen, we'll see, I made the offer, I think I'm about the last living pilot in Oz who has seen actual combat, dropping bombs is different,

Dunno, the crewies were a bit bemused when I came out with a walking stick - less so when I did a 30 foot runway bypass to wake myself up :)

I fly, simple as that, but after that run this airplane has me confused :)

Cheers

Offline Wallacey

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2017, 05:10:52 PM »
Very interesting!

Maybe not flogging a dead horse now?

Good health to you and your family.

:-*
Whatever

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2017, 01:06:52 AM »

I honestly do not know Wallacey.

We are due one here next month and I'm slotted into the schedule, it will be an A, so a bit different. I do wish someone would pay me for this charity time - might have to have a few chats :)

As an aircraft, fine, the price and delays - ridiculous....

Cheers

Offline LordDread

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Eat da-shiang bao-tza shr duh lah doo-tze,dong ma?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2017, 08:45:39 PM »
you know the old saying, pics or it didnt happen :p  rofl

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2017, 12:19:11 AM »
you know the old saying, pics or it didnt happen :p  rofl

It may not happen - been grounded by a medical condition that whilst not fatal or even so far as I can see has an impact on flying, is frowned upon by some flight surgeons.

No cameras allowed out at Pearce though so unless, if I get a run, I can have someone snap me in the air and then how would you know if it was me, it is not going to happen.

I'm being braced to be told my flying days may be over - that's just plain depressing....

Cheers

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2017, 04:13:09 AM »
... Cerebelum Ataxia... essentially a balance issue, we all have this little organ left side of head, it's sort of a part of the brain but has more to do with keeping you from falling over :)

I ended up being diagnosed with it two weeks ago although my doc suspected it somewhat earlier, it can have a variety of affects but in my case is just affecting walking - I can still drive happily and so far as I'm concerned fly fine as well, but that will be up to the flight surgeons.

Like every doctor on the earth he tells me it must be because I drink - bullshit - I go off and get a bunch of second opinions and do some reading - not Dr Google, med library. Last year as I think I've mentioned I had Epstein Barr that erupted as Glandular fever, it and head trauma are the commonest causes of this condition, which is good news really, means the cerebellum is just inflamed, not damaged.

I had a bit of a fight with EB, but believe it or not most all of you likely have it, it just is benign in most people, not me unfortunately, but as it reduces so may the cerebulum symptoms. Head trauma, well, yes, but not for a lot of years and a CT scan showed no damage so I doubt that.

I don't know - my own long retired flight surgeon actually knows pilots, in the mil, with this condition, if it only affects your walking balance who cares? You fly sitting down :) But, it can have other impacts like memory issues so they do ramp up the med tests a bit, that's next week for me.

Delights of getting older I guess, they are holding a slot for me on the -35, moving it in the schedule as the medicos pontificate, as is their wont :)

I can understand, expensive and currently rare aircraft here and I'd prefer to keep breathing anyway, but perhaps If I go chuck an A-4 around in front of the docs out there, flew one just a few weeks ago, they might understand this is not messing with my interface with an aircraft :)

The annoying thing is that there is no treatment, it gets better, it stabilises, or it gets worse, my doc stuck me on thiamin, B2 in other words, that's because he is convinced, or he was before I pointed a few things out to him, that it was my drinking habits. I drink wine, in relative moderation, near all the time, the past few weeks I've lured a few docs into telling me what THEY drink - mostly hard stuff - my old flight surgeon does not think it has been a good day if he can't relax with a jug of margaritas and watch the sun set on the Pacific off Venice Beach :)

I stopped thinking of that as the cause weeks ago, pretty certain it is the EB and I just have to ride it out - may screw up my ride in the -35 for a while but...

I'm pretty sanguine about it - I've flown it, would like to again, but my flying days are near over I think - bit annoying...

You know the oddest thing about flight surgeons ? Few of them can actually fly... My one does, Cessnas, years ago had him back seat in an F-4, he was too shaky after to even sign my clearance - even though he loved it ;)

We'll see, I am not getting younger, but it beats the alternative :)

Cheers

Offline LogicprObe

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2017, 07:23:10 PM »

I can only wish you good luck.................but the older we get, the more we fall apart!

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2017, 03:17:44 PM »

I can only wish you good luck.................but the older we get, the more we fall apart!

So true :)

Somewhat to my surprise I actually passed my flight med, they don't mind this little problem at all apparently, so now to line up some fun :)

Cheers