Author Topic: Wars and the men who fight them...  (Read 12794 times)

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
Re: Wars and the men who fight them...
« Reply #100 on: October 28, 2016, 01:39:45 PM »
*Sad Smile*

I think I've just been to too many wars, and shot at, and hit a couple of times a bit too often, to really see any glory in it whatsoever.

My mother always bemuses me, whenever she gets stuck into the ironing she puts on either "The Longest Day" or "The Dambusters." When the movie ends she stops ironing :)

I think she could recite both by now but the line she remembers the most is John Wayne At the end of "Longest day" jumping in a jeep and telling the driver to "Take me up the hill son."

I am very, very glad most of my family and definitely my mother have absolutely no idea of the craziness I went through - I think one way and another it was seven wars, not all as a combatant - it did get a little tiring...

I just do find it a little odd that my mother, who was early teens I'm guessing during WWII, finds war movies relaxing.

Where she was I think there was only ever one attack, the legendary one on Yeovilton airbase where whilst everyone else hit the slit trenches my grandfather famously stood up shooting back at Me-109s with a Lee Enfield .303 - apparently he hit a couple and they pissed off. I'm not surprised, he had a sniper rating in WWI - whether you can shoot down a fighter with a rifle - but he sure had no love of Germans - which made for interesting times when I had two extremely good German friends,who remain my friends to this day :)

The remaining survivors of WWII are a somewhat unusual mob....

(To describe my mother as unusual is a bit light on though :) )

Cheers
Politically incorrect?  You betcha!!!  :-)

Offline fuknKIWI

• Custom Chrome Hardtail
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 03, 2016, 08:29:10 PM »
Where she was I think there was only ever one attack, the legendary one on Yeovilton airbase where whilst everyone else hit the slit trenches my grandfather famously stood up shooting back at Me-109s with a Lee Enfield .303 - apparently he hit a couple and they pissed off. I'm not surprised, he had a sniper rating in WWI - whether you can shoot down a fighter with a rifle - but he sure had no love of Germans - which made for interesting times when I had two extremely good German friends,who remain my friends to this day :)

Didn't they credit an AUSTRALIAN infantry man with having shot down von Richthofen?
I'm sure the odds have lengthened since then  ;)
Half gallon quarter acre Pavlova paradise.

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 12, 2016, 03:37:29 PM »

Didn't they credit an AUSTRALIAN infantry man with having shot down von Richthofen?
I'm sure the odds have lengthened since then  ;)

Yes, I doubt we will ever know for sure but that is the legend, bit easier with Wood and canvas WWI flimsy things I suppose.

I think I''ve told the tale before but my RAF mentor, the Air Commodore, flew Bristol Fighters in WWI, one time he comes back, goes to get out and winds up under the aircraft - the entire floor had been shot out from under him and he never noticed :) His observer thought it was hilarious - utter nutters the pair of them, very good friends of mine for many years - long gone now of course :(

Ah, we are not likely to ever see those sort of antics again, mate of mine told me yesterday he is not quite sure how he ducked a MANPAD last week in Afghanistan, but he did - I'm still trying to figure out what the fuck he was doing there in the first place - he's a fighter pilot, there's no air force there to fight...

Of course the real irony is that was probably an ancient CIA supplied Stinger and he's USAF :)

Those bloody things just do not want to die....

Cheers

Politically incorrect?  You betcha!!!  :-)