Author Topic: Anyone Prep?  (Read 504 times)

Offline Smokey

• Knucklehead
    • View Profile
Anyone Prep?
« on: January 02, 2017, 03:28:14 PM »
To some degree, I guess I'm sort of a prepper.
Just always have been since a boy cub scout.   The motto "Be prepared" really got my attention.
Sooo many possibilities of SHTF and I only have a few covered.   I cant divulge what that is in public, 
Maybe when I get into the back room I can let out my crazy ways,,,, or what the wife thinks is crazy.
Anyone else stock some stuff or have a ready go bag?   

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Prep?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 03:39:54 PM »
 :)

At the moment I've been let off the hook but yep, go bag is in the office, had one most of my life :)

Cheers
Politically incorrect?  You betcha!!!  :-)

Offline Rybags

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 12:04:41 AM »
Not really - when Y2K was imminent I just made sure the BBQ gas bottle was near full.  Not that it would be entirely useful if you lost power for more than a day.

These days though we do seem to get more blackouts than before so I keep handy torches and lanterns, usually have a spare gas bottle, at least several of the disposable butane ones.  Got 2 jumpstarters and several USB power packs.
Not that much of that is entirely useful if the turd really hit the impeller but useful stuff to have around.

I was considering getting a plastic jerry-can or 2 but decided not to, it was more along the lines of being able to stock up on fuel at the cheaper outlets which are 20km away but I don't like the idea of keeping enough fuel to burn away half a suburb just for the sake of saving a couple of bucks.

As for food - I generally have bugger-all in tins or in the form that can go long term without being kept cold so I'd be a bit screwed there.  Do have fishing equipment for what it's worth but I think I'd rather pillage farmers than eat the rubbish that infests our inland rivers.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 12:06:59 AM by Rybags »

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 11:16:59 AM »

I never worry about fuel, because I hardly go anywhere any more but food... ask Middy, we have a large fridge, a big freezer, two big cupboards, and they are all full :)

If ever the power vanished I'd just be rather busy on the Weber for which I keep stacks of fuel,  for the disposables and go grab some ice quick but actually I REALLY need to clean out our main freezer - been a while :) I have no idea what is in there really :)

Probably take me a minute or two to put the totally legal gun together - I keep it in pieces because of kids, but there is a LOT of ammo in the house, then there are the knives...

I'm just a very, very dangerous bastard whom it is best not to fuck with - even if right now the bloody cat might beat me at arm wrestling :)

Cheers

Offline Smokey

• Knucklehead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 06:45:27 PM »
The house is the main place I intend to be at,  Ive got up to four months of dry/tin food stocked for four people. A generator can keep the freezer and fridge running a few weeks running it four hours a day.
Same for gas reserves as I keep 4 x 45kg gas bottles full + 4 x 9kg bottles.
A 0.1 micron water purifier and a pool that is Ionized (Drinkable) plus a 5000 lt water tank I was forced to have by council. It used to feed the toilets and washing but I cut that off and fills the pool if needed.

My go bags are one for each family member and they are basic survival only for up to five days.
They deal with water / Purification, Shelter and five days food.  with some basic meds for tummy and trauma as well as something to get "Relaxed"  ;qo
Only very basic tools in those bags but enough to move through country from A to B,,,, After that, Of which we are fucked  rofl
Have not added weapons although I have guns.  Cant rely on that subject as that is what the fuzz will go after first. Being a LFAO,  They know what I have. 

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 07:05:25 PM »

I guess I never really worry about it in an Armageddon sense - I'd survive that. more a temporary collapse of society or in my case "we need you there yesterday." ;)

Thank God I do not go that so much any more ;)

Cheers

Offline LogicprObe

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 07:30:17 PM »

I'm gonna pump out the dungeon and put some shelves in.

Offline Rybags

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 10:33:45 PM »
Seems the hot new usage for basements these days is keeping kids locked away for a couple of decades.

But seriously... I used to laugh hard at preppers.  Still do, though the main comic value is their predicted apocalypse situations.

The way I see it, the main threat lately seems to be all the little left wing turds that protest and trash other people's property in aid of the latest save the snowflake cause.
Put that in hand with the scum that the western world just invites in the door - no need for World War III when you have home grown social decline that's likely to make you head for the hills.

Offline LogicprObe

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 06:49:44 PM »

At some stage, there'll be a fight.
I'll probably be too old but will the wimpy youff of today stand up and fight...................or just hand it over to the Islamists?