Author Topic: Windows just corrodes really....  (Read 1383 times)

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
Windows just corrodes really....
« on: January 21, 2015, 06:26:35 PM »
:)

I've been saying that for a long, long time but about to try a rather interesting experiment.

My primary pc has been replaced this week by a new HP pavilion i5, 8GB not really anything startling but a nice upgrade.

The old machine was an i3 Vaio 4GB but just scored an 8GB RAM upgrade.

The Vaio was always kept squeaky clean with Cleaner/MBW etc and fully protected by Avast but it was down to being purely frustrating in response terms despite frequent reboots etc.

Move the HP to primary PC, flies - get the RAM upgrade into the VAIO, still a dog.

Just making sure there is nothing more I need off the VAIO and then it gets fully blown away and rebuilt.

The interesting part is I'm grabbing a snapshot of the VAIO before I blow it away, will be interesting to see just what does not match up in the OS' afterwards :)

I'm sort of betting the VAIO will be a damned sight faster after being blown away but not as fast as the HP, which would be in line with CPU difference but hell, at the moment the difference is night and day :)

Nothing new I guess for the geeks but been a while since I ran this comparison - prompted by an heretical friend who is in the darkside - Apple.... ::w

Cheers

Politically incorrect?  You betcha!!!  :-)

Offline LordDread

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Eat da-shiang bao-tza shr duh lah doo-tze,dong ma?
    • View Profile
Re: Windows just corrodes really....
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 04:10:09 PM »
Currently have 730 days uptime on this pc i7 3770 16gb ram gtx670oc gfx ssd for OS, and i can tell you its atleast 10x slower,but then windows has never been efficient at letting shit go when u add/remove software.

I keep thinking its time to reinstall ... but so many games .. then i think, you know, i can live with a 1 minute boot time for a bit longer :P

Offline Richo

• Big Kahuna
  • Fast, Cheap, Light...pick any two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 04:16:49 PM »
The day some bastard invents an O/S that is immune to the inverse square law of more apps Vs. hardware speed then everything else is royally screwed.

O/S dudes pls make me something that doesn't bog no matter how many programs I have installed. The hardware is up for it but your resource guzzling operating systems are not.

Time for a total rethink instead of adding untold lines of code to the previous version.

What do punters want? I'm glad you asked .. are you listening Redmond and London... We want an O/S that is super crash resistant and self healing (unlike win 8.1 and ubuntu 14.10 that are despite all assurances NOT). We want an O/S that is virus proof so we don't have to run 3rd party software that sucks hardware resources dry 24/7. We want an O/S that comes complete with free industry standard productivity programs for office, photos, video, social networking, email and audio.

No... we don't mean some spastic O/S integrated crap that tries (totally unsuccessfully) to tie a user to the operating system with some limited functionality crippleware bullshit.

We mean software that is 3rd party, elegant GUI, resource light and customisable that integrates seemlessly with an O/S sporting the same properties.  Why 3rd party software ?  Because its not bloatware.

1 million points to nix on the software thing... you guys get that part and have done for yrs... although you need to suss the user desktop thing out better.
! million points to windows on the O/S user interface (well every 2nd incarnation anyway) ME, Vista and Win8 sucked donkey balls from our end. You need to vet software resource pigs.

Sit up and take notice Gates and *Nix ....

I know the pair of you bastards monitor the hell out of my site.
Work Hard, Play Hard, Stay Hard

Meet my little Baby

Offline Richo

• Big Kahuna
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 04:19:49 PM »
My friends ... please add your thoughts. I know for fact they're reading this stuff.

Meet my little Baby

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 05:16:32 PM »

Well if 10 does turn out to be free paradoxically it might be better, at least we wont be paying for rubbish :)

A long time ago in a much simpler world there was an OS that had the potential to be what we need - unfortunately Amiga was steamrollered :)

It really is ridiculous how much hardware resources get eaten up by bloated software, 100 MB drivers !?! Get off the grass...

Cheers

Offline LordDread

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 05:17:49 PM »
for now  (i have found win7 very stable, 1 bsod ever, and that was about 3 weeks ago) i would settle for a system that , when you uninstall something, actually uninstalls ALL traces and doesnt bog the system down after somethings removed ...

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 05:44:08 PM »

I really have had bugger all problems with 7, except for the corrosion that started this thread.

On a fresh install on an i3 or above it flies along very nicely, until it rusts up :)

That's just the way it's been really with Windows, strange thing being XP took way, way longer to get dragged down :)

Cheers

Offline Wallacey

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 06:16:49 PM »
How would computer techs make a living if everything "just worked".

:-*
Whatever

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 07:10:36 PM »

By actually making it better rather than being the boy with the finger in the dyke Wallacey :)

I've been in IT as most roles for 30 years, most of the time I'm dealing with tyranny of installed base, legacy crap and fuckwits.

Honestly, most of the time I do not even vaguely understand the industry beyond it being filled with self-serving fuckwits who don't even know what they are talking about and people I wouldn't cross the road to piss on if they were on fire.

Trouble is the mass population never quite understands so they keep on drinking the coolaid..... :)

I really have lost count of the number of times I've lost a bid on price to have the client come back within six months asking to have the mess they bought sorted out, depends how busy I am....

People in the main really should either spend more time understanding the tech they depend upon or shut up and listen to those who do Grok it - they don't, not any of them....

Cheers

Offline AccessDenied

• Custom Chrome Hardtail
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 06:06:12 PM »
Just bought a shiny new PC.  (Bits and pieces build)

When Win 10 comes out as the free upgrade I'm gonna grab it.

PC boot times.  Sometimes it's actually the hardware failing.  My last PC.  It was taking 10 minutes to get to 'usable stage' after power on. 

I did full boot analysis.  (Microsoft does release some FANTASTIC tools for monitoring your PC.  I was able to do a full timeline breakdown of my boot phase and find where it was struggling).

In the end, it was struggling on initializing drivers for northbridge.

Odd.  Reload drivers.  Tried different versions of drivers.  No go.

Then a few days later, the mobo shit itself.  Truly a case of "Chugging on as best as possible despite overwhelming odds".  IT actually impressed me.  (Shitty that I had to spent money though.  Trying to save)

AD

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 12:40:51 PM »
Have to admit 10 is looking pretty good, 8.... without classic shell I'd have reverted to 7 by now.

How old was that mobo AD?

Granted hardware can always fail but in practice I see it happen very, very rarely at board level these days. Drives sure, PSUs, but it's been a long time since I saw a mobo fail.

Cheers

Offline AccessDenied

• Custom Chrome Hardtail
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 05:21:07 PM »
Don't know exact age of board.  Best I can give is this.  It was older than Dominic.  He turns 6 this year.

AD

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 07:17:41 AM »
Don't know exact age of board.  Best I can give is this.  It was older than Dominic.  He turns 6 this year.

AD

More than a lifetime for any mobo really although they are getting better and better, capacitors mainly have been improving out of sight.

Cheers

Offline Smokey

• Knucklehead
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 04:23:33 PM »
I'm in need of a new PC myself. Now I'm getting messages that my hard drive is screwed.
Back up and contact the manufacture.
I'll be sure to ask on what to buy when it all falls over. ::s

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 06:10:08 PM »

There are a bunch of very competent IT folk here to help when you are ready mate.

Cheers

Offline Smokey

• Knucklehead
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 07:21:26 PM »
Thanks mate, I've seen how good you blokes are and have every intention on asking for help.
I somewhat feel Im in the right hands here.

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 07:29:26 PM »

If we ever got commercial, and organised, hmmmm... this bunch could have one HELL of a successful IT company, but I'm not sure we really want that crap, we're just good at IT :)

Cheers

Offline Richo

• Big Kahuna
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2015, 07:54:20 PM »

Ha !!   Sammy and I tried the corporate IT thing a few yrs back ... too many bloody headaches and not enough profit margin on hardware.

More than happy to help out a mate any way we can though. Welcome Smokey and yep, you're in real good hands here. We're not nerds. We're a bunch of rough tough bastards who happen to be good at all things machinery, electronic and booze related.

Meet my little Baby

Offline LordDread

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 08:32:21 PM »
yeah im more geek then nerd :P

btw.. mythbusters and top gear are back, so that covers the bloke bit too :p

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2015, 07:15:15 AM »

Moving hardware is just a mugs game, professional services is the money end, but yeah, lots of headaches.

Cheers