Author Topic: Ebola - Worried yet?  (Read 2368 times)

Offline McClean

• The token American
  • Big Kahuna
  • Ain't I pretty? ;)
    • View Profile
Re: Ebola - Worried yet?
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2014, 06:28:32 PM »
As I said, I've had all kinds of vaccines. Some were recent and my choice and some are mandatory for children who are in public schools.

The Cuban missile crisis was BOTH sides playing very, very high stakes poker.

I had hoped that when the Cold War ended we could resume friendly or at least civil relations with Cuba but Fidel had no interest in that and Raul is back to playing footsie with Russia.

That over 10% of Cubans now live in the U.S. to me says a LOT about their choice of our way versus the Castro way.

They still have a Marxist-Lenin single party government.

If it were up to me I think I'd not only end the trade embargo but I would send them anything they want, dirt cheap.

Give them a taste of the good life and they might see the idiocy of communism but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

It would take a Ronald Reagan or a John McCain to be able to end the embargo without being crucified in domestic politics.

Where everything out here ain't what it seems
When I'm down to nothing, I just go ahead and dream
And face the fact that I'm a circle in a world full of squares

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2014, 06:53:08 PM »
:)

Oh indeed, Cuba was just a convenient place to have a bit of a stand-off between Washington and Moscow, to the detriment of Cuba.

It's a very sorry state of affairs, two dynasties have dominated modern Cuba, Batista, who let the mob do whatever they wanted really so long as he had a cut, that incidentally included heroin and cocaine traffiking, and the Castros who are really just as corrupt in their own way.

After the USSR fell they turned to China but the waning of communism there is, very slowly, leading to Cuba becoming less enamoured of external benefactors.

It won't change without a toppling of the Castros, but they are getting very old and there is no really clear successor.

That 10% of Cubans are in the US is as much to do with their being so isolated by their near neighbour and there being a clear political divide as anything else but Castro was rather fiendish in emptying his jails into Florida :)

There is such a convoluted history of corruption around Cuba that it sort of boggles the mind and yet somehow they actually have a damned good lifestyle, good life expectancy and great healthcare, which they are exporting.

It will change, as usual with change probably very suddenly and probably not long from now.

I am getting to wonder just who is telling the truth about new Ebola cases.

In the past week there have been reports of a UK national dying from it in Macedonia, a confirmed case in Honolulu and very briefly in the news today a confirmed case in Brazil.

But none of those have re-surfaced or been followed up on in the media, it all remains centered on the US and a passing nod to Spain when not talking about the West African situation.

I guess in the end it suggests that the mass media tells us what it is told to tell us but it leaks sometimes - not exactly a happy thought :)

Cheers

Politically incorrect?  You betcha!!!  :-)

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2014, 03:34:25 PM »
:)

Whilst I do think it perfectly sensible to be concerned about ebola it seems some people are taking concern WAY too far :)

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/is-the-world-suffering-from-an-acute-case-of-ebolanoia/story-fneuzlbd-1227096226501

Like most things it's a case of perspective, it's still far more likely you'll get run over by a bus :)

Cheers

Offline LogicprObe

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2014, 03:17:33 AM »

Reopen the quarantine stations.

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2014, 08:21:31 AM »
Heh.

It SEEMS to have quietened down, that or the media is off on its usual attention-span-of-a-gnat cycle.

It remains a worry though, thousands of people going into the region to assist from all over the globe really does not seem like the most sensible thing to be doing somehow.

That sounds heartless but we really know so little about ebola even now, it seems to be more luck than judgement that has thus far not had a serious outbreak in the first world.

It's pretty much a certainty that with a close to 40 year history of this virus erupting, burning out, reappearing that we have not seen the last of it.

Cheers

Offline LogicprObe

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2014, 08:03:32 PM »

They will start shooting people...........but we won't hear about it.

Offline LogicprObe

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2015, 04:49:29 PM »

This is interesting.................

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-18/mysterious-disease-in-nigeria-kills-18/6403558

Print  Email Facebook Twitter  More
Mysterious disease that kills patients within 24 hours leaves at least 18 dead in Nigeria
Updated about 9 hours ago

MAP: Nigeria
A mysterious disease that kills patients within 24 hours has claimed at least 18 lives in a south-eastern Nigerian town, the government says.

"Seventeen people have died of the mysterious disease since it broke out early this week in Ode-Irele town," said Ondo state government spokesman Kayode Akinmade.

The disease, symptoms of which include headache, weight loss, blurred vision and loss of consciousness, killed the victims within 24 hours of their falling ill, he said.

Laboratory tests have so far ruled out Ebola or any other virus, Mr Akinmade added.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) said it had information on 14 cases with at least 12 dead.

"Common symptoms were sudden blurred vision, headache, loss of consciousness followed by death, occurring within 24 hours," spokesman Tarik Jasarevic said.

Another WHO spokesman, Gregory Hartl, told AFP that according to a preliminary report, all those affected began showing symptoms between April 13 and 15.

Mr Akinmade said health officials and experts from the government and aid agencies, as well as WHO epidemiologists, had arrived in Ode-Irele to search for answers.

"There is no patient of the disease in any hospital and the disease has not spread beyond the town," he said

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2015, 05:40:26 PM »
Yes, saw that, not ebola as the article says but I was looking at a modern map of Nigeria just the other day and was somewhat floored to see how built up it is these days, not having been there since the early seventies. The areas I flew around are now pretty heavily inhabited, it was pretty much tropical jungle.

Unfortunately it is well documented that as you remove the jungle regions and people take up residence the probability of uncovering new viral nasties that infect residents with no immunity is quite high.

Cheers

Offline AccessDenied

• Custom Chrome Hardtail
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2015, 06:02:32 PM »
Not as bad as ebola.  More lethal in contracted?  Certainly.  But for a virus to be truly...  Virulent.  It needs to have a long incubation time without symptoms.  The above virus doesn't fit that.

The quick killers are not as bad as the long term incubators.  Ebola has enough that you can get from point A to point B whilst in a contagious state (And Ebola isn't very contagious either!  It's scary.  But not overly contagious.  It's in the headlines in the 'Western World' because the people that are at risk are the ones that handle the body and people infected and thus are exposed to the bodily fluid.  It's not airborne.)

AD

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2015, 07:54:44 PM »
Indeed, ebola is borderline to be truly dangerous if it were not for the 747 vector, this, no, way too fast.

Trouble is without being all doomsday viruses are very tenacious survivors, if becoming less virulent gives them a better survival chance then the vector of survival says that is the bug that will sticking around.

Cheers

Offline AccessDenied

• Custom Chrome Hardtail
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2015, 09:19:19 PM »
Certainly.  But I'd currently be more concerned about various virii in animals becoming transmissible to humans.  Then you get multiple vector transmission.

But anyways.  I'll keep taking vaccines and taking part in trials.

Took part in a swine flu vaccine trial.  Not sure if I was placebo or genuine.  But there you go.

AD

Offline LogicprObe

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2015, 05:28:40 PM »

Did you get the flu?

Offline AccessDenied

• Custom Chrome Hardtail
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2015, 11:58:40 AM »
Haven't gotten Swine Flu yet.  But then..  I haven't tried kissing you yet Logic.   :P

AD

Offline LogicprObe

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2015, 02:00:20 PM »

I had it!..............so we could have tested it out!

Offline Smokey

• Knucklehead
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2015, 10:03:52 PM »
Can I watch?  ;qo

Offline LogicprObe

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2015, 03:57:03 PM »

Bloody pervert!

Offline Smokey

• Knucklehead
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2015, 11:21:59 AM »
Ha Ha  :)
I had nothing intelligent to say about Ebola so lowered myself to the lowest common denominator of bumf   ::a

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2015, 10:30:47 AM »
Some very encouraging news:

http://www.news.com.au/world/africa/world-health-organisation-hails-new-ebola-vaccine-as-a-game-changer/story-fnh81gzi-1227465723778

There was a near on forgotten report from CDC a couple of decades ago stating that to develop a vaccine for Ebola was simply a case of money and time, mostly the former, looks like a big scary outbreak has caused investment.

Cheers

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2016, 09:08:46 AM »