Author Topic: I suppose this is a technical question...  (Read 931 times)

Offline fuknKIWI

• Custom Chrome Hardtail
    • View Profile
I suppose this is a technical question...
« on: July 22, 2014, 08:20:27 PM »
I've been wondering about the fate of the passengers and crew of MH17...RIP
OK we know that the plant was at 33,000 feet, the air is thin and as cold as. So for those who were not affected by the initial blast how would they meet their fate? How long would they remain conscious, if not injured directly.
I hope it was over soon for them but I have a nasty feeling they may been absolutely terrified as they plummeted to earth.
Half gallon quarter acre Pavlova paradise.

Offline McClean

• The token American
  • Big Kahuna
  • Ain't I pretty? ;)
    • View Profile
Re: I suppose this is a technical question...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 05:57:37 AM »
Hardman knows more about this kind of stuff than I do but from what I know I would think death or at least loss of consciousness would have been almost instant from the combination of the explosion itself, the breakup of the aircraft and the ensuing loss of cabin pressure.

Where everything out here ain't what it seems
When I'm down to nothing, I just go ahead and dream
And face the fact that I'm a circle in a world full of squares

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 12:13:37 PM »
A horrible event but for most if not all of those on board it would have been near immediate.

A missile hit is considerably different to a bomb detonating on board as with Pan Am 103. That in a large airframe leads to explosive decompression and a rapid descent with consequent airframe failure and break up but there would have been, in fact were proven to have been many who survived for quite a time and one at least all the way to impact.

With a missile the structural damage, the detonation was apparently very close, caused by a 70kg fragmentation warhead would be very severe, instant whole of aircraft decompression and near immediate break up, they would barely have known what hit them, perhaps a few moments but no more.

There would most probably not be immediate fire however, too high to have enough oxygen for that, the expanding fuel mist would ignite lower down.

Given the extreme contamination of the crash site though, particularly moving of bodies we will probably never know, in 298 individual events random chance could have seen one or more survive for some time, I hope not.

Cheers
Politically incorrect?  You betcha!!!  :-)

Offline eagledriver

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 11:02:51 PM »
Firstly words fail me on the tragic loss of 298 souls on MH17. May they all rest in peace and the perpetrators be brought to justice(though in all honesty it wont happen) for their crimes.

Further to Chris' comments below:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/expert-says-mh17-victims-would-not-have-suffered-after-plane-blast/story-fni0fit3-1226997887039?nk=366f816cfe21b29869d5eb9a1f521e24

Reports say the missile struck/detonated just forward of the port wing.
Cheers