Author Topic: Tyres  (Read 1110 times)

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
Tyres
« on: July 07, 2014, 07:18:25 PM »
Heh,

One way and another been a long time since I needed to replace tyres, the old Peugeot lasted years on good quality Michelins and whilst the current 307 came with just Bob Jane Xenons, not the best handling tyre I've ever driven on, they do seem to wear very well.

Getting time to start looking though and been surprised, tyres seem to have gone up in price a good bit, that or I've yet to look in the right place.

The requirement is for 205 55 R16s, not anything special, so  thought I'd get a benchmark with BJ themselves - $119 each, no 4 for 3 deals and they were only interested in quoting one alternative, Continentals, "because European cars deserve European tyres, although they all come from China these days anyway."

Really ? Continental are German although the rubber we get here is made in the US. Outside of German cars I can't name a single Euro brand that fits Contis as OEM. Somehow $149 per wheel sounded a bit pricey as well.

They are good tyres, nicely tuned for BMWs and Audis in particular but a quick call to my mechanic said stay away, rough ride and poor wear on a Pug.

In my opinion there has long been little to complain about with Asian tyres in any event, bemuses me how people can know so little about what they sell.

On my last Fiat X1/9 I had Maxxis, they really were very good, and unabashedly come from China, so take a trip to a different dealer, $109 each and thirty bucks less for alignment, much more what I'd expected to pay. What was more puzzling was BJ sell Maxxis and I even mentioned I like them, but never offered.

Now I am a little confused, there's a maze of brands out there, and quality within brands, heck, can get Pirellis, Cinturaltos for less than Continental, haven't even priced Michelin yet.

So, still looking, still legal on tread but any suggestions Knucks?

I don't really have a budget, but by the same token this car barely leaves town, I'm expecting above $100 but below $150 per wheel for something with decent grip and wear, but if everything sorts out may not have this car for more than another year or so anyway. It's a great little car but it is 11 years old and median mileage, time to begin thinking to move on.

Cheers

Politically incorrect?  You betcha!!!  :-)

Offline LordDread

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Eat da-shiang bao-tza shr duh lah doo-tze,dong ma?
    • View Profile
Re: Tyres
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 07:41:52 PM »
Horses for courses, what works on one car wont work on another, often enough, i have 19' (stock) tyres, so dont bitch to me about prices :P .

My Commy runs the stock bridgestone potenza's atm, habdle well , but by god they are noisy fuckers,friend just put pirellis on his, said its much much nicer.

the only real advice i can say is, if a tyre has been specificaly designed for "euro conditions" walk the fuck away from it. our roads are not Euro standards :P other then that try to check the ply and ratings on the tyres yourself, to make sure they will do the job, some places dont really care as long as they make $$, if a tyre just makes the cut, it will work, but you can proly dop better by going a class or 2 above.

http://www.bobjane.com.au/info/load-index-speed-symbol/

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 08:02:53 PM »
:)

Yeah, saw the prices on a few 19s :)

Very true with Euro tyres, I always ran Mitchies on my Fiats, and until this Pug same. As a brand they've learned, pretty good anywhere now. Pirellis were the same, used to have a really bad wear reputation but that ended long ago.

I confess to an aversion to US tyres, not being helped by the latest bad rep on Coopers. It's probably why I long ago decided to give Asian tyres a fair crack, very variable roads in Asia :)

They are one of those things you can get opinionated about though, Dunlop hit a bad patch here with tyres they produced for OEM Australia that had lousy wear. Decades on they are still scrabbling back their reputation.

Bridgestone are probably a really good bet on a Commie, the Adelaide factory does its own R&D for what it sells to the market, may have to see what they have in the size I need.

Cheers

Offline Richo

• Big Kahuna
  • Fast, Cheap, Light...pick any two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 06:34:57 PM »

2nd Michelin or Pirelli.

Never had a bad tyre from either brand.

Work Hard, Play Hard, Stay Hard

Meet my little Baby

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 07:21:27 PM »

I've certainly never had a bad Michelin mate, Pirelli's were standard on one Fiat in the family, not mine and one Alfa also a family car, great driving tyres, at the time, dreadful wear.

However as I said above that was long ago addressed, one mate has only driven Alfas for many years, always on Pirelli. In a moment of mid-life crisis he built himself a Cobra, very nice but as he quickly found completely impractical so he now has a very good 2nd hand Maserati imported from Europe, even that way too rich for my blood but it's on Pirellis and he's happy.

Be getting a quote on Michelin this week I think but for this particular car not writing off the Asians as yet :)

Cheers

Offline McClean

• The token American
  • Big Kahuna
  • Ain't I pretty? ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 06:37:54 AM »

I saw this thread earlier but I didn't post because to be honest, there's not much to say from this side of the world.

I have NFI what's available or what's a good deal over on your side.

From this side, Michelin, BFGoodrich, Goodyear, Firestone and Pirelli all have good reps.

Keep in mind we don't drive in the same conditions that you do.

At least in this part of the U.S. we have four very variable seasons, a lot of rain, occasional snow, temps. above 100F and well below freezing.

In my own little home town, I've personally seen the all time record high (105F) and the all time record low (-24F).

I'd suggest having a chat with a local mechanic or tire dealer who you trust and seeing what he has to say.

Where everything out here ain't what it seems
When I'm down to nothing, I just go ahead and dream
And face the fact that I'm a circle in a world full of squares

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 01:10:21 PM »

My mechanic is died in the wool Pirelli but begrudgingly accepts Michelin are ok. Tyre dealers are a bit of a lost cause, only want to sell you what they make the biggest buck on but asking around I think Michelin well be as affordable as anything else.

I'm prejudiced against Firestone, like so many things very old aversion, they once were a big supplier to military aviation until they cut too many corners and started being the cause of some runway dramas. That was a long time ago but you won't find any ex-mil pilots of the era that would trust them on anything :)

Cheers

Offline LordDread

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 05:43:24 PM »
Thats why i personally dislike Mich's Hm, when i was still in Newy driving tow trucks ( and Richo might not wanna read from here on :P ) Jeep had euro tyres on them.. you dont wanna know how many i picked up of the side of the freeway with blown sidewalls. They very very quickly changed them out for AUS versions.

I can only imagine how much fun it would be tryen to stop a wrangler with a blown front tyre from 110 kph :P

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 08:14:10 PM »
Heh,

No thanks.

It's true, Euro tyres have always had vulnerable sidewalls, supposed to keep the tread flatter to the road under side forces but makes them prone to damage.

The Michelin XAS' 13s that were pretty much the only tyre that could be gotten hold of for the X1/9 on standard rims were guilty of it but despite driving a lot on SA country road only ever once had a blow out and that was nothing to do with the sidewalls - dealer in Adelaide put one on backwards, never did figure out how, and I didn't notice - asymmetric tyre did not like going backwards it seems.

Made it as far as south of Whyalla on a straight through drive Adelaide to Port Lincoln before it blew, in a corner at well over 100 kph.

I think I was just lucky it was the inside rear, bit of a handful but stopped with no damage although the tyre was totaled. THEN I noticed whilst changing it :)

Did get a full refund aka another tyre, put on korektlie.

My 2nd X1/9 had a mod to take 14" rims and never did put Michelin on it, more choices, but really I did not have it very long, was going to, they served me well on 2 128s and the first X1/9, but it came to me with Yokohamas, which suited it rather well.

Cheers

Offline LordDread

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 05:22:10 PM »
it's more so their roads are generaly better and smoother then ours. There was also a series of bmx x3's that had issues running on a normal gravel road .. bubbled the sidewalls and made them undriveable  yet again Mich's euro version tyre ...

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 06:30:12 PM »
Yeah,

The root reason though is the sidewalls, they are more flexible in a Euro spec tyre but thinner as a result so not only more prone to damage but also if flexed a lot on rough surfaces they overheat.

It is because they are as a journalist in Wheels once put it designed for piano smooth roads :)

In Australia it can be a bit of a challenge, put tyres more suited to our roads on a Euro and you compromise the suspension tuning, less of a problem these days.

Cheers