Author Topic: I REALLY should know better :)  (Read 712 times)

Online Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
I REALLY should know better :)
« on: April 25, 2014, 07:22:07 PM »
:)

Did a small job yesterday at the the Perth airport for a company out of Sydney who are setting up the net links for Victoria's Secret, who are coming to Oz, first stores seems to be at airports.

Retail, it's always going to be IT crap at store level, and this was no exception.

A 6U rack installed in a stupid place, right behind the door from the store to their miniscule storage area, more a corridor, well, G-strings take up little room :)

But the rack was as bad as I've ever seen, will post a pic soon as I find the cable :)

Weird really. Two 24 port patch panels almost entirely unused, there are only three PCs on the network, plus a couple of phones, but in amidst the dust there was a bewildering array of equipment. some still active, some dormant and most all of it cheap crap, all of it covered in cable spaghetti.

The one thing that looked ok was the Cisco box, but it was what I was to replace, someone fucked up...

Took me over an hour to just trace the cables that mattered, what a mess.

Finally do the cut-over, just as I'm on the ladder, needed to get to the stupid rack, one of the store cuties comes in to get some panties and knocks over the ladder...

I ended up getting whacked in the head by the switch... Nothing serious, but had to reconnect everything, meanwhile the cutie is making all kinds of apologies, just as well I'm married ;)

Had to re-config the firewall, no biggee, be nice if the client had have provided some information, already clued them in on that for the next one, due next week.

I don't really like retail work much, scenery was good but ;)

Cheers

Politically incorrect?  You betcha!!!  :-)

Offline LogicprObe

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
Re: I REALLY should know better :)
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 07:14:48 PM »

Not the rack and box story I was expecting!

Online Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
Re: I REALLY should know better :)
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 10:35:42 AM »
 rofl rofl rofl rofl

Can't speak for the box but she had a damned nice rack mate :)

Cheers
Politically incorrect?  You betcha!!!  :-)