Author Topic: Delights of cloud migrations....  (Read 704 times)

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
Delights of cloud migrations....
« on: April 16, 2014, 03:11:48 PM »
:)

I'd imagine the techs around here would find this amusing, or possibly less so. ;)

I'm providing support for a data centre located outside the city, 400 odd kms outside, not a bad idea if you have good power where you are and good comms which they do.

Their target market in the city is small medium business, usually the ones lacking in IT support who do find the idea of Cloud a bit of a Godsend.

One client wants all his stuff to go to Cloud, fair enough, but somewhere along the line before I became involved that fractured a bit with primary apps to go to the DC but mail to go to Office 365 on MS servers.

Not the way I'd be doing it but not my client so go to site to grab some data to seed the app servers in the DC and do an Office 365 migration.

A sales guy, I suspect, had said they had about 460GB of data, seemed a lot for a plumber but diagrams can get large so I dutifully turn up with a 1TB external USB drive.

Hmm, not exactly, all their relevant data was in two shared folders on an incredibly un-configured unprotected network on a very old Dell server running an older copy of Small Business Server but only totaling about 67GB.

Cool, plug in the brand new USB3 drive - not recognised by three of the four USB ports, last one had a little struggle then negotiated erratically at around USB1.0 speed....

That could take a while, especially as the server was dropping the USB connection every few minutes...

Give up on that idea and put the drive on a workstation and start the backup over the network, at least that gave me 100Mb/s, well, not really, Ethernet is not exactly truthful about real throughput but looked like five hours and other things to do so ok.

Logon to Exchange... Have a supplied list of mailboxes, 16 of them, there are 25 on the server. Look closer they sort of average around 1.2GB each... Exchange has never been confgured, no mailbox limits and default 900 days before delete oldest...

Hmm, they are on ADSL2+. Run Speedtest, not wholly accurate but let's see.

Getting upload speed of .81Mb/s...

Quick calculation... screw that for a joke.... :) The migration would be taking a few days...

Have a little more of a poke around... I really did not know SBS would even run THAT unconfigured out of the box :)

So I have a chat to the client, I was alone in their offices, weekend job. It took plumbing analogies for the penny to drop, big buckets of data, little funnel, VERY big bucket other end, 365 now gives you 50GB mailboxes but that doesn't really help :)

They really don't want to delete any of their mail for some reason but happy to look at options.

Well, if they had been sold hosted Exchange I could move the mail on the drive but that's not the solution positioned.

By then the data backups had completed so decided to call it a day and talk to the DC folks.

A lot of embarrassment ensued... :)

Most sensible solution I can suggest, what I would have put up in the first place, is a local NAS and archive not just their existing mail but also all their other data. That way if they lose the net they can at least keep working and can access their stuff.

Solutions of that type are plentiful in the market, I like the Barracuda one particularly but it's not what has been quoted of course :)

Well, waiting to hear back....

Thing is the client is building a new office and when they finish will have a 20Mb/s synchronous net connection THEN Cloud is a good idea, not on this little ADSL2+ pipe :)

Cloud has some interesting gotchas but this I had thought should have come out in due diligence not when the tech turns up :)

Think I'm going to be getting a LOT more work for these guys, including sales :)

Ah well, I had forgotten how amusing SMB can be sometimes, rather refreshing after working mostly with Enterprise clients for a lot of years :)

Cheers

Politically incorrect?  You betcha!!!  :-)

Offline AccessDenied

• Custom Chrome Hardtail
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
Re: Delights of cloud migrations....
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 11:26:12 PM »
It is possible to migrate PST files into O365.  We've had to do this in the past.  Migrated customers data to PSTs.  Copied to USB drive (We did have 2.0 hi speed though).  Moved to location that had VDSL2 and migrate PSTs from there.

But that was a doozy.

Ours was discovering that if you want to migrate an Exchange server to O365, you need a legit SSL cert (not private SSL) to be able to migrate.  If you have a self-signed certificate, you CANNOT migrate to O365.  We looked at it.  We had done a fixed quote.  We worked out it would be cheaper for my boss to pay for the SSL himself so we could just "Press the button" than do any other method.  Buggerit.

Oh well.  We have a selling point for future.

AD

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
Re: Delights of cloud migrations....
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 08:29:21 AM »
Yeah AD, the plan of attack had been to convert the mailboxes to PST before migrating. It is a bit tedious but apparently more reliable.

I was not aware of the SSL cert requirement though, will have to remember that.

I've done next to nothing with O365, Technet makes it all seem very simple but the more I read and discuss the more gotchas I see and hear.

Cheers
Politically incorrect?  You betcha!!!  :-)