Author Topic: 2006 FXDLI SWINGARM TRAVEL  (Read 1379 times)

Offline BOOT

• Knucklehead
    • View Profile
2006 FXDLI SWINGARM TRAVEL
« on: October 01, 2013, 11:35:58 AM »
HEY !  I'm new here, got a small problem and looking for an answer. ..now I'm 50 some years old, been wrenching on everything I have ever owned, built cars, trucks, couple bikes (last one was '74 XLH ) quite a while back, ran my own NFA arms manufacturing business, ( I like this site...guns, bikes, whatever...) but retired, sold all my machinery, house and moved to Florida. Well, didn't take long, and I got the blues. ..figured out I felt "broken" because I didn't have a bike . My son found me a sweet deal on a '06 Dyna LowRider FXDLI...the guy needed diapers and formula so I got it CHEAP...with only 2247 miles on it. Sweet.  I needed saddlebags so got bags with hardware, and a new frame for the license tag and to move the rear turn signals off the fender struts. I pulled  the lower shock bolts, lifted the bike up, the rear wheel dropped some, so I got my hands under the fender and moved the turn signals, nice, hung the brackets for the bags, attached the bags, sat the bike back on the concrete and straightened it up, everything looked right and level, picked the bike back up to re-attach the lower bolt for the  shocks, and...THE REAR WHEEL WILL NOT DROP THE 1 inch I NEED TO RE-ATTACH THE SHOCKS !!! Now...I make mistakes....but there are no bolts interfering with the rear wheel or anything stupid like that, it spins freely. The swing arm "swang" freely a couple hours ago. Now it won't. I took a shower, drank a beer...nothing changed. This is ridiculous. There is no reason for this to happen. I hope I am gunna laugh my ass off about this tomorrow....but for now I am just kinda twisted. ....anyone have any thoughts as to what the hell happened ? ;qz   

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
Re: 2006 FXDLI SWINGARM TRAVEL
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 04:22:43 PM »
Hmm,

You probably need Richo he's the bike maestro, but I'd guess he is still at work jut now.

Cheers
Politically incorrect?  You betcha!!!  :-)

Offline Richo

• Big Kahuna
  • Fast, Cheap, Light...pick any two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 08:46:24 PM »
G'day Boot,

My best guess without seeing the bike is that there is some wear on the swingarm pivot or bushes. These will wear unevenly after the grease on them dries out and occasionally if the swingarm is extended through to a position it normally doesn't travel in it will bind.

Try loosening off your swingarm pivot, a good soaking with WD40 and see if you can free it up.

If you've got the bike on a hydraulic bike stand then you can gently lower the stand and use the weight of the bike to apply some force to get it to budge.

Cheers.
Work Hard, Play Hard, Stay Hard

Meet my little Baby

Offline BOOT

• Knucklehead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 11:47:26 PM »
Thanks for the input....haven't looked at it yet this morning, but hopefully something will change. It moved freely when I started the job, I can't see any reason for wear, as it only has less than 3000 original miles, grease may be stiff or dry,  thanks again, maybe I'll go outside and the rear wheel dropped on it's own overnight , ya right.

Offline Richo

• Big Kahuna
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 07:02:17 PM »
Cool, let me know what you find out ... intriguing problem !!

Meet my little Baby

Offline BOOT

• Knucklehead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 12:16:03 AM »
seems the only 'problem' is that I can't see. never noticed one of the left side hangers for the bag was just touching the belt guard and would not let the wheel come down, looked at it like 5 times never saw it. just had to ballpeen the mounting tab for the guard inward 3/8" or so, it was was nor centered anyway.....boy I looked dumb to myself

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 04:25:52 PM »
 rofl rofl rofl

Mate, you'll fit right in around here, everyone does dumb things sometimes.

I once spent half a morning under the front of a FIAT X1/9 cursing at the bloody top radiator hose, couldn't reach it. Suddenly realised what I needed was a longer driver, hop over the road to the local hardware, 20 minutes later job done ;)

Same car used to overheat sometimes and could never figure out why. One day it did it and I stopped because it was off the dial, not really a good idea with alloy heads but didn't see much choice.

Pop the engine cover, it's mid-engined, if you don't know them, the hoses had collapsed - hot day.

Immediate fix was hose clamps to stop the deformation, longer term fix was a call to Bayless in Atlanta. They laughed, said yeah, common problem you need corrugated hoses. Geez I spent a lot of money with those guys. I still miss that car, family made it impractical and now I'm afraid finding one that is not a rust bucket is just about impossible :(

Stick around, it's not exactly the fastest moving forum, but its fun :)

Cheers

Offline Richo

• Big Kahuna
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 06:25:00 PM »

Baa haa haa .. oh man that's funny Boot !  To be sure I've done some dumb as dogshit stuff myself over the yrs.

My latest one was a mouth full of petrol .. bleeeekkk !! That tasted bad.

Long story short .. Mower out of fuel. Plastic jerry can deformed and stuffed, wont seal.  *Ding* lightbulb goes off over my rustic skull ... My old Evo has a tankfull of fuel and its just sitting there in the garage. No clear siphon hose .. bah, no problem for an ingenious fella like myself .. one cut length of garden hose later ...

I discovered the merits of a see through siphon hose very rapidly.

Meet my little Baby

Offline AccessDenied

• Custom Chrome Hardtail
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 06:35:26 PM »
Stupid is too easy to do.
I occasionally teach scouts (both genders these days) blacksmithing.  It goes towards a badge.  Quite popular for some strange reason.  Especially with the parents who also insist on having a go.

My first session.  I made a huge HUGE point about "Black steel is dangerous steel".  Meaning.  Just because it doesn't look hot, doesn't mean it isn't.  I demonstrate this by starting the fire and resting 2 pieces of steel off to 1 side of the fire.  When the kids arrive and start to gather, I pull the piece sof steel out (surreptitiously) and put to the side.

"OK guys.  When in a forge, ALWAYS treat steel like it is red hot.  It doesn't start glowing until about 350C.  Which of these 2 pieces of steel is hot?  Do you know?  This one?  Raise your hand?  This one?  Raise your hand?"  Typically 50/50 split.  Put both pieces in 1 by 1.  Both hiss and boil the water instantly.  Point made.  Brilliant.

Next day.  No kids.  Promptly burn hand on hot steel I was negligent with.

AD

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 12:02:43 PM »
Ouch, yeah, I sometimes teach soldering, more than once when not following my own teachings I've absent mindedly picked up the iron by the wrong end.... ;)

Cheers