Author Topic: ITX - how bemusing  (Read 2395 times)

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
ITX - how bemusing
« on: September 14, 2013, 07:50:55 PM »
I just don't do ITX much, been years actually, couple of compression servers, never noticed the bemusement of today.

They don't have an onboard speaker, so you get no beep codes, or at least the Gigabyte recommended didn't.

It's just a build for a client, replacing a laptop that never moved - sweet design, although I do wish Coolermaster would fucking colour code their front panel interface cables. But shit, it is so quiet I really thought I had something wired wrong, until the fan clipped me :)

It's built, but still no idea if it's  booting until I pull out the screen and speakers - seems a bit dumb :)

Ah well board leds are up, optical lights up but apparently even the HDD led doesn't light until the drive is doing something.

PC's, always something new ;)

Ah well, gave me time to put the new workshop come guest room together, and find some missing tools  :)

Anyone else play around with these things?

Just odd not to get beeps on boot :)

Cheers

Politically incorrect?  You betcha!!!  :-)

Offline Richo

• Big Kahuna
  • Fast, Cheap, Light...pick any two
    • View Profile
Re: ITX - how bemusing
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 10:20:28 AM »
I used to keep a small speaker with a couple of single pin connectors soldered onto the leads in my toolkit.

Very rarely I'd find a mobo with no onboard but when you do its very handy.
Work Hard, Play Hard, Stay Hard

Meet my little Baby

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 12:55:06 PM »
Yeah, done that myself, trouble is this particular board doesn't even have header pins, seems to be going ok now, still have to reverse the polarity on the HDD LED but just thought fuck it and loaded Windows first. That was odd as well, first install failed and didn't find half the USB ports before it went down, 2nd time around no trouble.

I haven't used Gigabyte in quite a while but for what the customer wanted PCCaseGear recommended it. The last of their boards I had some strange audio issues with as well. Should have followed my gut and gone ASUS but would have been an utterly different built.

Oh well, getting there now, some builds are just not smooth ;)

Cheers

Offline LordDread

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Eat da-shiang bao-tza shr duh lah doo-tze,dong ma?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 06:25:51 PM »
this pc has GA mobo and gfx, ,runs very well, my last pc had some asus in it.. it still has some freaky issues i could nevber track down..

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 07:57:59 PM »
Yeah,

I've never had much trouble with Asus, maybe you just had a bad one - funnily enough when a customer is on a tight budget I usually go Asrock, not the best rep but never had a single problem.

Cheers

Offline Richo

• Big Kahuna
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 08:15:26 PM »
Agree on the asrock .. supposed to be cheap and nasty but every time I've fixed / upgraded one they've been mostly hassle free.

Abit are touchy, gigabytes after about 2002 are fine, intels a mixed bunch.

Meet my little Baby

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 08:30:46 PM »
:)

Funny isn't it?

Asrock is actually sorta low-end Asus, but no, never had a problem worthy of mention.

Used to love Epox, then they fucked up.

Intel, eh, ok for servers.

This Gigabyte is behaving just like they always have for me, bit of a fight then fine :)

ITX is a strange form factor though, the Coolermaster case, as always, is great, bitch to work in at that form factor though :)

Looking good, final checks and fix that header then burn-in.

BTW, anyone know of a version of Doom that runs on Win 7 64 bit? My client would love it, old school, buggered if I can find one, looking like some newer FPS for his down-time just now :)

Cheers

Offline Richo

• Big Kahuna
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 09:34:06 PM »
 Doom: http://www.dosgamers.com/dos/dos-games/doom-heretic-hexen

pain to configure, need an emulator but do-able.

Meet my little Baby

Offline AccessDenied

• Custom Chrome Hardtail
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 11:07:04 AM »
Love my mITX.  (It's about 6" x 6".)

Has 1 x PCIe 16x
Lots of USB and SATA ports

It's my media PC.  Whacked a decent graphic card in there.  USB for DTV.  Bluray drive.  Runs like a dream.

And it's about 3 years newer than my main desktop PC and shits all over main PC for performance.

Crazy fast, and only cost me $800 total.  (Custom case.  It's built in an ornamental wooden birdcage.  :P

AD

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 12:05:05 PM »

Thanks Rico, shall go  give it a go.

Don't get me wrong AD, its a nice machine, just a rather strange build.

Cheers

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 06:48:33 AM »

I do try not to reply to myself, but this time - what a sweet machine, I almost do not want to let it go, what a sweet machine :)

I fired up the audio, usb, and it stunned me, may have to re-think my next audio system :)

Gigabyte, always seems a bit of a fight, for me, but hell, Love it, my friend is going to be very, very happy :)

Burning in now, and cool as a CoolerMaster always is - 30c and stable as a rock, rarely do I say I'm proud of a build, they are just PCs, but this is one I am so proud of, also bloody exhausting, partly cos I built in in a half finished workshop that kept hiding tools ;)

Nice, really nice :)

Cheers

Offline Richo

• Big Kahuna
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 08:28:14 AM »

Did you take any pics ?

Meet my little Baby

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 12:30:53 PM »
Hmm,

No, I rarely do, and it's been picked up now, but this is the case:

http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/46390-rc-120a-kkn1?gclid=CJDi27uw0bkCFQThpAod6FIAqA

Of itself just a nice case but the internals were said board, Corsair RAM, Seagate SATA drive, LG BluRay burner, TPLink WI-Fi card, Asus screen and a Logitech board/mouse combo plus Genius speakers all black.

Looked sweet, but its more the way it performs ;)

Cheers

Offline Richo

• Big Kahuna
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 02:39:53 PM »

Coolermaster really do some schmick, quiet cases don't they.

Any Ideas on what the audio sample rates and DAC's were on the gigabyte board ?  Interesting to find out if you believe the audio was that good And if there's anyone around these parts with a penchant for good audio, its you).

Meet my little Baby

Offline LordDread

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Eat da-shiang bao-tza shr duh lah doo-tze,dong ma?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 06:28:43 PM »
yeah everything on my GA boards just work, ive been using OB sound for a while now, works just fine and pretty good quality too, even this mobo's Ob GFX is freaking awesome, by OB standards, hd4000 .. hell its OB that can run games pretty well...not that im ehh using it now,but i tried it out when i was building this in stages.

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 08:15:44 AM »

Coolermaster really do some schmick, quiet cases don't they.

Any Ideas on what the audio sample rates and DAC's were on the gigabyte board ?  Interesting to find out if you believe the audio was that good And if there's anyone around these parts with a penchant for good audio, its you).

Coolermaster gets my vote even over LiOn tbh, they really are, um "cool" :)

No, no specs of any relevance on the board at all, it just sounded.... great ;)

You are going to love this.... In downsizing I was going to sell my highly customised and well over $5k original cost hi-fi, and that was at wholesale - my younger daughter was horrified, she grew up listening to it, and learned to love music because of it - so it's on "permanent loan" and her house-mates have acquired a new appreciation of what good sound is ;)

I'll need the speakers back once all the dust settles, just to re-cone them for her, hey, they are 28 years old :)

Meanwhile, whenever the wife's back is turned I'm concocting a new one, Yamaha based but I don't think they would recognise the boards any more, let alone the valve front end - been interesting, had to shrink it, the system daughter has is well, large :) The speakers were dirt cheap, but amazing what some silicone and sealing and good cable and wool can do - sounds glorious, but not done yet :)

I guess I am the audio nut around here huh ? :)

's ok it's a  passion :)

Cheers