Author Topic: Gee that was quick :)  (Read 2105 times)

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
Gee that was quick :)
« on: August 25, 2013, 10:29:08 AM »
 :)

I only suggested this to the boss a day or so ago.

Within our tiny membership we have a lot of tech skills so I thought it would be a good idea to have any exchanges of problems or just plain information in one place.

Me I'm a tech generalist, mostly networking really but can cover most any topis but Apple :)

That's why I'm going back to self-employment, suits me better than working for dick-heads.

I do have one problem that has been annoying me for months, someone may have an answer - I'm on Windows 7 on most of my machines and the bloody toolbar stops auto hiding after a couple of days. A re-boot fixes it, for a while, but a Google around says that I am not alone and it can be damned annoying when the thing covers buttons on a web page. The MS excuse is that something on the bar is asking for attention, don't believe it, it never used to do this in XP in fact it still doesn't on the one machine I have left running XP.

Anyone have any bright ideas or just seeing the same annoyance?

Cheers

Politically incorrect?  You betcha!!!  :-)

Offline McClean

• The token American
  • Big Kahuna
  • Ain't I pretty? ;)
    • View Profile
Re: Gee that was quick :)
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 11:57:19 AM »

Well, I would like to point out that we used to have a board devoted to tech problems.

That was one of over a dozen boards I swept into one a while back in an attempt to streamline the forum.

I thought we had too many boards and none of those boards were getting any traffic.

It would have been a simple task to resurrect the old tech board and I could still merge it with this one if anybody wants.

All the same to me.

As for the question I hand,  I have NFI.

At the moment, I'm on a mix of XP and Android. I'm not currently using Win 7 at all and so I don't have any answers on this one.
Where everything out here ain't what it seems
When I'm down to nothing, I just go ahead and dream
And face the fact that I'm a circle in a world full of squares

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 12:31:57 PM »

Yeah mate, i do recall we had a tech board but for a while when traffic was at a crawl it was time to cull and you did a great job.

However between you, me, Richo, Ry, Logic, AD, Middy, probably a few others we have enough techs posting again to make it worthwhile.

Yeah, I really have nfi on this toolbar thing, I just re-booted and it's behaving itself, which is what people commonly report. There are thousands and thousands of comments about it all across many sites. MS have made a few suggestions and tried to blame legacy apps. Most of the time I have a browser and Skype open and that's all apart from the normal icons. It really is just plain fucking annoying but, it's about the only thing I've ever found deficient in win7 - *shrug* wait for 9, 8 btw is a piece of crap :)

Cheers

It's a

Offline McClean

• The token American
  • Big Kahuna
  • Ain't I pretty? ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 01:53:39 PM »
I've not had Win 8 on a machine of my own but from what I've seen it is much better on touch screens than it is on systems with conventional GUIs.

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 02:29:07 PM »
Yeah, pretty much, its sort of a bastardised mix of 7 and Windows phone in many ways.

Drove Eagle a little crazy setting up a new lappy for one of his bosses, he can tell the story :)

Cheers

Offline Richo

• Big Kahuna
  • Fast, Cheap, Light...pick any two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 06:04:29 PM »

Find this folder: c:\windows\prefetch

Back it up somewhere and then delete its entire contents.

No more taskbar pain.

8)
Work Hard, Play Hard, Stay Hard

Meet my little Baby

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 07:33:38 AM »

Will give it a go, never heard of that one - thanks mate.

Cheers

Offline AccessDenied

• Custom Chrome Hardtail
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 01:05:49 PM »
Richo is a quick one.  I'd also suggest that if that fails, a good way to test whether it's a 'notification lockup' in the taskbar is to disable ALL notifications.  Right click the clock and select Customize Notification Icons.

Set to Hide icon and notifications on all the things you CBF'd dealing with.

Try it out and see where you go.  You could try disabling one at a time and see which one has the problem.  This is a 'known issue' with some programs that were written for XP and 'ported' to Windows 7.  The notification balloon happens and goes away.  But sometimes the 'process' for the notification balloon stays active despite it vanishing on screen, thus your toolbar stays up.

AD

Offline Richo

• Big Kahuna
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 02:59:33 PM »
Those shitty programs also used to bork the taskbar in xp and fista as well.

Crap software.

Meet my little Baby

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 09:52:30 AM »
Hmm,

Can see what both of you are getting at, just dd both, I would think a re-boot is now in order, going out shortly, will let the prick of a thing reboot whilst I do that and see, no diff so far.

Thing is this particular PC my wife bought for her son, nice Vaio but he had no interest, so I gave him some cash instead.However by that time I had set it all up for him so I have my profile sitting on top of his - been meaning to do a rebuild for ages, but 7 is a pain like that, half the fucking time a perfectly valid key gets rejected.

Overall we really do like Vaios, have three of them, but there's an awful lot of pretty useless Sony shit that is probably the root cause. Japanese, great hardware, crap software :)

Thanks, let you know how it goes :)

Cheers

Offline Richo

• Big Kahuna
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 03:44:18 PM »
I'm a big fan of sony stuff too but I keep killing them (phones and a vaio that was Cat's).

Spunky they are, durable they are not.  ::w

Meet my little Baby

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 09:22:37 AM »

Never had a Sony phone, prefer Samsung, but haven't had any real problems with Vaios that was not self-inflicted. However if you want a really durable lappy Asus is bloody hard to beat, I keep buying them for others, never have for myself - go figure :)

I'm not quite sure what those changes you both recommended did but whilst the toolbar is staying locked browser windows have re-sized perfectly so it doesn't matter any more - neat :) Thanks :)

Cheers

Offline McClean

• The token American
  • Big Kahuna
  • Ain't I pretty? ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 06:22:04 PM »

I've mixed feelings on Samsung phones. I had one a few years back that I loved but I currently have a Galaxy S2 and I'm still working on warming up to it.

I actually don't own any Sony gear myself but I've bought various Sony stuff as gifts over the years. A few years ago, I looked around extensively for a MP3 as a Christmas present for a friend of mine and Sony ended up being far and away the best choice.

Chris has been singing the Vaio song to me for years and I have looked at them from time to time but to me they're like a lot of Sony gear in that they seem a bit overpriced, especially for what I would be doing with it.

I'm rather fond of HP myself but the lappie I'm using atm is a Gateway.

Offline Richo

• Big Kahuna
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 08:33:12 PM »
Oh I dig HP lappys.

I'm typing this on old trusty. She's an old salary sacrifice lappy I got through work and has to be going on 7 yrs old now.

She's a NX9420 with a 17" screen. She's been through 6 batteries, 3 hdds, 2 x optical drives, 2 x keyboards and shortly a new touchpad.

Her specs are a long way from what she left the factory with, now she's maxed out with a 750gb hdd (dual boot) and 4 gigs of ram.

They sure built them tough in 06 I tell ya !! This thing has been to hell and back, gets used hard daily, spent 2 yrs just transcoding video files 24/7 early on in the piece. Touch wood, she just never misses a beat ... keeps on keeping on.

Meet my little Baby

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 07:46:22 AM »

My Netbook, which is more just a portable analysis tool really is an HP, bloody unreal the misuse it puts up with, you get into some odd places doing analysis sometimes, like down mines :)

I just find Vaios, for daily use to be very, very dependable and great screens.

We have mostly Sony stereo gear these days, bit of Yamaha, bit of home brew, the speakers, haven't hooked half of it back up yet since the move, that will be relax time come the weekend.

I did have this highly esoteric hi-fi, but it was far too big for this place so its on permanent loan to one of my daughters. I had not realised but it is so old that she grew up listening to it before she could hardly walk and still in great condition. She was horrified when I said I was thinking to sell it, never thought of her as especially sentimental but it made sense after a bit. She lives with a couple of musos who were apparently blown away by the sound :)

The TV is a Sony as well, so was the last one. Still can't find the fucking remote, going to see if I can get the wife over her resistance to universals I think, not too technical my wife :)

Cheers

Offline McClean

• The token American
  • Big Kahuna
  • Ain't I pretty? ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 08:25:33 AM »

I use a universal remote that goes with my CATV box and Sony TVs are another case of seeming a bit overpriced to me but you did remind me of something I'd actually forgotten. I do have a Sony VCR. I bought it in the late 90s and it's still humming right along but then it's barely been used.

Everything else I have video wise is Philips Magnavox and while I have no complaints I again don't use it enough for it to really matter all that much.

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 04:39:02 PM »

Sony TVs are a bit different price-wise here I think, there are cheaper but with a bit of haggling they are not much different to say Panasonic, whom I sort of have an instinctive dislike of that comes from my retail days when if we were lucky we could make 3% margin.

What universal do you have? I've just started the research.

Cheers

Offline McClean

• The token American
  • Big Kahuna
  • Ain't I pretty? ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2013, 07:34:25 PM »
I'll go get it and tell you but it most likely won't do you any good.

As I said, it came with my CATV box which actually belongs to the cable company.

I've had some variation of the same remote ever since I first got digital cable back in the late 90s but about all I've ever used it for besides changing channels on the CATV box is to turn the TV on and off and adjust the volume.

Nope, I went and looked but I think no help at all.

The remote has no name on it at all beyond a cable company logo and it can only be programmed to control one other device besides the TV and the CATV box itself which is Motorola.

Edit:

Your question reminded me of something I'd actually forgotten. I do have another truly universal remote and it's a Philips.

I bought it some years ago after fumbling in the dark for multiple remotes with one arm while having a certain troublesome blonde passed out drunk on my other arm and because I somehow lost the remote to my stereo.

Best I remember it was relatively cheap and did an okay job. In theory it will control a TV, VCR, DVD, one other axillary device a CATV box and a satellite and those buttons can be programmed to control something else.

As I said, best I remember, it did okay except it never did totally play nice with the CATV box and since that's the main thing I use, I haven't used that remote in years.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 07:44:23 PM by McClean »

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 11:11:44 PM »

Thanks, Philips are not as big here as they once were, think I'm off to the tech store )

Cheers

Offline AccessDenied

• Custom Chrome Hardtail
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 09:43:51 AM »
Don't mind the Sony's and Samsung.  However, if I get a new TV, it's going to be a Soniq.

Why?  Because it doesn't have any 'smarts' in it at all.  I've got a media PC.  It has  Blu-ray, web, DTV and PVR.  It interfaces with my phones and my other PCs.  I've got speakers hooked up to the system.

So why would I want to pay for a TV to do all that?

Soniq is quite an acceptable display.  If you treat it like a 1080P monitor rather than a TV it's quite good value.
If you don't want to have a seperate PC to be a media PC, then it's an absolutely lousy TV.  Get a Samsung or Sony.

However, I like playing Diablo 3 on my media PC.  And looking forward to Diablo 3's expansion coming out.  Hope to have the 40" screen by then.  Currently a 22"

AD

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 06:45:32 PM »

Actually AD I completely agree, the Sony was my wife, all we really use it for is the news :)

Well, do like NCIS :)

Cheers

Offline McClean

• The token American
  • Big Kahuna
  • Ain't I pretty? ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 07:14:57 PM »

On this side of the world, Samsung offers pretty good bang for the buck. So does LG. Sony not so much.

From a very quick online skim a pretty decent looking LG, 42" 1080P screen is $399 local retail.

Insignia, a brand I'm not at all familiar with, is $299 for a 40" 1080P.

I don't game, I don't watch movies and my TV viewing is mostly limited to news, NCIS, Chicago Fire and whatever happens to be on late at night when I can't sleep and I'm bored with the computer and so I don't worry too much about how big my TV is.

The one I watch most of the time is a 19" CRT and about 15 years old...

Offline Richo

• Big Kahuna
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 07:24:53 PM »
I couldn’t go back to a crt or a small screen.

Something to do with getting old :P

Meet my little Baby

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 07:32:39 PM »
 :) :)

As a very old friend often says mate, getting old beats the alternative. :)

Funny really, few years back now I bought my anime loving kid a huge CRT, Telefunken, cheap as - can't give it away, Middy is sort of hoarding it at the moment :)

Cheers

Offline Richo

• Big Kahuna
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 07:41:35 PM »
Yeah I'm hearing you..

I had a hitachi 21" crt monitor for years. It was the ducks guts and kicked the hell out of anything that moved for grapics work and gaming, had an insanely small dot pitch etc ..

I was devo when I replaced it some 6yrs later with a cheap flat screen 24" that kicked its arse. Couldn't even give the thing away.

Not to mention the huge 52" sony rear projection TV in my garage ... can't even give it away, honestly, I've tried ...

Meet my little Baby