Author Topic: The Rusted Bolt, a thread about old things.  (Read 2074 times)

Offline McClean

• The token American
  • Big Kahuna
  • Ain't I pretty? ;)
    • View Profile
The Rusted Bolt, a thread about old things.
« on: January 22, 2013, 07:11:46 AM »
:)

Feel free to use this thread to post about anything old. It can be old junk, old stuff, old bikes, old cars, old pictures, old tools from your shed, old records, old anything. As long as its older than 25 years it will qualify!
Where everything out here ain't what it seems
When I'm down to nothing, I just go ahead and dream
And face the fact that I'm a circle in a world full of squares

Offline Wallacey

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
Re: The Rusted Bolt, a thread about old things.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 03:24:18 PM »
Is this where we post about Hardman?

:P
Whatever

Offline McClean

• The token American
  • Big Kahuna
  • Ain't I pretty? ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 04:19:31 PM »
 rofl

Actually, in the description for the old Rusted Bolt board, Richo included "old people," in his list of old things we could post about but then he went on to say anything over 25 years old.

Well by that definition, I think just about everyone here would qualify as "old."

I suppose I could change it to, post about anything older than Hardman.

I wonder if anyone has say a semaphore tower in their backyard?  pappychris.gif

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 04:26:09 PM »
 Mrs.Wallacey.gif

;)

Been wanting to use that one again for a while ;)

60 now, which does very nearly make me the oldest thing in the house, my wife has a few years on me and so do a few of the other antiques ;)

Can't say either of us really feel it though, my new boss, who is a few years younger than me was VERY surprised when he met me, can't be good living, must be the genes ;)

Cheers

Politically incorrect?  You betcha!!!  :-)

Offline McClean

• The token American
  • Big Kahuna
  • Ain't I pretty? ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 09:44:18 PM »

Well, you're a bit older than my father.  :P

We were having the "age" talk on a cooking forum I hang out on. One of the other members said that whenever she answers the phone and it's their grown son wanting to talk to his dad he simply asks her, "is Methuselah busy?"

I'll be 37 in June but I don't feel it and I don't think I much look it either. Especially since I shaved my mustache and reverted to a just got out of boot camp haircut.

My mother is a collector of what is mostly old junk but she thinks of it as antiques and so I really have NFI what the oldest thing in the house is.

I'm not even entirely sure what the oldest thing of mine is.

Off the top of my head, probably a couple of oil lamps that are late 19th century but I also have some family papers and letters that are from around the same time period.

Also depends on how you define old.

I have a working PC from the early 90s.

25 years isn't old for a person but it's getting up there for a computer.

If I had the room, I'd set it up somewhere just so I could introduce the facebook on my phone generation to the days of your computing experience began with the letter "C."

My cat will be 14 in March, which is getting rather up there in cat years. Although my grandmother had one that lived to be 20 something.

The oldest thing I have that I actually care anything about would probably be my Granddad's medals from WW2.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 11:54:25 PM by McClean »

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 07:59:09 PM »

Hadn't noticed this for some reason.

That's a good point, have my grandfather's medals from WW1, they probably are the oldest thing in the house.

Cheers

Offline McClean

• The token American
  • Big Kahuna
  • Ain't I pretty? ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 12:55:30 PM »
Yeah, I have his Bronze Star, Purple Heart, Combat Infantryman Badge and Paratrooper Wings.

Like I said my mother has a bunch of old shit but the oldest thing I personally own is probably an Alladin oil lamp from the late 19th century and another one that I would guess is from around the same time period but I don't really know.

I also have my great-grandmother's punchbowl.

I have no idea how old it is either but she died around 1950.

Offline AccessDenied

• Custom Chrome Hardtail
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 09:13:12 PM »
Oldest thing I own is my great-grandfathers wedding ring.  It is made from gold that he had mined himself.  (Irish immigrant)

AD

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 09:56:21 AM »
That's kinda special AD, got a pic?

Cheers

Offline AccessDenied

• Custom Chrome Hardtail
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 10:06:30 AM »
Will grab it out and photo it sometime.

Sick in bed at moment.  On tablet PC.

Not well enough to mess around with cameras etc

AD

Offline Skipper

• Knucklehead
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 11:50:34 PM »
I am off to work.  Old things.  Besides me.  The oldest thing in my home is my grandfather's lighter that he took to France when he served in the Army in WWI.  He was a machine gunner corporal.  In the trenches.   pappychris.gif
Those who would trade their essential liberties for a little safety deserve neither safety nor liberty. (or something like that)

Offline McClean

• The token American
  • Big Kahuna
  • Ain't I pretty? ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 09:24:03 AM »
Hey Skipper, not seen you here in a while.

Yeah, WW1 was one hell of a war. I don't suppose there's ever been a good one but WW1 was gas, trenches, bogged down in the mud and moving forward a few feet was considered a good advance.

My ancestors managed to avoid WW1 but both of my grandfathers were in WW2.

My paternal grandfather was on not one but two ships that were sunk by the Germans and on the second one he managed to do something that sound like something I would do.

He was radioman. The captain wanted him to send off a distress signal but the radio room was flooding and the water had shorted out the equipment.

He said he had no idea how he did it but he managed to rig together some equipment and send a distress call.

I don't remember it but my mother says that when I was a little kid and something wasn't working I would tell her, Jamie fix. Jamie make work.

I guess it's in the genes...

Offline Skipper

• Knucklehead
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 11:50:32 AM »
Hey McClean.  Nice to be back.  Yes WWI was nasty.  Grandpa Veno had nightmares about it til the day he died at 83.  Dad was WWII, rest of the family was Viet Nam with the exception of cousin Dennis who stayed in the Navy reserve and got action in Granada and Kuwait. Anyway, grandpa's lighter still works and will burn about anything.  Not picky.  LOL!  They don't make them like they used to.  I keep it on the cabinet next to my old brass zippo.  Just got in from changing the oil and checking the primary chain on the Twin Cam 88.  Then had to go for a short ride.  My therapy.  Have a good one!
Those who would trade their essential liberties for a little safety deserve neither safety nor liberty. (or something like that)

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 12:10:46 PM »
Heh,

WWI, both my grandfathers were there and both survived, one never saw combat, his biggest adventure was being trapped atop a radio antenna in a monsoon storm in Northern India for 10 hours or so.

The other was blown up on the Somme and gassed at Paschendale as I recall, could have been the other way around. When he was blown up the medics found him once it quietened down buried under soil with one nostril exposed and riddled with shrapnel, some of which stayed with him all his life. If the gas ever had any effect he never mentioned it, gave up being a very heavy smoker at 60 when double pneumonia nearly killed him. He was never invalided out, ended the war in the trenches.

His most common tales of the war were German troops trying to bayonet tanks, forays into No-man's Land that were mostly tragi-comic and making makeshift grenades from jam tins and gunpowder, suitably laced with projectiles I'm sure.

Never had much time for Germans, he's still remembered by some around Yeovilton airbase for shooting at ME-109s with a .303 the one and only time the base was attacked, him in the open everyone else in slit-trenches and him an airbase cop, they would not let him serve in the army.

Tales get magnified through the years but legend says he actually hit one... ;)

Good to see you back Skipper :)

Cheers

Offline McClean

• The token American
  • Big Kahuna
  • Ain't I pretty? ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 12:50:29 PM »

I believe my paternal grandfather's radio story because I knew him.

He could fix anything and he could drive anything and he firmly believed in never worry about the theory just so long as it works.

I have the medals and papers proving what my maternal grandfather did including he carried a wounded buddy of his three miles to an aid station as well as the knife, sidearm and uniform patches he took from a German soldier he killed and the letters he wrote home to my grandmother. She was worried about him and he told her not to worry, that he wasn't scared of the Germans, they were easy to kill.

WW1, gas was nasty on all sides and in some cases they ended up unintentionally gassing their own men.

I would not recommend bayoneting a tank but the Germans didn't know what the fuck was coming at them.

Winston Churchill was a deeply, deeply flawed man but he was the first person to see what tanks were capable of. At least the first person in a position to actually make it happen and send them crashing into the German front lines.

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 03:21:23 PM »
Heh,

There is not much I would not believe of my Grandfather either but especially that he hit one of those -109s, probably not fatally but he was marksman rated in his platoon and I personally saw him kill a fox from over 100 metres, with a .22 at 11pm shooting downhill by moonlight.

Never did know if he was gassed by friendly fumes, would not surprise me.

Cheers

Offline Skipper

• Knucklehead
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 11:05:56 PM »
Veno grew up on a farm where firearms were part of every day life.  Those guys started shooting when they were old enough to hold a .22 single shot rifle.  A 100 meter kill shot at 11 pm is very impressive, but also very believable.  Grandpa used to take his .22 pheasant hunting and for fun the family used to throw various items in the air and shoot at them with an old Colt .22 Peacemaker.  (Not recommended in populated areas...LOL!)  I love hearing about the old days.  Especially the ones I remember.   pappychris.gif

Offline McClean

• The token American
  • Big Kahuna
  • Ain't I pretty? ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2014, 04:30:39 AM »

I live in a part of the world where if you come to visit and you don't have a gun, we'll give you one.

Boys are given BB guns and pellet guns before they are old enough to shave.

I had a bolt action .22 before I had a mustache.

I was on my ROTC rifle team.

I was my ROTC pistol team commander.

My grandmother put me in charge of the money at her twice a year yard sales. She handed me a .38 snub nose and told me if I had to shoot to keep shooting until they went down.

As the U.S. expanded, there was no law. The only law was the gun on your hip.

If you wanted to feed your family you went out and shot something.

I can make a kill shot at 100 meters, in the dark.

The Colt Single Action Revolver is the gun that won the West.

You didn't have to reload. All you had to do was pull the hammer back.