Author Topic: Hawaiian Chicken Chili  (Read 2942 times)

Offline McClean

• The token American
  • Big Kahuna
  • Ain't I pretty? ;)
    • View Profile
Hawaiian Chicken Chili
« on: April 22, 2011, 01:26:53 PM »
:)

Someone asked me to post this recipe on another forum and so I thought I might as well toss it up here as well.

It’s my variation of a recipe from a friend of mine’s daughter.

First, you'll need some salsa.

This is the recipe I use.

Ingredients:

28 oz can whole tomatoes, drained or about 1 ½ pounds fresh Roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped; 1 green pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped; 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped; juice of one fresh lime; 1 teaspoon dried cilantro; 3/4 teaspoon salt; 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder; 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper; several dashes Tabasco sauce.
Directions:

Put all of the ingredients in a food processor and pulse about 12 times. The mixture should be slightly chunky, not like the crap they sell in jars.

Transfer the salsa to a bowl, cover and set aside until ready to use.

Can also be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for several days.

Note: If I’m serving this fresh, such as with tortilla chips, then I use fresh tomatoes, but for the chili, you can save some time and just use canned tomatoes.

Once you have the salsa, you’ll need to cook the chicken.
Ingredients:

Four boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes; 2 tablespoons olive oil; 2 sticks of butter; 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper; 1 teaspoon black pepper; 1 teaspoon salt.

Directions:

Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over high heat and you will need a LARGE skillet, such as a Dutch oven or large pot, because in the end, you make the chili in the same pot and yes, I meant two sticks of butter. You use the butter to cook both the chicken and the vegetables.

Place chicken in a large mixing bowl, add spices and toss to coat.

Add the chicken in a single lawyer. Do not stir. Allow chicken to brown on one side, about two minutes, flip to the other side and cook for an additional two minutes.

Remove chicken with a slotted spoon and place on a clean plate.

Now, it’s time to make the chili.

Ingredients:

1 fresh cut pineapple, cut into bite sized pieces ( you can use canned, but I have the best of both worlds, the grocery store I go to sells fresh pineapple already cut up); 1 green bell pepper, chopped; 1 large yellow onion, chopped; 2 garlic cloves, minced; 2-15 ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed; 1-28 ounce can chopped tomatoes; 1-6 ounce can tomato paste; 1-15 ounce can sweet corn, drained; 1 tablespoon chili powder; 1 tablespoon cumin; 1 1/2 teaspoons salt; 1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
Directions:

After removing chicken from the pot, reduce heat to medium high. Add garlic, onion and bell pepper and cook until tender, about two minutes.

Add chicken, salsa and all other ingredients EXCEPT the pineapple.

Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for about one hour, stirring occasionally.

Stir in pineapple and serve immediately.

Where everything out here ain't what it seems
When I'm down to nothing, I just go ahead and dream
And face the fact that I'm a circle in a world full of squares

Caelum

Re: Hawaiian Chicken Chili
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 03:18:29 PM »
define: stick of butter

Offline McClean

• The token American
  • Big Kahuna
  • Ain't I pretty? ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 07:51:03 PM »

Do you need me to define cups, ounces and spoons while I'm at it?  :P

In the US, butter is typically sold in 1 pound boxes which contain four individually wrapped sticks.

Each stick is 1/4 pound or 1/2 cup, just depends on how you want to measure it.

Assuming you like chili and you like spicy, you should give this a go. It's among the best chili I've ever eaten.

Offline LordDread

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Eat da-shiang bao-tza shr duh lah doo-tze,dong ma?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 08:29:25 PM »
see we dont have anything like that here, we have a blocks, which i believe are 250 grams (hey i dont use it.. ) but ive never seen anything like a box with sticks of butter.

Offline McClean

• The token American
  • Big Kahuna
  • Ain't I pretty? ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 08:44:19 PM »

Okay, what we have here is either tyranny of text, or completely different ways of packaging things.

Either way, I found this online.

This would be one stick of butter.

Here, you can buy a box that contains four sticks or you can buy a box that contains eight sticks.

The latter is where you have to watch out.

In a great many things sold in the US, including butter, you'll actually pay more per ounce for the great big "value" size than you'd pay for the smaller one.

Regardless, my recipe calls for two of what's in this pic.

Caelum

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 08:48:36 PM »
Yeah, in aus they're typically in 250 or 500gr blocks...

Those blocks have markings down the side for certain measurements... But they aren't packaged as sticks, like your are.

Hence the confusion :)

Offline LordDread

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 09:01:48 PM »
yeah never seen anything like a pack of four, prolly a US thing

we have this for cooking,also comes in 400g blocks marked for 100g portions and 500g

oh yeah we had that problem with price's not so long ago, now they have to put a price per unit/100g/litre or whatever on everything so it can be compared.

Offline McClean

• The token American
  • Big Kahuna
  • Ain't I pretty? ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 09:13:04 PM »
 rofl

No, dready, we have the same kind of labels here.

In supermarkets, every single item has a shelf tag telling you the price per something.

The something depends on what you're buying, but every item has a shelf tag by which you can compare costs.

The thing is, a lot of people simply assume it's cheaper to buy in bulk, which often times it is and so they just grab the biggest one of the shelf.

People also like to buy "this week's special," when the smaller one next to it is actually cheaper.

I used to work for the grocery chain I shop at and so I both know all of their tricks and I've seen first hand how stupid people can be in their choices.

Anyway, to get back to the topic.

If anyone in Oz wants to make this, then a 250g block would look to be about the same thing.

As for dready's pic, that's not butter, it's margarine, they're two completely different things and real cooks cook with butter.  :P

Caelum

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 09:15:38 PM »
Yeah, i've never cooked with marg, and i never will...

Either real butter, or a good quality vegetable oil, be it olive, sunflower, grapeseed, whatever.. Just as long as it's a good one :P

Offline McClean

• The token American
  • Big Kahuna
  • Ain't I pretty? ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 09:21:11 PM »

I'm going shopping later today and so I'll have a look, but now that I think on it. I think they sell the larger blocks of butter here as well.

I just always buy what I linked before because it best suits what I'm doing with it.

Offline LordDread

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 09:22:19 PM »
thats cause all the pics i could find of the butter were fucking shit., and yeah ur right bout the dumb ppl :p

Offline LogicprObe

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 11:41:54 PM »

Offline McClean

• The token American
  • Big Kahuna
  • Ain't I pretty? ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 02:32:02 AM »

I clicked the link.

No way am I going to make the additional click to make it play.

I just don't want to know...

Offline McClean

• The token American
  • Big Kahuna
  • Ain't I pretty? ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 02:39:19 AM »

I'm going shopping later today and so I'll have a look, but now that I think on it. I think they sell the larger blocks of butter here as well.

I just always buy what I linked before because it best suits what I'm doing with it.

I may well be the only person to have ever used a phone to take a picture of a shelf of butter at the grocery store.  rofl

Anyway, this would be butter and margarine as sold in a typical US supermarket.

These are 1 pound boxes and each contain four sticks.

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 11:20:41 AM »

I remember that from living in the US, as Cael said, just sold in blocks here, I never really worry about how much when cooking, slice it off and use what feels right - that's cooking.

Margarine - no, never cook with it, it has a nasty tendency to burn too easily, I tend to pure butter or a mix of it and extra-virgin olive oil.

That said butter in Oz has sky-rocketed in price of late for some reason, being I only use it for cooking and really it's all pretty much the same I just buy the generic, in 500 gm blocks, but it's well over a dollar more than it was a year ago and I do shop carefully.

Ghee, clarified butter, which comes in a can, dunno if you have it in the US Jamie, it's unsalted and my mother swears by it for cooking, has had a similar price rise. I've never shared my mother's enthusiasm for it but it used to be the alternative as cooking butter, no point price-wise any more.

Crazy thing is good olive oil has been going DOWN in price and to my somewhat amazement I found perfectly acceptable good olive oil for cooking in a cask, like you'd buy wine, the other day, at a VERY low price.

Nice recipe btw, now Middy is not here I'll give it a go - Middy has a little problem with spicy food :)

Oh, the movie clip? Kinda notorious, just go to IMDB and look up Marlon Brando, you'll understand, there's a very personal story attached to that but I think I'll leave it out of a cooking thread :)

Cheers

Politically incorrect?  You betcha!!!  :-)

Offline McClean

• The token American
  • Big Kahuna
  • Ain't I pretty? ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 11:37:05 AM »

Butter here is relatively cheap. On sale, it's $2.50 per pound.

Olive oil is however a bit on the expensive side.

The movie clip is Last Tango in Paris. I've seen the film but I didn't click on the clip before because Logic posted it and well, enough said...

You should give that recipe a go. It's a bit on the spicy side but absolutely delicious.