Author Topic: Got me a new phone.  (Read 3570 times)

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
Re: Got me a new phone.
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2011, 07:55:50 PM »
 :)

That's kinda already there in settings on latest firmware - but I'll give it a go :)

Cheers

Politically incorrect?  You betcha!!!  :-)

Offline LordDread

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Eat da-shiang bao-tza shr duh lah doo-tze,dong ma?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2011, 08:28:56 PM »
shows a lot more then the phone will let you normaly, though i got an app that does that battery info.

Very cool but :p

Offline AccessDenied

• Custom Chrome Hardtail
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2011, 02:06:24 PM »
heheh.  Old topic, but just read through and thought I'd add 2c.

I'm amused by the *#*#64 whatever thing on Android

I just press system settings -> About phone.  VOILA!  All that info without messing about.

Nexus S running IceCream Sandwich.

Love my phone.  Does everything I need and more.  Even earns me money occasionally.  I can ssh into sites with it and often resolve issues whereever I am.  I get paid for my time doing that, and it's often only 5 minutes work.  Rather than having to drive to my home or work or site to do the work.  When you're on call, you're it...

It even dials out and receives calls.  :P

Capacitance touch screens are fun.  When they work, they work well.  When the don't..  Wellllllll...  I've found that golfers have a lot of troubles with the touchscreens in the proshop.  No problems for me and the staff.  Took a while to work it out.  Staff and I were wearing cotton shirts.  Golfers were wearing wool or synthetics.  This gave them quite a charge which was significant enough to mess around with touch screen responsiveness.  So, if your missus has a chronic static issue (Is she the kind of person that can generate power for a small house just by standing up?) then that's probably why she has troubles with capacitive touch screens.  Either fit her with an earthing strap or get a resistive touchscreen.

AD

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2011, 03:54:11 PM »

Katren became very frustrated by the Nokia, so went and found her an HTC ChaCha - had to unlock it but no biggee, suits her perfectly and cheap :)

It's actually a nice phone, fits the hand well, touch screen is only for basic mode switching, after that a nice responsive querty keyboard - old school, actually has keys :) Also have a 5 megapixel camera, but as Sam notes, hard to find a phone without one these days :)

Middy found some funny little sticks for a couple of bucks that do magic on touch screens as a sort of stylus, so all good :)

Cheers

Offline McClean

• The token American
  • Big Kahuna
  • Ain't I pretty? ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2011, 09:32:54 PM »
I'm still looking and thinking myself.

My phone is due for an upgrade, battery is being goofy and not worth the cost of replacing.

I'm not at all sure on a replacement though.

I've hated EVERY touchscreen device I've ever used, from ATMs, to POS terminals, to my other phone, which is a LG Optimus.

My last job, they did an "upgrade" to a touch screen system.

It also had a mouse.

One day, I got so fucking fed up with the magic touchscreen, I just started using the mouse.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 09:35:04 PM by McClean »
Where everything out here ain't what it seems
When I'm down to nothing, I just go ahead and dream
And face the fact that I'm a circle in a world full of squares

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2012, 10:37:33 AM »

With the huge take-up of tablets and "smart" phones (that aren't) I doubt we can avoid touch screens much longer.

I'll ask Middy where he's getting these little sticks from, they work great and were real cheap, some Hong Kong company as I recall.

Cheers

Offline LordDread

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Eat da-shiang bao-tza shr duh lah doo-tze,dong ma?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2012, 06:48:31 PM »
yeah i have no problem with my htc, screen works great, and normaly i do have trouble (well older tech now) with touch screen devices

Offline Midnighter

• Panhead
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2012, 10:15:06 PM »
Re: what Chris was talking about, http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Stylus-Touch-Screen-Pen-iPad-iPhone-4G-3GS-3G-B-/130568017226?pt=AU_MobilePhoneAccessories&hash=item1e6675d54a is what i left with Katren, and http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-5mm-Capacitive-Black-Mini-Stylus-Touch-Pen-Samsung-Galaxy-Ace-S5830-/180749424024?pt=AU_MobilePhoneAccessories&hash=item2a15815598  is what i got for myself. Also found http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Black-Capacitive-2-1-Stylus-Touch-Ball-Pen-Fr-Samsung-Galaxy-Note-N7000-i9220-/180774623291?pt=AU_MobilePhoneAccessories&hash=item2a1701d83b  that doubles a pen also if anyone is interested. :)

But my little bullet-sized stylus makes it so much easier when tapping out messages, as my fingers are thick enough that i seem to be tapping the wrong damn key half the time without it. :p
"I'm what soldiers dream of growing into. I'm what children see when they first imagine what death is like. I'm the Midnighter."

-Be yourself. If others don't like it, fuck em.