Author Topic: The hum of insanity  (Read 2039 times)

Offline GL0Bey

• Custom Chrome Hardtail
    • View Profile
The hum of insanity
« on: February 26, 2011, 04:45:17 PM »
Have you ever actually heard what insanity sounds like? I have!

Its my bloody PCs fans, and its driving me loopy.

Here's the story. My Nexus fan controller shit itself. Got a good 5 years out of it, so I can't complain there.

Jumped online and found an awesome little beast called the Scythe Kaze Master Pro fan controller.

Install was piss easy, PLUS its got temp censors which I place on the CPU and vid. 6 fans and 6 temps can be monitored.

I'm using 4 fans and 2 temp monitors.

After the install I sat back and watched the fan speeds and temp reading - beautiful!

Then  later that night, sitting quietly in my room I began to notice this peculiar hum. Its not a constant hum, its more a hmmmm hmmMMMMmmm hmmmm hmmMMMMmmm if you get my meaning :P

I CANNOT isolate this freakin hum! Its driving me insane.

I slow one fan down at a time. fan 1 = check, fan 2 = check, fan 3 = check and so on. Then the noise goes away. Ha ha! fan number 4, I got you now!

So I slow fan number 4 down and sit back, no noise. Beautiful. A few minutes pass and I can hear it again. WTF?

I check the readout, fan number 4 isn't spinning faster, its still the same RPM ....but I can hear this hum.

Back to playing with fan speeds again. Ha ha! its fan number 2, same as fan number 4, I slow it down, hum goes away, a few minutes pass and its back!

But wait there's more!

So playing around with fan speeds I up ALL the fan to full speed again. The noise GOES AWAY! Only to return a few minutes later.

Seeing as I have water cooling, with the pump constantly going, I can afford to stop ALL fans for a brief period to see if it is indeed the bloody fans I can hear humming.

Yup, it IS a bloody fan. Which one I can't figure out.

Its like a dripping bloody tap, the noise is embedded in my brain every time it starts up. Its eating away at my sanity I tells ya!

I never encountered this problem when my fans where hooked up to the Nexus controller. I've only noticed this with the new one.

I also noticed with this new controller that all my fans spin faster at full speed with the new controller, than they did with the old one.

Yup I have slowed all fans down to match noise levels of the old controller as best as possible. Yet this humming noise is still present.

And to make matter worse!

I checked each fan and guess what?

MADE IN BLOODY CHINA!

rofl

Offline Whiteglove

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Dragon Lady
    • View Profile
Re: The hum of insanity
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 05:02:55 PM »

They know how you feel and THEY are out to get you!
 rofl rofl rofl
We do not inherit this Earth from our ancestors - we borrow it from our grandchildren...

Native American proverb
http://www.dudeworld.com.au/images/whiteglove.tag.av.png

Offline LogicprObe

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 08:03:32 PM »

Might be the controller itself making the noise.
I bet that's made in China too!

Caelum

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 09:22:07 PM »
Disable the temperature sensors.

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 01:17:19 PM »
 :)

You "censor" your fans, man that's rad  rofl rofl rofl rofl

Cael has a point let the buggers run at constant rates, I used to, don't have a tower any more, but, best bet is a fan bearing and could be any of them, bastard to track down, think I have some that I no longer need, when I get this house move done will have a look.

Cheers
Politically incorrect?  You betcha!!!  :-)

Offline GL0Bey

• Custom Chrome Hardtail
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »
Oh shit! yeah guess who never went far in school ....

On the dog forums I made a comment that I liked their dogs fawn coat. Someone replied that its actually red. I reply back that's what I meant. Someone replies back that fawn is brown not red.

As long as I know what I mean in my own head, that's all that matters  :P

Finally got this business sorted.

Bit of a strange one this, and I'll probably make a knob of myself yet again, but this is my theory ...

The Level 10 PC case comes with two fans included. They have fawn, oops I mean red LEDs in them. When I ordered the case I also ordered a pair of Cooler Master  Excalibur 120mm fans for the water cooling radiator.

But after getting the case I kind of liked the red LED 120mm fan at the rear, and decided instead of ditching the red LED fan on the rear and replacing it with the Excalibur, I'd only use one Excalibur on the front side of the radiator, and leave the red LED on the back side as is.

My theory is the Excalibur fan and the generic red LED fan create different airflow's regardless of actual settings of fan speeds. Seeing as I have a water cooling radiator with 120mm fans on either side, creating a push-pull effect.

The unbalanced airflow between the two different fans through the radiator was causing an airflow disturbance. When researching for what fans to buy, I did see that different fans, regardless of size, ie. all 120mm designs, did in fact have different airflow ratings.

Having two 120mm fans in a push-pull configuration so close to each other was causing the annoying humming sound to emit from the case. Taking out the red LED fan and replacing it with an identical Excalibur fan, so there is now two 120mm Excalibur fans on the water cooling radiator, has solved the problem.

/awaits someone to come along and explain my theory is wrong and leaves me fawn faced ....  rofl     

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 04:08:12 PM »

No, that actually makes perfect sense, rather similar to why helicopters are so fucking noisy, especially ones with contra-rotating  rotors, although not exactly analogous:)

Good one mate, good logic :)

Oh, you probably know but the reason for different air-flow rates in fans is a bit speed related but has more to do with blade pitch, every manufacturer seems to have there own ideas on how to tune that for cooling versus noise.

One of these days someone who thinks about that is going to come up with a variable pitch fan..... Hmm... perhaps I could patent that ;)

Cheers

Offline SamboRoberts

• Big Kahuna
  • For the love of beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 06:10:50 PM »
One of these days someone who thinks about that is going to come up with a variable pitch fan..... Hmm... perhaps I could patent that ;)

Cheers

And then adapt it for use on aircraft. Now that would be cool.

Offline LogicprObe

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 06:30:41 PM »
It's a computer.............anything can happen!

The Noctua D14 uses a 120mm and a 140mm fan with no issue.

The fins are probably different on air coolers though.

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 06:39:46 PM »

Yeah, especially when you go after-market :)

I dunno Sam, let me think on that already is there on props, might, and I  stress might, be interesting on jets :)

Cheers

Offline fuknK1W1

• Panhead
  • Just dropping in...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 06:41:06 PM »
Chris you got a PM
Only a real goose can swallow the proper gander.

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 09:20:15 PM »
Chris you got a PM

:) Thanks mate, seen it, already actioned, best guess they are fine, but until I hear his voice I'll worry.....

Cheers