Author Topic: I'm not new  (Read 6071 times)

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
Re: I'm not new
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2011, 01:37:18 PM »
 :)

You say shrimp, we say prawns, the Brits often say scampi. Oz prawns are rather large, but no didn't cook them that way this time, happened to see a recipe from my favorite seafood restaurant in Adelaide, place called Stanley's. He had put it in a magazine so I thought I'd give it a go.

It was very different, lots of garlic, I've taken to using whole bulb garlic when I can get it, very nice slightly milder flavour. The prawns are marinaded first in white wine, garlic and salt, then that forms the basis of the sauce which is made with milk and cream and a little mustard and black pepper. It's quite a thin sauce, which is how I remember it at the restaurant. Then the prawns go into it and it is left to simmer, covered until they have cooked through, or you can use cooked prawns but the raw ones take up more of the marinade. Lastly some sharp Parmesan is stirred  through and it is ready to serve, with more cheese on top if desired.

We served it on saffron rice and it was absolutely delicious. :)

Cheers

Politically incorrect?  You betcha!!!  :-)

Offline McClean

• The token American
  • Big Kahuna
  • Ain't I pretty? ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2011, 02:09:29 PM »

Feel free to share the recipe.  :-*

I'm am however a bit confused by the reference to "whole bulb garlic" when you can get it.

In my world, the way you get whole garlic is you go to the store and buy it.

At my particular store, it's after the tropical type produce, next to the tomatoes and before you get to onions and potatoes.

Am I missing something there or am I just a spoiled child of the land of plenty?

Where everything out here ain't what it seems
When I'm down to nothing, I just go ahead and dream
And face the fact that I'm a circle in a world full of squares

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2011, 02:33:45 PM »

That pretty much is the recipe, 250ml of the wine, the cream and milk to your preference, I used a small carton of whole cream and about 250ml of skim milk, could have varied that either way and you can so the recipe says mix in some water if you want it thiner or it  can be thicked using cornflour or rice flour.

The rest, you know me and cooking quantities, if it looks right it probably is. :)

Whole bulb garlic. I can't speak for the rest of Australia but it is relatively recentyl here and not always available the places I shop. We usually have both it and cloved garlic around but one thing we have found with the whole bulb is that it doesn't keep particularly well. An awful lot of our garlic comes from Spain which I think is ridficulous but its good quality and cheap.

When we get back tp Leeming I'll get some and do what I do with shallots, peel, blanch and store under olive oil in the fridge. It will keep much longer that way, and produce good garlicky oil at the same time :)

Oh yeah, we're moving back, better pop up a thread :)

Cheers

Offline McClean

• The token American
  • Big Kahuna
  • Ain't I pretty? ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2011, 03:16:41 PM »

Okay. so yeah, I'm a spoiled child of the land of plenty.  :P

When I go to the store, my choice regarding garlic is, do I want to buy an individual bulb or a whole bag full of it?

Also, I have no issues with spoilage. On the contrary, I wish that all of my produce kept as well as garlic does.

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2011, 03:18:11 PM »

Yeah it's not just garlic either onions have been crap here of late.

Cheers

Offline McClean

• The token American
  • Big Kahuna
  • Ain't I pretty? ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2011, 03:32:51 PM »

I'm going to the store tomorrow.

If I remember, I'll take a phone pic of the selections for you.  :-*

Offline SamboRoberts

• Big Kahuna
  • For the love of beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2011, 03:37:10 PM »

That pretty much is the recipe, 250ml of the wine, the cream and milk to your preference, I used a small carton of whole cream and about 250ml of skim milk, could have varied that either way and you can so the recipe says mix in some water if you want it thiner or it  can be thicked using cornflour or rice flour.

The rest, you know me and cooking quantities, if it looks right it probably is. :)

Whole bulb garlic. I can't speak for the rest of Australia but it is relatively recentyl here and not always available the places I shop.
I've never noticed a lack of availability. Other than processed versions (crushed, etc), it's the only way I've seen it sold.

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2011, 03:39:21 PM »

Would be interesting but I know, lived in the US, remember? :)

Veg here unless you shop very carefully, and I usually don't buy it in supermarkets for that reason has been pretty indifferent for quite a while. Our meat on the other hand is better than most in the US. Not such a problem usually in our Eastern States but WA can be a challenge.

Cheers

Offline LordDread

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Eat da-shiang bao-tza shr duh lah doo-tze,dong ma?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2011, 09:03:22 PM »
yet another tick on the list of why WA is shit :p  rofl rofl rofl can get garlic any time here, and in all forms, as you can with good veg, not that i go for that shit :P

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2011, 06:52:19 AM »

Yeah, I know, wish we had a Vic markets here, but we don't :)

It's better down where my house is, be back there soon, northern suburbs has some good places but it tends to be full of poms who don't buy fresh much. I might be English by extraction but I've lived in Oz longer than I did in the UK now,  WA is great, but there is a reason why a lot of people, even locals call it "wait awhile." :)

Cheers

Offline LordDread

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2011, 11:27:04 AM »
lol im talken my local supermarket for the most part... a f&v shop... vic markets all the way in the city... 2 words for that trip... FUCK THAT  rofl rofl

Offline McClean

• The token American
  • Big Kahuna
  • Ain't I pretty? ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2011, 12:47:29 PM »

Would be interesting but I know, lived in the US, remember? :)

Cheers

Lousy pic. Phone camera to start with, a whitish vegetable, fluorescent lights, etc. but this would be an pic of how "hard" it is to find whole garlic here.  :-*

Offline Wallacey

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2011, 03:03:11 PM »
I can't think of any supermarket in our area that doesn't have whole garlic.

Bags of 10-15 are usually Chinese. (and therefore irradiated, will not sprout)
Single bulbs are usually locally grown and will generally sprout. (fresher)
Whatever

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2011, 03:43:24 PM »

Not SUCH a bad pic Jamie, our avocados are better than that though :)

WA is so variable with fresh stuff, called sand gropers for a reason , most of the fresh stuff, apart from potatoes actually comes from up north, or from over east or overseas.

With moving back to the house we plan to get some herb and veg growing, in planters, the difference genuinely is amazing, legacy of my dad, rarely bought veg, grew it, wish I'd inherited his green thumb, but I did get most of the rest of him :)

Cheers

Offline SamboRoberts

• Big Kahuna
  • For the love of beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2011, 05:16:18 PM »
I can't think of any supermarket in our area that doesn't have whole garlic.

Bags of 10-15 are usually Chinese. (and therefore irradiated, will not sprout)
Single bulbs are usually locally grown and will generally sprout. (fresher)
I saw some garlic the other day that had been imported from China, it had sprouts on it. Maybe they just told AQIS that it had been irradiated.

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2011, 05:22:53 PM »

Yeah, I''ve seen that,  Chinese quality control is still not exactly world standard.

I'm sure I've told the tale of the pink Hibachis ? :)

Cheers

Offline Whiteglove

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Dragon Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2011, 06:02:28 PM »
In Karratha (1500kms north of Perth) either type of garlic is available.

Noticed before Christmas that the Kiwifruit came from Italy!

We have a good range of fruit and veg but because it has to travel  from  Carnarvon to Perth then back to Karratha or from over East - 6000 kms - it does not stay fresh for long.
I shop for friut and veg every couple of days and  only buy small quantities.

Cheers
We do not inherit this Earth from our ancestors - we borrow it from our grandchildren...

Native American proverb
http://www.dudeworld.com.au/images/whiteglove.tag.av.png

Offline LordDread

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2011, 06:12:05 PM »
LOL yeah Wg, if you guys can get shit way out there, then Hm is going blind,as well as being an old age geriatric zimmer frame user :p

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2011, 10:43:44 PM »
LOL yeah Wg, if you guys can get shit way out there, then Hm is going blind,as well as being an old age geriatric zimmer frame user :p

Nah, it's just this local area I think, mostly poms, and yes I might have been one but been here far longer than there now, I can find it if I hunt around, but time is my poverty :)

I do not recall seeing it at all say ten years ago though.

Cheers

Offline GL0Bey

• Custom Chrome Hardtail
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2011, 04:58:28 PM »
One of the good things about living in Sunshine (Scumshine as it is often called) is the high migrant population.

People may say things about wogs and Asians, but they know FRESH! and expect nothing less. We have an abundant supply of fresh produce not 5 minutes away.

You name it, its fresh and of the highest quality. Never try and sell migrants dodgy produce, you'll go broke and out of business quick smart.

LOL half the places we shop, half the produce is still alive, in tanks, cages and so on. It don't get any fresher than that  :D

Really its the little things. Take mint for example. Go to Safeway and buy a small bunch of mint. Smell it, taste it. You'd be thinking yeah that's mint.

Then go to the local shops around here and buy mint. You can SMELL the mint as soon as you walk in. You can smell it in the car, and in the kitchen when you come home. Now THAT'S mint.

If it wasn't for toilet paper, toothpaste and detergent, I wouldn't give Safeway, Coles or any of those big chains a red penny. We haven't purchased fruit, veg, meat, bread and so on from the big chains in years.  Never will either.

Down here at the wog/asian markets with just a $50, you can walk out with a weeks fruit and veg easy. WITH service. Its lively, loud and the whole experience is great. They get to know you and to keep a loyal customer they look after you.

You can learn about fruit and veg you've never tried too. Tips on how to cook it, eat it, usually they'll give you one or two for free to let you try it. A foodies paradise  ;ao

Offline Whiteglove

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Dragon Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2011, 05:26:53 PM »
A definite advantage to living in Melbourne.

Here in Karratha we have  - Woolworths and Coles. No vegie shops or meat shops. Everything comes from elsewhere. Minimum 16hours in a truck from Perth.

Or almost a week from over east.

We have the local fisheries truck in town on a Saturday - but it is all frozen.

Today The Outback Butcher started selling from his truck as well.

Not many choices.  If the Highway is cut by floods add at least another 4 hours to the journey.

We had a couple of hundred Mangoes in November - freshly picked from the tree in our back yard - by the Corellas. They just shook them and one morning there was a hundred on the ground.

They continued to do this for a couple of days - they ate a couple - but I put them in the bathroom (not airconditioned) and they ripened. By the weekend I picked the remaining ones.

Delicious.

I froze lots and they made many smoothies up until January.  Very few mangoes in the shops this season and not many other people in Karratha had good crops either.

Cheers
We do not inherit this Earth from our ancestors - we borrow it from our grandchildren...

Native American proverb
http://www.dudeworld.com.au/images/whiteglove.tag.av.png

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2011, 07:14:04 PM »

Perth is... variable... nothing really like the shopping expeditions you and I have been on together Globey, but there is not a vast amount near me.

Freo markets are great, and only maybe 25 minutes away from the house, over an hour from here, which is a bit much for shopping, especially on Perth roads....

i'll give you an example - we had a great little Asian deli in the local small centre, bought lots there, closed up.

To get to the good stuff in Perth from where I am is a bit of a chore, Albany highway has some good places, Northbridge, if you don't mind fuckwits, the CBD is friggin hopeless.

Perth's real problem is a dominance of large shopping malls, I hate the things but there is little choice sometimes.

Saturday markets at Canning Vale are great, but really you need a collective to make it worthwhile, might get one started again.

Cheers

Offline LogicprObe

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2011, 09:13:47 PM »

Australian garlic is fairly hard to come by in Sydney.

The joint is flooded with Chinese shit.

You have to use 10 times as much for the same flavour!

Must be the fumigation..............

Offline Stu.Mills

• Flathead
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2011, 07:55:02 PM »
Hey globe its been a long time. Hope all is well.

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2011, 10:59:52 PM »

So far as I know Globey is fine, not  spoken in a week or so, but he and missus and pets are fine :)

I just discovered some WA Garlic sauce, all natural, think it's new, tried it last night, bloody unreal, send you a bottle Logic if you like :)

Cheers