Author Topic: New Stuff.  (Read 5536 times)

Offline SamboRoberts

• Big Kahuna
  • For the love of beer!
    • View Profile
New Stuff.
« on: January 15, 2011, 01:58:46 PM »
Got me a couple of new 2TB HDDs recently, as well as a legit version of Win 7. I originally installed the HDDs in an older PC (older than my main one, which is a few years old now) with a not so legit version of Windows XP. Could get it to install alright, but had all sorts of problems with usability. So I tried to install Win 7 on that PC, but couldn't get the USB mouse to work and I don't have any PC2 mouses.

So...Put the HDDs in my main PC, installed Win 7. About three times due to fucking up the drive partitions. Everything seems to be working okay so far, but I still have to copy about 300GB of files to Drive 0, delete partitions on Drive 1, format Drive 1, then copy those files from Drive 0 back to Drive 1.

There are a couple of annoyances, tho'.
1. The biggest annoyance is that there are no sound drivers for my motherboard for Win 7.
2. Win 7 doesn't support Outlook Express, which I've been using for about the last 8 years for my email client.

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
Re: New Stuff.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 02:38:35 PM »
 :)

Actually it's one time I'll give MS credit - they replaced Express with Windows Live which is a free download, get it, it's really rather good.

Sound drivers?

What board? They are usually not TOO fussy, can get away with older drivers.

Cheers

Politically incorrect?  You betcha!!!  :-)

Offline SamboRoberts

• Big Kahuna
  • For the love of beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 02:54:43 PM »
Asus A8S-X. I've already tried the WinXP drivers, they won't install. I'm just about to try the Vista drivers.

As for an email client, I've got Office 2010 here, I'll just use Outlook.

Oh, wait...I won't be able to do that until I can access my old emails for the serial key.  ;zn
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 02:58:58 PM by Sambo »

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 03:51:59 PM »

Typical IT catch 22 :)

Import your mail and you should be fine, so should the Vista drivers, memory says there is a note somewhere on the Asus site that says that.

Um, wait, serial number for what?

I'm sure you know, but remember the MS mantra, if it get's frustrating re-boot... a lot of their stuff installs but does not run until you restart and you do not always get told that....

Cheers

Offline SamboRoberts

• Big Kahuna
  • For the love of beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 04:19:40 PM »
Sorry, serial key for Office 2010.

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 04:35:54 PM »

Can PM you a temporary one to get it going if it helps :)

Cheers

Offline SamboRoberts

• Big Kahuna
  • For the love of beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 05:21:58 PM »
Nah, it's fine, mate. I've got Live Mail happening, imported all my emails, got the key, and am now installing Office 2010.

I've ordered a USB sound dongle from eBay for a whole dollar (including postage), which will be fine to run my 2ch speakers from. It just means that I won't be able to use my USB headset, is all.

Time to save up for a motherboard/CPU/RAM upgrade I think. As well as the problems outlined here, this mobo only has two SATA ports, which is an issue. I've got a pair of 500GB HDDs and a 1TB HDD that will be sitting here doing fuckall until I can get a better mobo.

Offline LordDread

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Eat da-shiang bao-tza shr duh lah doo-tze,dong ma?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 06:24:16 PM »
yeah sounds like an old mobo that one.

Offline SamboRoberts

• Big Kahuna
  • For the love of beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 06:28:25 PM »
It's not that old, it has SATA ports!

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 07:15:47 PM »

USB hubs are the salvation, I splashed out last year and got a Targus, not the cheapest, but it rocks :)

Cheers

Offline SamboRoberts

• Big Kahuna
  • For the love of beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 07:21:11 PM »
I've got 4 ports on the back, 3 on the front and 2 x 4 port hubs. I'm not sure of USB ports ATM. I can fit all my data on the 2 x 2TB HDDs, but I'd really like to be able to make use of at least another HDD without having to worry about adding cards or hubs.

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 08:40:59 PM »
Hmm,

Active or passive hubs?

Passive's give me the shits, USB peripherals keep needing more power and 500ma doesn't cut it, and yeah, they still draw it even if it is a powered device you are plugging in..

Be careful also of what the ports actually provide, some only deliver power, no data feeds, the reason why I went the Targus, it tells me, very clearly, what ports are for what.

I may be late to the party on that one but laptop suppliers have adopted a defacto standard, left side power only, right side full service.

There's only so much current on the mobo after all , otherwise it would fry itself ::)

Cheers

Offline SamboRoberts

• Big Kahuna
  • For the love of beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 08:45:26 PM »
Hmm,

Active or passive hubs?
Passive, but it doesn't matter. I've only got one device that needs 500mA (and that's from the back of the mobo anyway), the rest are all things like cameras, keyboards, a mouse and thumb drives. USB ports aren't really the problem, it's the lack of SATA ports on this mobo that's a problem.

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 06:44:42 AM »
Ah,

Yeah that can be annoying.

Cheers

Offline SamboRoberts

• Big Kahuna
  • For the love of beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 07:15:40 AM »
Ah,

Yeah that can be annoying.

Cheers
That and the lack of drivers for the integrated sound is pushing me towards upgrading the mobo/CPU/RAM. With another two ports, I've got another 1.5TB of storage available. And with a download quota of 500GB/mth, that shit could come in damn handy.

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2011, 08:32:50 AM »
Hmm,

Now's a good time, pretty good boards out there very cheap, only problem, same as always, is whatever you get will be obsolete very quickly as the new CPUs appear this year.

Still, for most home users that's no longer really the problem it was, the leapfrogging of software demands over hardware capability is no longer much of a problem.

I was amused yesterday, had to go find an external optical drive for the business, installing some very expensive test servers on loan today, HP and SGI, neither of them has an optical drive - bit crazy really still LG had a neat external burner for $159 so problem solved. Whilst I was looking for it I kept having to advise Saturday shoppers to not mess around with any drives below 1TB, the price difference is just not worth it. Of course they all said they didn't know if they would ever need 1TB, to which the response was we used to think that when drives hit 200GB :)

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 08:34:25 AM by Hardman »

Offline SamboRoberts

• Big Kahuna
  • For the love of beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 08:35:13 AM »
With a spare PC here, I'm thinking of mucking around with FreeNAS, that'd give me 2TB of networked storage.

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011, 08:38:39 AM »
Not such a bad idea. FreeNAS works fine.

Going to do something similar here later in the year, I don't download much but Katren does, podcasts and the like.

Cheers

Offline SamboRoberts

• Big Kahuna
  • For the love of beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2011, 08:44:37 AM »
I've got everything I need.

8GB CF card with IDE adapter.
4 port SATA card.
320GB HDD.
2 x 500GB HDD
1TB HDD.
CPU
Mobo
1.5GB RAM.
PCI-E gfx card.
monitor (dodgy, but works).

Then again, I might even just muck around with another distro and use that for watching my vids, the monitor is on the same desk as my main PC.

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2011, 08:47:56 AM »
Yeah, well, monitors are cheap as well, treated myself to a beautiful AOC couple of weeks ago, wide-screen 23.6", about as big as my desk can handle. :)

Cheers

Offline SamboRoberts

• Big Kahuna
  • For the love of beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2011, 08:51:14 AM »
I bought a 22" widescreen about (shit!) 4+ years ago now (I brought it Canberra with me!), it's going great. I did also have a 17" sitting alongside it, but it stopped working. Haven't worked out yet if it was power, the monitor itself, or the gfx card. I do miss the dual monitor setup, I might look into that today as well. I would like to get myself a new matching pair of widescreen monitors, but I've got bigger and better plans for my money at this stage.

Offline Hardman

• Big Kahuna
  • Single Malt Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2011, 08:54:39 AM »

I'm totally on laptops now so just dual screen between lappie and the AOC, works fine.

Gotta go install these servers, be back later.

Cheers

Offline SamboRoberts

• Big Kahuna
  • For the love of beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2011, 01:36:57 PM »
I now have Freenas (mostly) set up. All I need to do now is empty my 1TB drive and chuck that in.

Offline LordDread

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Eat da-shiang bao-tza shr duh lah doo-tze,dong ma?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2011, 02:35:50 PM »
lol it has to be old smabo, does it have pci-e :P .. mines over 6 yr old and has pci-e v1,.1 .. which sucks.. but it has 6 internal sata, 2 redundant ide channels, 4 usb rear 2 front, and 3x4 int expandable.... 4x sata seems to be the min for a fair while now, unless u go hunting a small form mobo :p, than and the fact windows7 didnt have drives for it, it had all drives for this mobo, also for an older system that didnt even have sata , that or yours is just some weird brand.  ;qo

Offline SamboRoberts

• Big Kahuna
  • For the love of beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2011, 03:41:49 PM »
lol it has to be old smabo, does it have pci-e
Yep, it does. Running a Geforce 8600 in it ATM.

that or yours is just some weird brand.  ;qo
yeah, it's the first time I've come across this Asus mob, does anyone know anything about them? ::i