Author Topic: Work shit, Anglesea Power Station, VIC  (Read 3497 times)

Offline ICEMAN

• Boneheads
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
Work shit, Anglesea Power Station, VIC
« on: September 10, 2009, 07:22:19 PM »
Just a few snaps of a job I done on the weekend at Alcoa's Anglesea Powerstation here in the Big V. Its a single boiler unit which supplies Alcoa's Point Henry ally smelter. 

Bit of info here http://www.alcoa.com/australia/en/info_page/anglesea_overview.asp

Hacking the busted economiser wall tubes out. What we've done is removed the damaged section, but as we cant weld in a straight replacement, we've put in a bypass tube, one for the left side of the element bank, one for the right side, so effectively its cutting the bank down by 50%.

The existing tubes cleaned up and ready for the bypass tubes.

One of the boys, BK, lining the new bypass tube up for myself and my welding partner below in the next bank.

Robbo (welding mate) doing the bottom weld.

First weld done, 3 more to go.

BK doing the top weld with the rigger/TA sittin on his arse.

Some handsome young bloke doing the bottom weld on the second bypass tube  :D

Offline Wallacey

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
Re: Work shit, Anglesea Power Station, VIC
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 08:42:20 PM »
Nice pics, looks like one of those dirty jobs :whistling:

I noticed the gloves you're wearing, what do you think of them?

I've had a pair for about 9 months now,(we don't do nonstop tig, other gloves for mig).

Why is BK holding the tig torch while eyeing a pipe for cutting?
Whatever

Offline Richo

• Big Kahuna
  • Fast, Cheap, Light...pick any two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 08:49:25 PM »

Great photos mate, thanks for sharing them.

The maintenance work looks pretty similar to just about every heavy industry I've ever worked in... same shit different smell.... is that your impression also ?
Work Hard, Play Hard, Stay Hard

Meet my little Baby

Offline ICEMAN

• Boneheads
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 10:07:25 PM »
Wallacey, I find those gloves are good for a few months, but grinding tends to fuck the stitching in them resulting in holes between the fingers, other than that they are pretty good, as long as you get the gauntlet type ones, being longer they cover the open part on your shirt sleeves so you dont get arc burn on your wrists.unlike the shorter glove type ones.  I have some Flashmaster ones which are they best  for TIG welding, very soft, good for fine work but they tend to wear quickly on the heavier welding jobs.

No idea why BK is holding the torch, possibly to stop it being knocked onto a tube bank, which is all we're sitting on.

Richo, the maintenance side is pretty standard since the government flogged all the powerstations off, very lacking. My old man worked on the Loy Yang A/B, Yallourn W projects when they were being built 30 years ago, been hearing all about how things were different back in the SEC days, regular shutdowns for boiler/turbine longevity, ect. Everything these days, being privatized, tends to be flogged out until something blows, then its a big rush to patch it up.  Keeps me in a job though. :)

Offline Richo

• Big Kahuna
  • Fast, Cheap, Light...pick any two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 12:14:18 AM »

Mate I remember the old preventative maintenance days too.. last time I can remember them in full swing with regular down days etc  was sometime around 1996... everywhere just went to contract labour and the run it till its totally fucked mentality. Shame.

Things went vastly smoother with full scale PM and skilled in-house maintenance teams.

I miss those days... production stopping breakdowns were a rare occurrence indeed.
Work Hard, Play Hard, Stay Hard

Meet my little Baby