Author Topic: Spaghetti sauce from scratch.  (Read 907 times)

Offline McClean

• The token American
  • Big Kahuna
  • Ain't I pretty? ;)
    • View Profile
Spaghetti sauce from scratch.
« on: March 02, 2008, 03:46:41 PM »
 :)

This is a recipe I've had for years. Somebody gave it to my mother. Over time, I've played around with it and it's evolved into a dish that I really like.

Ingredients

2 pounds ground chuck; 1 onion, chopped; 1 green pepper, chopped; 6 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced; 14 ounce can large black olives, sliced and drained; 1 dozen slices of pepperoni,  14 ounce can diced tomatoes; 8 ounce can tomato sauce; 6 ounce can tomato paste; 1/2 cup red wine; 1 teaspoon basil; 1/2 teaspoon salt; 1/2 teaspoon pepper; 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder.

Directions

1- Cook onion in oil until tender, add ground chuck and cook until done. Drain meat and return to skillet.

2- Combine remaining ingredients and simmer for about 15 minutes. Serve over spaghetti.

BTW....

On the pepperoni, I tear it into small pieces, rather than leaving it whole. Something else, the salt is something that's very much to taste. I always buy unsalted tomatoes, tomato sauce, etc. so that I can add salt depending on what I'm making. If you use ingredients that already have salt in them, then I wouldn't add any more salt.

Also, some times, I toss in a half teaspoon of oregano or of thyme, just depending on my mood.
Where everything out here ain't what it seems
When I'm down to nothing, I just go ahead and dream
And face the fact that I'm a circle in a world full of squares