Author Topic: Around the world in 80 beers.  (Read 4360 times)

LordDread

Re: Around the world in 80 beers.
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2007, 04:26:48 PM »
you can review them, dont see why not, there both imports here, and what one would call a "premium" beer... hell they charge enough for em :P

Caelum

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2007, 06:22:15 PM »
[size=14]James Squire Pilsener[/size]

Price:  $19.90  7/10  (A little more than your average, but you know you're buying better than your average beer)
Bling:  8/10  (Nice solid packaging, easy to transport from the bottle-o to your home/car; Nice, simple, rustic and classy labels on the bottles)
Taste;  

Beer 1; Sharp and bitter, followed very closely by some fruity flavours that hang around on the palette.
Beer 2: Much the same all over again, not getting any less sharp, as some beers can tend to do. Really helping with the heat of Western Australia(come on... i AM Tasmanian....)
Beer 3;       Even the dregs of the last beer tasted great. Third beer in, and the flavours just keep coming - one thing about this beer, it is hard to stop appreciating it, although at 5%, it can creep up on you over the other 4-4.5% beers...

Alcohol Content: 5%  1.4 standard drinks, 345mL

[size=14]Review: [/size]

1. Name;

James Squire Pilsener

2. Brewed by;

Malt Shovel Brewery

3. From;

Camperdown, NSW, Australia.

4. Style:

Lager/Pilsener.

5. History/Info;

The Malting Shovel

James opened the "The Malting Shovel" Tavern on the shores of Parramatta River, in the Eastern Farm district of Kissing Point which is almost halfway between Sydney town and Parramatta. It was the ideal location to entice thirsty passengers from vessels along this busy thoroughfare. Surviving records located in the State Records of New South Wales, show that, on September 19 1798, there was a general meeting held at the Judge Advocates office in the presence of Judge Advocate William Balmain esquire. At this meeting, James (amongst others, including Simeon Lord) had obtained his Excellency's permission to be licensed for the sale of spirituous liquors at The Malting Shovel. This license cost him a princely sum of [ch8356]5. The license was renewed for a further [ch8356]5 in September of 1799. Simeon Lord countersigned as surety. Licenses to brew or sell liquor were required to be renewed every year.

James Squire died at the age of 68 in 1822.

James' legacy

From 1823, Squire's brewery continued to successfully operate under control of his son James, producing about 100 000 gallons a year, until his death in 1826. James Squire's daughter, Mary Ann married Thomas Charles Farnell of Kissing Point on March 30, 1824. On June 25, 1825, Mary gave birth to James Squire Farnell. In 1828 the brewery was briefly re-opened by his daughter Mary Ann's husband, Thomas Farnell, until his ill health forced the brewery to close in 1834. In 1877, James' grandson, James Squire Farnell, became the first Australian Premier of New South Wales.

1999 sees the rebirth of the James Squire name with Lion Nathan renaming the previously purchased Hahn Brewery as the Malt Shovel Brewery in honour of Australia’s first commercial brewer.

6. Personal opinion of flavour.

The flavour of this beer really does command respect. You have no choice - you'll either love it or hate it. Sharp, bitter, and slightly fruity(although not to the level of the "Mountain Goat Pale" beer by another brewer) this has always been a personal favourite, topped only by Squire's own IPA, India Pale Ale, which is rather similar to the Pilsener, but with even more hops again - quite a strongly flavoured beer.

7. Would you buy it again. Why / Why Not.

Absolutely. One of the top Australian beers, without a doubt. Clean, refreshing, yet somehow very fulfilling. A winner.

8. Extras

Some excerpts from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Squire

Pictures:

Links to all images: http://caelum.com.au/JSPilsener/

Final notes:

Drink this beer cold. It MUST be cold - colder the better(same goes for the IPA mentioned). It really has some great flavours developing when drink almost icy - throw it in the freezer 30 minutes before drinking.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 06:28:42 PM by Caelum »

thatp1g

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2007, 06:30:40 PM »
Ripper review mate, will have to give some of them a chop soon.  

Hardman

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2007, 07:32:45 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Wonder if I could fit a Jamie on a Weber?   :) :) :) :)

Prolly cook different, but, nobody ever complains here... :-) (Well, you know, cadavers are good fertilizer... :-) )

Having pasta tonight, there's a degree of drool around the place as it cooks off :-)

I didn't know there was a Tas stout Cael, must try :-)

I think we need to find a way to send Jamie some Little Creatures though, that Euro crap has rotted his brain :-)

Cheers

Caelum

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2007, 07:36:06 PM »
maybe, as a result of the findings from this thread, send a couple of each of the top beers, as a sampler pack....

convince the old boy to come down to aus for some real beer....

Hardman

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2007, 08:02:45 PM »
 :)

I'll get him here eventually, and probably regret it .... :-)

Cheers

(Fortunsately he does understand my sense of humour, which is... bent... ;D ;D ;D )

Caelum

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2007, 08:10:22 PM »
bent? you?

i can't believe it!

Hardman

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2007, 08:16:57 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Well... not that way... but, sense of humour took a left a long time ago.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

(You ok mate?  :) )

Cheers

LordDread

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2007, 08:54:24 PM »
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Well... not that way... but, sense of humour took a left a long time ago.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

(You ok mate?  :) )

Cheers

that explains a lot.. you DO know it went right ay???  ;D

Hardman

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2007, 09:03:54 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

God will get you for that Willis.....

Oh, hang on, no God, and your name is not Willis... somebody get me drawing board.....

(You see? it went left  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D )

Cheers

cleanfun4all

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2007, 03:29:15 AM »

Next time I'm at the grocery store, I'll have a look and see what's available in the way of Oz beers.

I was actually at the liquor store last night, but among the many brilliant alcohol laws that we have here, is one that says liquor stores can sell wine and distilled spirits, but they can't sell beer. Conversely, grocery stores can sell beer, but they can't sell wine.  :(

Hardman

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2007, 03:55:46 AM »

Well, any place that makes bourbon in a dry county is hardly normal.... ;-)

Dunno what you will find in the way of Oz beers in the US, as alluded to in someone else's post, the rest of the world thinks we all drink Fosters (which, icy cold on Bugie Street in Singapore from a huge can that you cannot buy in Oz is ok, otherwise it''s just piss ;-) )

An incomplete list would be:

XXXX (Qld)
Coopers (SA)
VB (Vic)
Fosters (NSW)
Redback (WA)
Cascade (Tas)
West End (SA)
Southwark (SA)
Tooheys (NSW)
Little Creatures (WA)
Boags (Tas)

Someone else can add more, I don't really drink any of them much, prefer Guinnness :-)

Apart from Fosters I've seen very few of them exported, as I noted before it took a long while for them to even cross state borders, Aussies tend to drink it too fast :-)

Cheers

cleanfun4all

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2007, 04:25:44 AM »
*Looks at Hardman. Looks at clock. Looks at Hardman again.*

Shouldn't you still be in bed?

Our weird alcohol laws are largely a legacy or prohibition. When federal prohibition was repealed, the issue returned to the states.

Tennessee initially remained dry, then local governments were given the power to decide whether to allow beer sales. Local control over distilled spirits came much later and still under state control. You have to have a state license to see liquor in any form. Even a waitress serving mixed drinks has to have a state license to do so. Beer, on the other hand, is regulated almost entirely on the local level.

No, I don't think there's much Oz beer available in the US, other than Fosters. The Fosters marketing people have been quite successful at convincing people that everyone in Oz drinks Fosters. To be honest, I thought that myself, until I found my way to the green place.

That's okay though, they all think Americans are Imperialistic war mongers and we have running gunfights in the streets on a daily basis. So, the misconceptions cut both ways.  ;)

Anyway, I don't think there's much Oz beer sold here, but I didn't realize how much Oz wine was available until I looked for it and so, we shall see.

There's a difference though. Grocery stores typically don't make money directly from beer sales. Rather, the beer companies pay them to lease the floor space. An example of this, every summer, at the grocery store I usually go to, there's a Corona display in the produce department. Right next to the limes.  :-*

On the other hand, liquor stores make a lot of money off of wine. Far more percentage wise than they do distilled spirits. An example of this, a few years ago, the owner of the liquor store I frequent, doubled the size of the store. Not one inch of that new space went to distilled spirits. It's entirely wine.

Hardman

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2007, 09:57:47 AM »

Insomnia, cat's door-knocking and a kid with disrupted sleep routines courtesy of cable.... All led to my being awake at 2am....

I was reading about prohibition just the other day - what a cluster-fuck that was :-)

I don't really recall, apart from as I said in Singapore, the last time I saw anyone drinking Fosters, me especially included, although, over howls of Knuck protest I must admit that icy cold there's not much wrong with it - it's reputation was simply destroyed locally by Paul Hogan :-)

Probably the best of Australian beers is the Coopers range, and they even do a stout :-), although Little Creatures is coming in strong as a new brand.

Beer doesn't seem to get exported anywhere near as much as wine, which is bemusing considering how much beer we drink and how much of it is imported here these days, but, you might find some Taswegian ones, those breweries have their act together.

BTW, if you like Oz wine it might pay to stock up a little, the grape glut is over and prices will be rising :-)

Cheers

Whiteglove

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2007, 11:15:09 AM »

Not much of a beer drinker but occasionally I enjoy James Squire's India Pale Ale.  See Caelum's review for more details of James Squire's beers. When Chris was in Sydney earlier this year we enjoyed dinner and beer at the James Squire Brewery.  I actually consumed 2 IPAs - still not enough to review it according to the rules... ;D ;D ;D

Cheers   :)  

Caelum

« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2007, 11:25:29 AM »
I have to admit to spending a few long nights in the copperpot brewery in melbourne too... drinking many a squire's....

you get some really interesting beers on tap there, that you just never see bottled.

Hardman

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2007, 12:49:38 PM »

We shall have to have a meet at either Fenians, Little Creatures, or The Belgian...

Much beer sampling to be had.... :-)

That was a good night WG... :-)

The boss even remembers it :-)

Cheers

Caelum

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2007, 12:57:31 PM »

We shall have to have a meet at either Fenians, Little Creatures, or The Belgian...

Much beer sampling to be had.... :-)

That was a good night WG... :-)

The boss even remembers it :-)

Cheers

Well you know i'm keen! ;o)

Hardman

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2007, 01:00:30 PM »

Didn't even need to ask ;-)

Cheers

Caelum

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2007, 08:56:25 PM »
[size=14]Little Creatures Pale Ale[/size]

Price:  $18.00  7/10  (More than your normal cheapo beer, but again you're not paying for a beer to get drunk on(only) but one you can really appreciate.)
Bling:  6/10  (Nothing really special about the packaging, or even the labels on the bottles - but it is fairly easy to spot in the fridge at the bottle-o. Not convinced about their corporate branding being that of a cherub... )
Taste;  

Beer 1; Slightly floral and malty tastes, are finished off with some spicy hops flavours which stop it from being a right poofs beer... Only issue i found was that my glass was too small, as can be seen in the photo!
Beer 2: Fresh beer, fresh flavours - again fairly light, finished with a crack of the whip from some strong hops.
Beer 3;       Closely following beer 2, is the third. Malt has dropped away a little, but the floral flavours still hang around. Yep, still not gay. Big hops comes in at the last minute. Great flavours still. I can see this continuing all night.

Alcohol Content: 5.2%  1.4 standard drinks, 330mL

[size=14]Review: [/size]

1. Name;

Little Creatures, Pale Ale.

2. Brewed by;

Little Creatures Brewing Pty Ltd

3. From;

Fremantle, Western Australia

4. Style:

Lagered Hopped Ale(so really just a lager!)

5. History/Info;

The Beer

Little Creatures was born to make a pale ale…a specific style of pale ale, a style that we are absolutely passionate about and one that we believe displays great balance of flavour and refreshment…complex yet highly drinkable.

The beer's character is driven by the use of fresh whole hop flowers. Hop Flowers are carefully selected that are bursting with aroma and contain all the essential oils and acids that deliver an unique flavour experience. Drink a few pints of this beer and you'll soon become one of us…a certified "hophead" craving those crisp, citrus flavours of grapefruit and passionfruit and a bit of honey, all backed up with a good balance of bitterness.

The Brewery

Little Creatures Brewery is set inside a massive converted boat shed right on Fishing Boat Harbour in Fremantle. Within the brewery itself is our "cellar door" bar and restaurant, perfect for hopheads needing that super fresh pale ale hit! The brewery is totally open and visible to the cellar door and the beer is poured straight from the conditioning tanks...beer doesn't get much fresher than this!

http://littlecreatures.com.au/barfood/log.html

6. Personal opinion of flavour.

Nicely rounded malt, surrounded by many subtle flavours put this beer onto a good start. Followed by some spicy hops, and lingering malt, this beer is definitely fulfilling. It has a touch of that 'homebrew' flavour about it... something that lets you know that it was made by hand, not en-mass. You could drink this all night, and the only signs of it affecting you would be ending up on the floor after attempting to stand. Fantastic beer.

7. Would you buy it again. Why / Why Not.

Yes, yes, yes! Either from the bottle(also available as a pint-bottle), or out of the tap, this beer never fails to live up to your last tasting. If you see it out in the shops, buy it.

8. Extras

http://littlecreatures.com.au/

http://www.pintzilla.com/pintzilla.html (advert for the pint sized bottle)

http://www.littlecreatures.com.au/pipsqueak/home.html (they also make a cider)

Pictures:

The only problem with a large glass... there just never seems enough beer to fill it! Must try a pint bottle next time ;)

cleanfun4all

« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2007, 07:28:15 AM »

So what do Aussies drink when they come to the US?

I'm wondering since I looked at three different stores and found nothing in the way of Oz beer. In fact, I wasn't even able to find any Fosters. Which is odd, because that I have drank before.

I did hit on something I can review though. Whiteglove recently posted a picture of a Christmas tree made out of Grolsch bottles.

That got me to thinking, I've never had Grolsch before and I know it's available in Oz and so, I got a six pack of  Premium Pilsner.

I may, um, "review" that tonight.  :-X

Oh and Caelum, if you ever make it to the US, I introduce you to my barber. She only charges $16 for a cut. Although, she might charge double for THAT.  ;D ;D ;D

Hardman

« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2007, 01:34:41 PM »

Coors usually, Moose if I can find it....

:-)

Cheers

Caelum

« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2007, 01:39:53 PM »
Oh and Caelum, if you ever make it to the US, I introduce you to my barber. She only charges $16 for a cut. Although, she might charge double for THAT.  ;D ;D ;D

I'm actually going to start riding(pushy) again soon, so i'm VERY tempted to take it all off... get a bit of airflow on the hot days down here ;o)