Author Topic: Around the world in 80 beers.  (Read 4361 times)

thatp1g

Around the world in 80 beers.
« on: December 18, 2007, 08:14:42 PM »
Gents, I think it's been tried before but was hoping to extend my personal knowledge and tastes and maybe kick off a bit of a thing for the Knuck.  

In the interests of science only (no personal gratification involved) I propose we take a trip around the world Beer Style.  

Each knuck participating is to test drive one flavour of Australian or International beer each month and post a review of it in this thread.  

To make things a bit simpler so that everyone is able to participate I am proposing a few guidelines.  

Firstly, no qualifications or beery knowledge is required.

Secondly, a minimum of six of whatever brand of beer you are test driving shall be tested.

Thirdly, two people in your household shall sample the beer and rate it using the following table.

In the table each measurement is out of 10.  
For the purpose of standards, a Carlton Midstrength stubbie is a 5.
(most of us have tasted a Carlton Midstrength and I consider it a run of the mill ordinary old quite acceptable beer.)

Price:  $figure and then 1-10
Bling:  Packageing 1-10 Did you feel like you were buying a decent beer. Wank value.
Taste;  Personal preference.  1-10 with midstrength as a '5'.
Beer 1; Taster1:                                                                             Taster2;
Beer 2: Taster1:                                                                             Taster2;
Beer 3; Taster1:                                                                             Taster2;
Alcohol Content: % and standard drinks

Review: (to be completed by one or both in collaboration of the taste testers)
1. Name of beer.
2. Brewed by.
3. From which country.
4. Style of beer.
5. Any history, manufacturing or other easily gleaned from the internet information relating to the brand of beer. At the very least a link to the brewers website if possible.
6. Personal opinion of flavour.
7. Would you buy it again. Why / Why Not.
8. Above is a minimum. rest is up to you.

And finally two pictures.  
1. A picture of the beer.
2. A picture of you and your taste dummy friend drinking the beer.

Further thoughts.  
Each member shall try and test a different beer.  I'll keep track of them in this opening post.
If you strongly disagree with another members ratings then you are encouraged to say so but you must follow up with a second opinion review of the same beer yourself.  Ie - go and buy six, get a friend and review them yourself with one or two midstrengths as reference.

REVIEWS:
1. Cowgirl and p1g;             James Boag Premium Lager.     This page.
2. Caelum;                         James Squire Pilsener               Page two of this topic.

To kick things off, Cowgirl and I are reviewing the following this evening.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 06:39:48 PM by thatp1g »

LordDread

Re: Around the world in 80 beers.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 08:22:18 PM »
i would but i dont really do beer :P... and no.. i have nfi what a carlton midstrength tastes like  ;D carlton draught and cold yes ... if it aint full strength or free it aint worth it  ;D ;D ;D

Very cool idea but :)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 08:22:41 PM by LordDread »

Cowgirl

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 09:48:37 PM »
Well you know I'm in but there is no way in hell I'm trying (ever again) XXXX.

thatp1g

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 09:51:48 PM »
[size=14]James Boag Premium[/size]

Price:  $16.50  4/10  (pretty standard for a six pack of 'top shelf' Oz beer)
Bling:  6/10  (pretty standard / extra point for black cardboard - looks blokey)
Taste;  

Beer 1; p1g: 6 1/2 (alright, kind of like a Cascade)                                                                            
Cowgirl; Well that's not gross!
Beer 2: p1g:  Second one is a bit better, nice malty top on it.                                                                            
Cowgirl; It's definitely gassey though - burrpp!  Don't write that.
Beer 3; p1g:  Yup - gassey burrppp. And you could drink 20 of them. Bitters and smokey coming through now.                                                                          
Cowgirl; They get better as you drink them.

Alcohol Content: 5%  1.5 standard drinks

[size=14]Review: [/size]

1. Name;

James Boag Premium Lager.

2. Brewed by;

J Boag and Son

3. From;

Tasmania/Australia.

4. Style:

Lager.

5. History/Info;

http://www.boags.com.au/Files/00689-James-Boags-Premium.asp

All scores above should attract -1 for the dodgy bullshit music on the Boag website. Please turn off sound before clicking.

"James Boag's Premium Lager has won wide acclaim since its launch in 1994, winning numerous awards recognising the high quality of this world class brew.

This superb lager, coupled with the distinctive black and white Helmut Newton advertising campaign, has made James Boag's Premium Lager appreciated as Australia's best premium beer. "

James Boag's Premium Lager is a European style lager brewed from the finest quality pilsener malts. This beer is fermented at a lower temperature (read "in Tasmania") than most Australian lagers and employs an extended maturation period. These combine with a mixture of kettle and late hopping to yield a crisp pale lager that perfectly complements fine food.

It's won some awards;

Crystal Prestige Award - 2007 International Monde Selection.

Gold Medal - 2007 International Monde Selection.

International High Quality Trophy - 2006 International Monde Selection.

Gold Medal - 2006 International Monde Selection.

History;

In 1853 James Boag commenced his brewing tradition on the banks of the Esk River in Launceston, Tasmania. *<marketing speil> Today our devotion to the brewer's craft continues. This, coupled with the pride and passion of our workforce and our commitment to building premium brands, is why today we are leading the way as Australia’s Premium Brewer.</speil>

6. Personal opinion of flavour.

Could be a Cascade but it doesnt quite have 'it'.

7. Would you buy it again. Why / Why Not.

No. I will buy a Cascade if I want a tasmanian beer.

8. Extra; I didn't mind it but felt ripped off, I could have bought a Cascade which I already know I like and I think actually tastes better.  Boag tastes like a competitor not a beer to itself. Needs um, something... personality.

Cowgirl says, "I don't actually mind it. It's got no aftertaste. I'm not doing fourex!!!"

And finally two pictures.  
1. A picture of the beer.  Above
2. A picture of you and your taste dummy friend lovely wife, drinking the beer.  
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 09:54:27 PM by thatp1g »

cleanfun4all

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 04:51:49 AM »
 :)

I would play, BUT the logistics might be a bit difficult for me.

To start with, I have NFI what a Carlton anything tastes like. In fact, I've never HEARD of Carlton beer before. There used to be a brand of cigs in the US called Carlton, but I haven't seen any of them in years.

Second, I'm not sure how much commonality there is between the beer sold in the US and beer sold in Oz.

Third, adding to the above, I fucking hate most European beer and so, that narrows things down further.

Fourth, I don't generally have anybody to taste the beer with me. Unless you want me to give some to the cat.  ;)

All of that said, if we can modify the rules a bit, I'm willing to play.  :-X

Caelum

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 09:23:22 AM »
As a former launcestonian, i take great offense that boags is 'like a competitor'.    :'(

Cascade is the shit beer in tassie, sorry!

Although i'm not a fan of *either* of the so called 'premium' lagers, both from cascade and boags, i find that the boags premium light has better flavours than both - a real summer beer.

As far as full strength beers go, from boags, try out the strongarm - it has nice sharp bitey hopps....

but don't ever say boags and cascade are similar, lest you want 500,000 angry tasmanians after you! :P

I'll be in on some of this action.... although i live on my own, so you might have to bend the rules for me!

thatp1g

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 09:59:12 AM »
go on, bend the rules gents.

dont say boags and cascade are similar

It's my opinion man. It may be uneducated but to me the first mouthful of boag reminded me cascade.

That being the point of this exercise, to offer our uneducated, unbiased opinions.  

and fuck the 500,000 tasmanians, they'd march as far as the tweed river, discover Queensland and forget what they were pissed off with me about in the first place. ;D
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 10:15:47 AM by thatp1g »

Caelum

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 10:16:56 AM »
not so far from the truth, i think ;)

yeah, not having a go at you man... and i guess compared to a lot of mainland beers, they are similar... we've got a fairly distinctive taste in tassie....

thatp1g

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 10:20:27 AM »
Beer takes on a bit of a religious fervour sometimes. Take queensland for example.  Try drinking fourex... personally i hate the stuff.  You can't say that in most pubs though without starting a blue.  

cleanfun4all

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 11:02:49 AM »

Um, okay, so can we modify the rules a bit so a Yank can play?  :-*

Caelum

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 11:25:06 AM »

Only if you drink australian beers :P

No, fosters does not count!   :P

cleanfun4all

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 12:14:10 PM »

Only if you drink australian beers :P

No, fosters does not count!   :P

Well, THAT is a relief. I've bought one six pack of Foster's in my life and I ended up giving half of it away.  :(

But, the thread title doesn't say, around Oz in 80 beers, it says, around the world in 80 beers and so, with that in mind, I'd like to play also.

But, I'm not sure how much commonality there is between beer sold in the US and beer sold in Australia and so, I'm not sure if I can really play or not.

We do have a lot of imported beer, but not much in the way of Oz beer. Well, other than Fosters.

My idea was, maybe I could post some beers and someone could enlighten me on which ones are available in Oz and we could then go from there.

admin

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 12:44:39 PM »
I've seen millers and bud for sale in OZ ... hey its a start ????

cleanfun4all

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 12:47:01 PM »
 ;D

Actually, I've been drinking Miller High Life a bit lately. It's a decent and cheap beer. Goes okay with food. But, I don't think what p1g had in mind.  :-*

I can't stand Budweiser and how they became the "King of Beers" is utterly beyond me.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 12:47:58 PM by cleanfun4all »

Dajobo

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 01:30:05 PM »
;D
I can't stand Budweiser and how they became the "King of Beers" is utterly beyond me.

Marketing marketing marketing.
They have had some awsome adds over the years.

Hardman

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2007, 01:34:16 PM »

But... but... all I really drink is Guinness... :-)

Well... not totally true, Kilkenny must be good, it disappears so fast :-)

I tend to side with Jamie, not a huge fan of Euro-beer, in Europe I tend to drink wine, but there are exceptions....

Beer in Oz can get VERY political Jamie... There was a time when every state had it's own and that was that, but for quite a time it has cross-polinated.

Ironically that first happend in the smallest population area, the Northern Territory.

When I lived in Darwin in the seventies you just ordered beer by can colour.... Each different, each defining a state really...

Since then we have developed a lot of new breweries, especially in terms of introducing the mainland to Tassie beers as Caelum notes - great beer from down there, when are they going to make a black one?  :-)

I'll play, just have to think about it :-)

As for American beer though.....

Hmm...

Even Robert Heinlein had high respect for Oz beer, "kangaroo kick" he called it in "I Will Fear No Evil."

By comparison we look upon American beer as "Gnat's piss :-) "

Yolu can't say that of UK beer, Nukie Brown can have me mellow rather fast, so can Tetley's :-)

Interesting thread...... :-)

Cheers

cleanfun4all

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2007, 02:05:33 PM »

Well, I can't stand Guinness either.  ;D

Actually, I think Guinness has the distinction of being the only beer that I've ever taken a sip and then, poured the rest down the drain...

That. among other things, makes me wonder how much I can really contribute here.

In American beer, I mostly switch between Miller and Coors. In imports, I mostly drink Corona, with a Heineken from time to time.

Is there ANYONE here who's never tasted a Corona or a Heineken?

Caelum

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2007, 02:15:49 PM »

There are very few beers that i haven't tasted over the years... or atleast the last 6 that i've been legally able to drink.

Me and a mate, when i lived in melbourne, we'd regularly save up all our spare change... usually ended up with 60-100 dollars of change, so we'd go out and buy two stubbies of a whole bunch of international/microbrewery beers..... made for a great day, couple of cases of various beers.... some of the eastern european beers are really nice... and german... wow..

Haven't done that for ages now... might have to try and organise an international beer night sometime....

Since then we have developed a lot of new breweries, especially in terms of introducing the mainland to Tassie beers as Caelum notes - great beer from down there, when are they going to make a black one?  :-)

Actually, therein lies one exception i'll make to cascade... they make a stout that is VERY nice... smooth and buttery... the first beer is ALWAYS the best... unlike others that take a few beers to get into... this one hits you right on the first time, big yummy butter flavours... whoa.

I'll try and get some next time i'm down there, bring some back for you ;o)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 02:18:57 PM by Caelum »

cleanfun4all

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2007, 02:31:37 PM »

Are you still at Hardman's?

If you are, then I'm sure it would be easy for you to find someone to have, "international beer night" with.  :-*

« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 02:31:59 PM by cleanfun4all »

Caelum

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2007, 03:02:15 PM »

Are you still at Hardman's?

If you are, then I'm sure it would be easy for you to find someone to have, "international beer night" with.  :-*

Nah, i'm back at my place now - not that it is so far away.... was a relaxing few days, much needed :)

cleanfun4all

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2007, 03:13:16 PM »

Well, if it's close by, then you can still have international beer night.  :-X

You can also tell me if Chris really knows how to cook, or if it's just all a bunch of hot air.  ;)

Caelum

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2007, 03:51:53 PM »

You can also tell me if Chris really knows how to cook, or if it's just all a bunch of hot air.  ;)

Well i've had a few decent feeds at his place now, you wont ever hear me complaining, that's for sure.

Should you ever get the chance, take it ;)

LordDread

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2007, 03:54:03 PM »

ive tasted them... and the corona i passed to a mate after the first taste... only beer ive ever rated as worse then a New :p

cleanfun4all

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2007, 03:59:18 PM »

Well i've had a few decent feeds at his place now, you wont ever hear me complaining, that's for sure.

Should you ever get the chance, take it ;)

Oh, believe me, I want to.

Even more than that, I want to show him how to actually COOK.  :-X

Unfortunately, we have a matter of time and distance. We have too much of one and not enough of the other.  :(

cleanfun4all

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2007, 04:03:13 PM »

ive tasted them... and the corona i passed to a mate after the first taste... only beer ive ever rated as worse then a New :p

I love Corona. Although, I'll admit, it's better if you drop a piece of  lime in it.

I haven't drank Hennies in years. I just meant both of them as a common beer. I had assumed the point of p1gs game is to review beers other Knucks aren't likely to have tried.

I assume everyone here has had a Corona or a Heineken at some point and so, that was my point.