Author Topic: Ok..  Maybe a bit too enthusiastic with brewi  (Read 1826 times)

AccessDenied

Ok..  Maybe a bit too enthusiastic with brewi
« on: October 14, 2007, 02:46:07 PM »
 :-X

So..  I was kegging my beer today (in honour of Richo and co. coming to visit).  And I got to thinking.

"Colin is selling some Hops Rizomes at the moment"..  So, 1 short beg to Fenn later and a pile of digging and gardening done, I now am growing me some hops.

It's amazing how easy it is to do gardening and the like when you know that there is potentially beer at the end of it.   :-[

So, hops will be hopefully flowering around March..  Won't get much in the first year.

And WOW do hops grow fast.  I was warned to expect up to 30cm growth per day for the first few days after planting it.  It just 'senses' that it has lots of room to play with and then it just goes insane til it's well set in..

Here's a useless fact:
It's sensitive to which way it has to twist (as it's a vine).  Clockwise in northern hemisphere and anti-clockwise in southern hemisphere.  Unsure what you do at equator.   ;)

Anyways..  Maybe it'll mean people will have to visit after I've got my hops culture going and people are able to sample beer made with fresh hops (Which apparently is supposed to be FAR nicer).

AD

SHREK

Re: Ok..  Maybe a bit too enthusiastic with b
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 03:04:56 PM »
must be the week for it, I just put a brew down myself I am also off to the shops on wed to buy 3 more brewers ;)

I have 300 bottles and 5 kegs to fill before summer really kick in  :-* :-* :-* :-*

AccessDenied

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 04:22:18 PM »
hehehe.   Sounds awesome.

When I was transporting the rhizome home, I had to hit the anchors quite quickly because of some burko.

In the process, the shoot from the rhizome broke..  I was all   :-/

The 2 foot shoot was now 1 foot and a sad looking broken shoot..

I planted the rhizome with it's 1 foot shoot and just looked sadly at the cutting.  oh well I thought.

Then I looked at how to keep perpetuating my hops.

"Take 1 foot cutting and stick it into a glass of water for 1 week.  When roots develop, plant and grow"

:-[

The burko had done me a favour.  TWO HOPS PLANTS FOR THE PRICE OF ONE!!!!

LOL

Happy AD.

Shrek (And any other Canberra brewer):  If you ever want some fresh hops, let me know.  I'm sure I can spare a few grams of hops here and there..   :P

AD

Sambo

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 04:54:34 PM »
That reminds me...I need to get some turbo yeast and some oak chips this week. Any decent brew shops around the southside?

AccessDenied

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 04:57:30 PM »
Only the best 2 in Canberra.

"Brew your Own at Home"

Kambah village.  (Round the back.  If you drive towards the burns club, and JUST before you get there, you turn right you'll see it there)

Calwell shopping centre:  Decent on in there.

Kambah village has turbo yeast and all the chips you need.  It is where I bought my hops plant.

AD

LogicprObe

Re: Ok..  Maybe a bit too enthusiastic with brewi
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 10:00:32 PM »
At this rate, I'm gonna have to make a trip to Canberra to try all this beer out!

Hardman

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 12:05:03 AM »
 :)

I was thinkling the boys could set up a few"lemonade" stands down parliament hill way... save us a lot of bullshit the next few weeks now the election is set :-)

Cheers

Horatio

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 09:31:41 AM »
At this rate, I'm gonna have to make a trip to Canberra to try all this beer out!

Indeed you should. Between us there are plenty of beds so mosey on accross  :)

Sounds interesting with the hop growing AD, be interested to see how it turns out.

AccessDenied

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 05:34:28 PM »
Thought a minor update..  (Should have taken pictures).

The hops as now started to take off..  1" growth today with 2 small leaves (approx 8mm each).  That is just today BTW.

Another useful/useless fact about hops.

It COMPLETELY dies back every year.  Once you have harvested, chop it back to about 1" in total.  (1" above soil).  Destroy/burn/throw away/compost the old bines.  Repeat next year.

Interesting plant really..

AD

Sambo

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 09:35:21 AM »

Interesting plant really..

AD

The world would be a sad place without it.

Offline fuknK1W1

• Panhead
  • Just dropping in...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 06:54:06 PM »
I wonder how the hops has grown?
You should of had a couple of harvests by now, how did they go?
I wonder what latitude you live on? did you know that photo periodism (day light length) is vitally important to the hops bine?
Hops is best grown around 42 od 43 degrees latitude for best results the South Africans artificially extend the daylight length with lights.
More trivia hops is the fastest growing plant in the world & is part of the cannabinacae family.
 :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
Only a real goose can swallow the proper gander.

Offline AccessDenied

• Custom Chrome Hardtail
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 10:42:12 AM »
35S for me.  Not ideal but not too bad.  Right now the grass is growing faster.  That's all the rain and lack of sun though.

A few batches done with the home-grown.  The issue is that the roots are still developing.  Expecting (hoping for) a good batch of bittering hops.

AD