Author Topic: Richo's Holiday  (Read 8614 times)

Offline Richo

• Big Kahuna
  • Fast, Cheap, Light...pick any two
    • View Profile
Richo's Holiday
« on: September 26, 2007, 11:07:42 AM »
Jump on the bikes and go...

Dec 3 to Dec 10

Not much in the way of plans....

Want to spend a night in Canberra

Want to spend a night in SE QLD @ Pig and Cowgirls

err.... thats about it for plans......

Everyone welcome, budget for roughly 150 a day for fuel -accommo -food -piss. Can even hook up with anyone who wants to come along for a few days along the way but you'll need your own wheels (ours are loaded down with a weeks worth of shit).

Ok..... need places to visit between Canberra and SE QLD .... places that make awesome photo's ... will try and make the trip a pictorial article when I get back.

Suggestions?

Cheers !!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 04:42:56 PM by admin »
Work Hard, Play Hard, Stay Hard

Meet my little Baby

Offline Frawlz

• Fucken Mister
  • Sergeant at Arms
  • G.O.C.
    • View Profile
Re: Richo's Holiday
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 11:27:07 AM »
Dude, plenty of room up here.  

As far as scenery goes, we got a bit of that too, will take you for an afternoon ride up through mapleton - maleny way.

Further south I'm no tour guide but i do know the trip from Ballina through to the gold coast is freaking magic ranges and the hinterland off the gold coast is top stuff. Check out O'Riellys and Canungra - some bloody scary goat tracks on the side of that mountain.  

Gold coast to sunshine coast is best done over the top of Mt Glorious and up the back way.

Will research that leg a bit better, might even give it a look myself before you head up this way.

Offline Richo

• Big Kahuna
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 04:51:57 PM »

Thanks P1g, you rock man!!

N.B. had to change the dates slightly -- dec 3 to dec 10

Meet my little Baby

Offline AccessDenied

• Custom Chrome Hardtail
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 05:25:01 PM »
Will confirm with Fenn, but you have a place to stay in Canberra.  (I'm sure you have NUMEROUS places to stay in Canberra if you need it).

AD

Offline Richo

• Big Kahuna
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 08:13:12 PM »

Hey thanks AD :)

Meet my little Baby

Offline Rybags

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 11:46:23 PM »

Ok..... need places to visit between Canberra and SE QLD .... places that make awesome photo's ... will try and make the trip a pictorial article when I get back.

I went with a mate some years ago to Adelaide and we came back the long touristy way.

So, some places enroute from Canberra (provided you're taking the inland route):

Cowra - site of the "Cowra Massacre".  There's not much left of the old prison camp, but there's a Japanese garden there.  Prolly more of the sort of thing you'd take the trouble&strife to though.

Forbes - Bushranger Ben Hall's grave is there.

Parkes - the radio dish.  Was there on a weekend - a bit pissweak, only the souveneir shop was open at the time.

Dubbo - Western Plains Zoo.  Didn't go there as it was an overnite stay only.  I'd guess you'd want to spend the entire day there.

[from here on, places I've not been to]

Coonabarabran - one of those places you'd just have to get a photo of you in front of the sign with the town's name.

Tamworth - country music capital.  I'd bet there'd be plenty of photoable touristy stuff there.

After that, you've got Armidale & the New England region.  Haven't been there but I'd bet there's plenty of awesome scenery and windy roads.

All up, a kinda roundabout way to go.  But, all of the roads from Canberra through to Dubbo are decent quality.  Plenty of places to stop & recharge.

Hint:  you prolly already know/have done it, but take the time to stop at those awesome road signs that have the huge distances on them like "Broken Hill 1400" etc.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 11:47:47 PM by Rybags »

Offline LordDread

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Eat da-shiang bao-tza shr duh lah doo-tze,dong ma?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 05:20:18 AM »
if you happen to end up south anytime thetre a placce here for ya's.. as for photo ops on the way nth... hundreds of them..though all the bypasses have reduced a few good ones, but damn they made the trip faster and safer now :P

Offline Rybags

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 11:47:40 AM »
I've wondered about Glenrowan.

Is there any Ned stuff there?

Gaz

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 04:06:05 PM »
Oh... I'm coming too.
Can you all make that 2 places to camp??

Offline AccessDenied

• Custom Chrome Hardtail
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 07:12:56 PM »
Fenn and I have a single bed and a foldout sofa.  After that, people are sleeping on the floor.

I suppose I should mention all this to Fenn at some stage in the near future.

AD

Offline SamboRoberts

• Big Kahuna
  • For the love of beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 07:28:17 PM »

Cowra - site of the "Cowra Massacre".  There's not much left of the old prison camp, but there's a Japanese garden there.  Prolly more of the sort of thing you'd take the trouble&strife to though.
I think you're getting the Cowra Breakout mixed up with the Coorong Massacre. :p

Richo - You know there's always a spare bed for you at my place.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 07:28:44 PM by Sambo »

Offline Richo

• Big Kahuna
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 10:30:18 PM »

How far away is your hut from AD's Sam ?  

Maybe we could get inebriated @ AD and Fenn's and crash into shit and fall over asleep at your hut instead of wrecking poor Fenns furniture  ?

Bags: been to caowra for a look @ the gardens ... very serene actually... felt really peaceful while I was there. The place was designed by a Japanese master of .. errr.... japanese gardening ... and it shows ... he came out to build it in honor of their fallen.  It had flow and form and asthetics and contrasty bits... bloody awesome actually.

Went to the Dish too.... did you know they move that massive big bastard with a tiny 3.5hp leccy motor ? Geared down about 3000:1 or something (forget the actual ratio).

Armidale and new england (thunderbolts way) was awesome.... scenic as hell .. did that one on the dorrigo run .. latest DWTV ep.

If its possible I'd like to get WAY out west... *runs off to check out a map*

LD: cheers man... will have to organise a mexico run at some point just to have a beer with you guys ! Maybe do Bag's Glenrowan stop on that one... sounds cool .. Ned !!

Meet my little Baby

Offline Horatio

• Twin Cam
  • Duty First
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 09:15:26 AM »

Mrs H and I are in Canberry, about 10mins from Sambo's place and 5mins from AD and Fenn. We've got a spare room with a queen size bed, but gaz might try to take advantage  :P
We've got a futon/double bed and a few spare mattresses... and then there's always the tent!

If you get stuck let us know.

Offline SamboRoberts

• Big Kahuna
  • For the love of beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 09:18:09 AM »
About a 15 minute taxi ride away, mate.

Offline Dajobo

• Custom Chrome Hardtail
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 10:59:52 AM »
I been giving this some thought and here's some ideas.
Lot's of this stuff is out of they way and you wont do all (if any) of it but if I was cruising on two wheels I'd look at them...

From Newcastle to Canberra-
The freeway is shit boring! Follow the coast down to Berry and then cut through Kangeroo valley on the way to Canberra. Unreal views, windy mountain road in good condition and the photo ops are everywhere.

While in Canberra-
Go for a ride down through the cotter and check out Tidbinbilla deep space tracking station. The roads through there are bikers heaven.
Also miss the Black Mountain lookout but check out the less visited Mount Pleasant and Redhill lookouts. You'll get great pics from both.

Way out west-
I grew up in Nyngan and know the way around big time out there so I'll tell you some options but I wouldn't do it.
If you decide to go to Dubbo the Western Plains Zoo is IMO the best in Australia. Allow a whole day for it though, it makes Taronga look like a little playground in comparison.

From Canberra to Dubbo the shortest way is Cowra, Molong, Wellington... Boring as.
The better way only about 20km longer is Cowra, Gooligong, Parkes... Heaps nicer ride with much nicer scenery.

From Dubbo to Nyngan is 165km through Narramine, Trangie, Nevertire. The first 40km to Narramine is nice with hills and sweeping corners. That's it though, from Narramine to Nyngan there is only one corner, in Trangie. The rest of the 125km is straight as a gun barrel. You ride for ages and all you see is a road that goes straight ahead 'till it dissappears into a heat shimmer...

If you want to make it fun, try and beat my best time of 44 minutes from Dubbo to Nyngan and not lose your licence. I did that in the early '80s on a Honda 900F with an 1180 kit it in :) Was fun but I had a sore neck for a week from the buffeting!

From Nyngan keep going northwest to Bourke, it's 220km but there is one bend in the road about 80km out of Nyngan to make it more exciting. Expect temps in the low 40s out here by early December.

Bourke is actually a really nice town with some interesting history. Back before we fucked the country it was a major trade hub with supplies coming from South Australia on paddleboat steamers. Shame the mighty Darling river is now just a creek :(

From Bourke go through Brewarrina, Walgett, Moree etc. About 900km to the Gold Coast.

I will definatly catch up with you guys in Canberra :)

Offline Richo

• Big Kahuna
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2007, 02:25:31 PM »

Thanks H !!  You'll have to come and put in an appearance on the night!!

Daj - thanks man .. I'll bring my map and get you to highlight some places of interest / help plot a route. Didn't really want to lose a day in dubbo though... just wanna hit the road.... "c'mon man  ... we're burning daylight!!" haha !

Meet my little Baby

Offline Dajobo

• Custom Chrome Hardtail
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2007, 02:52:12 PM »

There's not much of interest out there Richo. It's that bloody hot, dry and dusty even the crows fly backwards! If you go through Bathurst you can always do a lap of Mt Panorama...

From Canberra if you go through Parkes toward Dubbo, about 12km past Peakhill there's a two horse town called Tomingly. Turn left as you come out of Tomingly and theres a road straight through to Narramine. Cuts Dubbo out of the picture and saves 70km.

Canberra to Nyngan 625km.

Gaz

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2007, 03:03:40 PM »
I've been out that way Daj....
It's an HFR run

Hot
Flat
Red.

Offline Dajobo

• Custom Chrome Hardtail
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2007, 03:21:52 PM »
I've been out that way Daj....
It's an HFR run

Hot
Flat
Red.

You nailed it gaz.

BTW If you decide to go out west do not travel near dawn or dusk! The roo's out that way are mostly big reds over 6' tall and shitloads of them.
If you hit one on a bike you're cactus.

Offline Horatio

• Twin Cam
  • Duty First
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2007, 08:43:05 PM »
The better way only about 20km longer is Cowra, Gooligong, Parkes... Heaps nicer ride with much nicer scenery.
Plus fucken one!

Offline AccessDenied

• Custom Chrome Hardtail
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2007, 08:38:31 PM »
Fenn has approved BBQs and much 'merriness'.  Further, *SHE* suggested I brew a beer for the event.  I said nothing..  I swear..   :-*

AD

Offline Richo

• Big Kahuna
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2007, 09:24:26 PM »

Haha ... you've got a fantastic girl there AD ... Fenn rocks!!

Meet my little Baby

Offline Rybags

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2007, 11:16:21 PM »
Well if you're going waaay out west, that would mean Broken Hill.

I'm kinda spewin' that I didn't see the Pro Hart Gallery when I was there.  Not into art really, but I like his style.

Up around Silverton would be cool too - didn't do that, but it would be interesting to see the areas where Mad Max 2 was filmed.

White Cliffs (opal mining and underground houses).

Bourke - NFI what's there, but a good photo would be to hang your arse out next to the town's sign.

Then, photoshop it to "Backside of Bourke".

Offline Dajobo

• Custom Chrome Hardtail
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2007, 10:56:35 AM »

lol at Rybags "Backside of Bourke" idea.

You also have the "Bogan Shire Council" sign in Nyngan  ;D ;D ;D

Offline AccessDenied

• Custom Chrome Hardtail
  • Dudeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2007, 07:41:57 PM »
Fenn does indeed rock..  Love her to bits..

As for the beer (Now onto important things..   ;D)

I've decided on the brew.  It will be called "Knucklehead lager".

It will be a golden beer.
It will go down well.
It will be smooth.
It will pack a punch.

Those were my criteria.

So....  To achieve that means a relatively simple recipe (Suits the forum even better.   :-[)

It will be a light malt (As in light colour.  Not light as in light beer).  It will be then mashed at multiple temperature (THIS IS HARD WORK!!!!  It will require strict temperature control of +/- 2degrees C.)

The hops will be designed to give only slight bittering but LOTS of aroma.  (Not fart aroma.  I'll leave that up to the individuals at time of drinking)

The yeast will be chosen to given a smooth taste.

A small amount of oat will be added to give head retention.

Fingers crossed.  This should be good.  The actual work with multiple temperatures will be an experiment.  The first time either I or my mate (Another experienced brewer) have tried this trick.

I'll give an update on this beer on Saturday night or Sunday..  After the big brew.

What makes it even more scary is that there is a beer-tasting day on Saturday at the local liquor shop.

AD