Author Topic: Linux MCE vs MS MCElo  (Read 761 times)

AccessDenied

Linux MCE vs MS MCElo
« on: April 23, 2007, 02:49:27 PM »

Obviously done by a MS Basher..  But still extremely interesting.

I'll be looking at installing Linux MCE at some stage..  Got a PC.  Just need to whack a PCI Digital TV Card in..  Away I GO!!!

AD

IvanTheTerrible

Re: Linux MCE vs MS MCElo
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 09:13:50 PM »
How long did it take him to set Linux up on the machine and can it be done by someone who doesn't have a PHd in computer science.

AccessDenied

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 09:29:46 PM »
ITT:  Linux speak for 'out of the box' means "Put CD in.  Boot machine.  Accept Default settings"

So no slower or faster than the windows one..

I'm guessing that the INTERFACING may have taken longer.

HOWEVER, the fact that the linux one detected the interfacing on 'autoconfig' though is a good sign..

I think the fact that it can bluetooth interface with mobile phones to turn ANY bluetooth mobile into a remote is pretty cool though..  :P

AD

Horatio

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 01:26:59 PM »

Looks very impressive. Whilst I like the idea of the 'gyro-remote', I think I would still prefer one of those groovy Logitech Harmony multi function jobbies.

AccessDenied

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 05:22:45 PM »
I was thinking..

Would you be able to use a Nintendo Wii remote?  It's a bluetooth device and there already exist drivers and hacks to use the Wii remote as a mouse on a PC....

I'm download Linux MCE as we speak..

I'll try it out sometime soon and give MY opinion of it..

AD

IvanTheTerrible

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 07:32:27 PM »
Do you have to have Linux installed first?

AccessDenied

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 01:22:59 PM »
Yup.

Runs on Ubuntu 6.10

Not a bad system U6.10 either..

It 99% of the time detects everything happily.  It could detect my yum-cha wireless PCMCIA network device.  Always a good sign with linux.

So..  If you want this..  You've got approx 1.5 gig of downloads ahead of you.  (Yes.  I got the lot..  HOPEFULLY, I install this weekend.  If it works.  I'll post about it.  Just gotta get a Digital TV Tuner PCI Card)

AD